Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Lauren

Aviation Thread

For all the pilots, wannabe pilots, aviation enthusiasts or people who have questions about aviation. It seems there are a lot of us here and it ties in nicely with our love of weather!

Amazing there wasn't any casualties, metal on metal rarely has positive outcomes ..

What camera did you go for, Scott?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3158899/Flights-diverted-cost-millions-demonstrators-stage-lie-protest-Heathrow-Airport-s-north-runway-protest-expansion-plan.html

Idiots.

No one likes the idea of climate change but they just endangered the lives of hundreds of people. What exactly do they think is going to happen? Everyone is going to stop flying and walk everywhere? We need airport expansion and it has to happen somewhere. Considering aifcraft are only getting 'greener' and your A380 and 787 are far more fuel efficient than a car, it's nowhere near as devastating as it once was. I hope none of them ever fly because that would make them massive hypocrites.

Edited by Lauren

And they also just caused inconvenience and needless cost to private individuals, businesses and the wider economy. What do they want - even more congested airspace in the UK along with the migration of business opportunities to better connected hub locations in other countries?

Yesterday's storm in the Netherlands caused problems at Schiphol

Pilots really earn their money in situations like this

When we've had those very windy days it's been cool to watch Flight Radar 24 to see so many aircraft going around and to hear the ATC from it all. It's easy to take the two up front for granted in good conditions, but when the weather gets rough that training really kicks in.

Flying is the only form of transport where in the back of your mind is the constant thought, 'will I survive this'. :(:help:

Flying is the only form of transport where in the back of your mind is the constant thought, 'will I survive this'. :(:help:

that and Christmas shopping :0..

A British Airways flight caught fire while preparing for take-off on the runway at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas.

Thirteen people were injured after one of engines caught fire.

The Boeing 777, flight 2276, had 159 passengers and 13 crew on board.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34194501

Now nothing that newsworthy there really, everyone evacuated safely. However watching the video footage in the report above, at around 56secs into the footage you can see passengers from the aircraft walking across the runway clearly carrying/dragging hand luggage.

Now excuse me, but if the aircraft engine is on fire, the aircraft comes to a halt on the runway and the emergency slides are deployed, what kind of idiot stops to get their hand luggage out of the overhead lockers before evacuating? We're not just talking the odd handbag either, there's at least one 'wheely case'. You can see the fire services in the background still spraying foam on the aircraft so it's clearly when the incident was still 'fresh'.

Edited by Ravelin

The engine suffered a catastrophic failure and caught fire, the people hurt were injured in the very quick evacuation. Not surprised everybody on one picture I saw were carrying their luggage...Selfish and stupid. Down an evac' slide with luggage, is bad behavior I say.

Anyway glad they were alright in the end and glad the Engine was an American one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34194501

Now nothing that newsworthy there really, everyone evacuated safely. However watching the video footage in the report above, at around 56secs into the footage you can see passengers from the aircraft walking across the runway clearly carrying/dragging hand luggage.

Now excuse me, but if the aircraft engine is on fire, the aircraft comes to a halt on the runway and the emergency slides are deployed, what kind of idiot stops to get their hand luggage out of the overhead lockers before evacuating? We're not just talking the odd handbag either, there's at least one 'wheely case'. You can see the fire services in the background still spraying foam on the aircraft so it's clearly when the incident was still 'fresh'.

Anyone getting in my way to grab a bag while evacuating an aircraft would get a firm shove and a few choice words. Idiots.

Anyone getting in my way to grab a bag while evacuating an aircraft would get a firm shove and a few choice words. Idiots.

Me, their luggage would be unceremoniously chucked out of the aircraft door, hopefully to be spread all across the runway.

Seriously though, anyone who evacuated down the slide with more than a handbag/small bag hastily grabbed from beneath their feet as they exited should receive a life ban from flying. It's a blatant disregard of the rules when evacuating the aircraft and endangers the safety of the other passengers.

An interesting article here from a reporter who happened to be on the flight, he makes a fair point that people can tend to react in different ways when panic sets in. 

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/09/british-airways-fire-we-saw-the-smoke-the-smell-was-bitter-it-was-time-to-panic

Interesting account, and even more 'interesting' comments.

Maybe one solution to the 'baggage problem' would be to have the overhead lockers automatically lock/unlock, say in conjunction with the 'fasten seatbelt signs' (could be manually overridden by cabin crew if necessary). So on take off and landing the overhead lockers will be inaccessible, and likely to remain so in the event of an 'incident'. 

P.S. It'll also stop the "must be first off" rush as soon as any plane lands i.e. people up and ferreting before it's finished taxiing to the stand.

Edited by Ravelin

We've got a little problem with the BA plane - no kidding!

People do stupid things in an emergency, they don't always think rationally. They could have costs lives. Idiots. Honestly, I would have majorly fined everyone who came off that bag with any sort of hefty overhead baggage. I can forgive purses as you tend to have these on your person, but getting those chunky cases out is dangerous.

Professionals handled the situation beautifully and it's when stuff like this happens that all that training comes in handy. It's often easy to forget how well trained aviation personnel are.

It reminds me of how people reacted on 9/11 when their building was hit, they took files and paperwork with them or finished their coffees before evacuating even though there was fire around them.

Sorry to be a pain, but could we stick this in the aviation thread in The Lounge?

Edited by Lauren

Interesting account, and even more 'interesting' comments.

Maybe one solution to the 'baggage problem' would be to have the overhead lockers automatically lock/unlock, say in conjunction with the 'fasten seatbelt signs' (could be manually overridden by cabin crew if necessary). So on take off and landing the overhead lockers will be inaccessible, and likely to remain so in the event of an 'incident'. 

P.S. It'll also stop the "must be first off" rush as soon as any plane lands i.e. people up and ferreting before it's finished taxiing to the stand.

Only problem with that is often fire fighting/first aid equipment for the crew are kept in them, so would have to be only on specific lockers.