Sign in to follow this  
Lauren

Aviation Thread

Actually having read a bit more, they've been delayed not suspended whilst checks are made on security there as there are fears it is not adequate.

IS are now saying they sneaked a bomb on the plane and they'll reveal in time how they did it. Read as: we are trying to pretend we did this, so are making it up as we go along.

I am sceptical they were involved, they would have been far more vocal about it and the details if they had. I could be wrong.

Monarch Airlines has no further flights between the UK and Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt tonight

Thomson and Easyjet both have flights due to leave tonight

Easyjet have cancelled one to Gatwick and one to Luton is delayed and probably going to be cancelled

Thomson have one to Manchester again this one is delayed and probably going to be cancelled

Edited by Summer Sun

Actually having read a bit more, they've been delayed not suspended whilst checks are made on security there as there are fears it is not adequate.

IS are now saying they sneaked a bomb on the plane and they'll reveal in time how they did it. Read as: we are trying to pretend we did this, so are making it up as we go along.

I am sceptical they were involved, they would have been far more vocal about it and the details if they had. I could be wrong.

I think that is quite possible - a member of IS could have gained employment as ground staff, or an existing member could have been put under pressure and thus have more freedom to move around and board aircraft than your average traveller these days. There's always a weak link in every chain, perhaps they found it, though they may well not reveal exactly how they did it because they may want to use the method again.

Obviously a wise precaution until more is known.

Thomson Airways says it has temporarily suspended flights to and from Sharm el-Sheikh with immediate effect following Monarch Airlines Easyjet also have flights to / from Sharm but they've made no announcement yet

Agreed. If it was a fully co-ordinated IS attack you would have thought they'd have made a video in advance or immediately after the incident claiming full responsibility.

Edited by Nick L

Agreed. If it was a fully co-ordinated IS attack you would have thought they'd have made a video in advance or immediately after the incident claiming full responsibility.

That's what I mean. Historically as soon as an event happens they come out with a claim, normally with some sort of high quality, movie like video to go with it.

There could be a weak link in the security chain, it wouldn't be the first time, but something about this seems off for IS.

Getting a bomb onto a plane isn't rocket science. Security is not 100% effective, if you keep trying, the chances are at some point, something will get through, just as it does with most terror attacks which are foiled, but on occasion one will get through. If you couple that with lax security at Sharm, then you can make that happen very quickly.

If they were responsible for the plane coming down I doubt they will make public any evidence on how it was done, because if they did do it then they have obviously found a major weak spot in security protocols which they may attempt to exploit again in the future? 

Depends what it was. As I said if Sharm security was lax, pretty much anyone could smuggle a bomb through. If however they have breached security in a way that foiled proper security measures, then yes, I can imagine they'd want to keep it secret. I somewhat suspect if they did it, it's the first way though. I imagine all staff associated with the preparation of that flight will be fully investigated.

Back of the plane is rumoured to be where the impact was where is the luggage hold on those planes?

Thomas Cook currently has 1,700 customers in Sharm

Edited by Summer Sun

Back of the plane is rumoured to be where the impact was where is the luggage hold on those planes?

Luggage is stored in compartments in the underside of the aircraft, beneath where people sit. 

Pure speculation on my part,but i am begining to suspect this

May have been a suicide bomber,with some kind of liquid

Bomb,i meam how difficult is it?,yes security take most liquids

From you at security,but hay presto,once past security you can

Buy it buy the bucket load.in the main security at all airports

Seems to have improved,but the terrorist always seems to be

One step ahead.There is obviously something not wright for

Airlines to stop flying ovet Egypt,obviously guidance will have

Been taken after the cobra meeting.

C.S

Luggage is stored in compartments in the underside of the aircraft, beneath where people sit. 

Luggage holds on A321.

As Subzero say under the passengers. 2 holds on the A321 front and rear.

post-1808-0-67358900-1446668791_thumb.pn

Luggage holds on A321.

As Subzero say under the passengers. 2 holds on the A321 front and rear.

attachicon.gifs7.png

Cargo hold also at rear of A321

C.S

Have you forgotten that they did but everybody scoffed at it and assumed they had no weapons to be able to do so.

Watching BBC News live on the news channel and apparently US Officials have said early intelligence suggests a bomb did bring down the Russian Airbus. 

Have you forgotten that they did but everybody scoffed at it and assumed they had no weapons to be able to do so.

But IS claim responsibility for pretty much every disaster that happens. I'm sure they'd claim for natural disasters if they thought they could get away with it. I mean, they might have done it, but it wouldn't be the first time they falsely claimed something.

But IS claim responsibility for pretty much every disaster that happens. I'm sure they'd claim for natural disasters if they thought they could get away with it. I mean, they might have done it, but it wouldn't be the first time they falsely claimed something.

US intelligence statement reported on CNN.

(CNN)[breaking news alert, posted at 3:15 p.m. ET Wednesday]

The latest U.S. intelligence suggests that the crash of Metrojet Flight 9268 was most likely caused by a bomb on the plane planted by ISIS or an ISIS affiliate, according to a U.S. official familiar with the matter. The official stressed that there has not been a formal conclusion reached by the U.S. intelligence community. "There is a definite feeling it was an explosive device planted in luggage or somewhere on the plane," the official told CNN's Barbara Starr.

The assessment was reached, the official said, by looking back at intelligence reports that had been gathered before Saturday's plane crash and intelligence gathered since then. The United States did not have credible or verified intelligence of a specific threat prior to the crash, however, the official said, prior to the incident, "there had been additional activity in Sinai that had caught our attention."

Edited by Gael_Force

With the amount of information available at the moment I would suggest that the sneaking of a bomb on board is the most plausible theory.

If you think about it there is not that much that can go wrong with a modern airliner at 31,000 feet - regrettably it has taken prior disasters and loss of life to build something which is pretty reliable.

Even with both engines out the aircraft will still glide and the crew would still be able to get a message out and most of the time pick out a reasonably safe place to make a forced landing (if over land) if there is no airfield within the gliding distance. 

Three aircraft which have been lost from a more or less cruising altitude in recent times the first being MH370, which with the passage of time and subsequent events looks like it may have been pilot suicide. Then there is the German Wings crash in the Alps about which there is little doubt that it was pilot suicide. After which there was MH 370 and here there is little doubt that this aircraft was shot out of the sky by a missile.

The other loss which was AF445, there is little doubt that this was pilot error by putting the wrong input into the controls - the blocked frozen pito tube was not the main cause and with proper input into the controls the stall situation could have been recovered, really indicating that there was nothing seriously wrong with the aircraft.

I am not sure of the pressurisation configuration of this aircraft but in any case a bomb in the cargo hold brought down the aircraft over Lockerbie and it does not take very much explosive to fatally damage the air frame and once this is holed it would cause an immediate decompression which could make things worse. 

Such a bomb would be relatively easy to construct and could be detonated either by a timer or aneroid barometer.

Considering the people who would work on such an aircraft between flights such as the cleaners, baggage handlers and caterers it would be very difficult to keep them all under first rate security surveillance, so the possibility is always there that someone so intentioned could get through the net. In order to prevent this from happening the security staff will need to be lucky all the time but for the terrorist would only need to be lucky once. 

I agree with the other post which explains a possible reluctance by IS to reveal exactly how they did it because they may well wish to use the same method again.

In any case with the black boxes recovered and modern forensics I am pretty sure that they will be able to determine the cause of this disaster.

It's worth pointing out that no trace of explosives have been found yet and it's normally found pretty quickly.

It's worth pointing out that no trace of explosives have been found yet and it's normally found pretty quickly.

It still takes time to do a proper analysis Lauren, all the parts have to be picked up and reassembled and I would not expect details to be released until they are sure.

Up to 20,000 Britons are stranded in Sharm emergency short-term measures to fly UK tourists home should be in place for tomorrow

Thomson Airways and Thomas Cook have cancelled all flights to Sharm el Sheikh up-to and including Thursday November 12th

It still takes time to do a proper analysis Lauren, all the parts have to be picked up and reassembled and I would not expect details to be released until they are sure.

Oh I'm not disputing that, just historically, explosive residue is normally found pretty quickly. Just because it hasn't been found yet, doesn't mean it might not be there.

Highly likely a explosive device was detonated on board IMO just look at the wreckage I think many perished before impact it would have been absolutely terrifying - I'm getting a whiff of terrorism out of this.

Edited by Daniel*

What about the wreckage makes you think explosives, out of interest?