Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Lauren

Aviation Thread

http://aviation-safety.net/photos/displayphoto.php?id=20151031-0&vnr=1&kind=G

Indicative of an aircraft with catastrophic elevator/engine/structural failure. A similar climb and decent pattern was seen in these aircrashes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines_Flight_123

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800

Edited by Lauren

Lufthansa and Air France, have decided to avoid flying over the Sinai Peninsula until they get a clear explanation of what caused Saturday's crash in the area according to reuters

@SkyNewsBreak

Update - wife of co-pilot of Russian plane that crashed over Sinai in Egypt says her husband had complained about the plane's condition

This mornings fog caused issues with a British Airways flight from Sao Paulo to London diverted to Glasgow, and an Air India plane was diverted to Paris.

I was once on a plane that was delayed 5 hours due to fog at our destination. Some angry passengers were getting annoyed because 'there's not a cloud in the sky here'. It didn't matter how much the staff tried to explain, they couldn't grasp the weather could be different a thousand miles away. I swear some passengers leave their brains at home when they go on holiday.

I was once on a plane that was delayed 5 hours due to fog at our destination. Some angry passengers were getting annoyed because 'there's not a cloud in the sky here'. It didn't matter how much the staff tried to explain, they couldn't grasp the weather could be different a thousand miles away. I swear some passengers leave their brains at home when they go on holiday.

Me too at CDG a few years ago. There was a violent thunderstorm going on and all ground operations and flights were suspended. Several Brits lay siege to the departure lounge desk demanding to be told why the flight was not boarding immediately and why they were delayed. OK guys, you go, let's get an aircraft specially for you, enjoy the ride if you don't get struck by lightning getting to the plane. Me, I'm quite happy to wait just as long as it takes...

This is starting to look more like a bomb on board or a missile attack...oh dear.

Highly unlikely to be a Missile attack,due to the altitude the Aircraft broke up,out of range for a surface to air Missile.

However due to the lack of a May day call a Bomb,or serious engine failure looks the Likely cause

C.S

Highly unlikely to be a Missile attack,due to the altitude the Aircraft broke up,out of range for a surface to air Missile.

However due to the lack of a May day call a Bomb,or serious engine failure looks the Likely cause

C.S

Highly unlikely they've got their hands on a BUK launching system or equivalent ,looks like a maintainance fault ,albeit a very tragic one ..

Highly unlikely they've got their hands on a BUK launching system or equivalent ,looks like a maintainance fault ,albeit a very tragic one ..

Saudis have surface to air missiles capable of easily reaching above 30,000ft.

.....and they are supplying lots of groups in the region. 

Saudis have surface to air missiles capable of easily reaching above 30,000ft.

.....and they are supplying lots of groups in the region.

aye , possible or perhaps a plain old bomb on board ,the wreckage looks reminiscent of the Lockerbie atrocity ..

My friend just flew back from Barcelona. No problems, but some folks were really scared including her seatmate. Visual footage of accidents like this really affect people.

A report that the plane broke in two in mid air with one part burning, that to me suggests that some foul play was involved? 

aye , possible or perhaps a plain old bomb on board ,the wreckage looks reminiscent of the Lockerbie atrocity ..

Yes I agree, a bomb getting through lax security at Sharm el Sheikh would be a more likely scenario.

A report that the plane broke in two in mid air with one part burning, that to me suggests that some foul play was involved? 

Bomb on board or missile strike. Airbus aircraft do not break up mid flight with no pilot advisory of a problem...

My friend just flew back from Barcelona. No problems, but some folks were really scared including her seatmate. Visual footage of accidents like this really affect people.

that's true flew to Barcelona not long after 911 ,a definite tenseness on board ..

And yet, they probably got in their car with no second thought. Fear of flying is funny like that.

I drive everyday without thought, I love flying, I'm not scared of it and know how safe it is and yet, every time I step on board, an accident is always in the back of my mind.

Maybe if people flew on a regular basis, that fear would be less.

Exactly. 30 flights for me last year. I have to admit to being sick "using the bag" on one or two, but most were "routine". I fly a lot, and the most scary part is always the journey to or from the airport!

Exactly. 30 flights for me last year. I have to admit to being sick "using the bag" on one or two, but most were "routine". I fly a lot, and the most scary part is always the journey to or from the airport!

Blimey, you must rack up some airline loyalty points!

that's mad I do have a neighbour that flies to oz and back every 3 weeks or so ...

Having been on site at Lockerbie, that was my immediate thought when seeing the aerial footage. The terrorist message made no mention of a missile; just that they had brought down the plane. 'Brought down' is a common enough euphemism in our language and has been used previously for bomb on board incidents but I wonder if the translation from the original lost some context.

Mainly Ryanair and Jet2 with no points, but have a nice rack up with Air France. Flying with their kid "HOP" for he first time in December...kind of like Lufthansa's Germanwings