Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas 2018

Stuart

Posted

Yes unfortunately for the seventh year in a row now, christmas day is forecast to be mild with little chance of snow, away from higher ground in the far NW.

It feels a bit of a kick in the teeth this year, given how since mid November we have had plenty of cold weather, alas the snow came 2 weeks to early, and bang on cue for the run in to christmas things have turned mild - the first predominantly mild weekend since early November is on the way - sods law indeed!

Next week promises some wintry fayre for the north, especially for places with a bit of height, but no prolonged cold weather, just average conditions.

Always next year!

• Like 1

Posted

Yes unfortunately for the seventh year in a row now, christmas day is forecast to be mild with little chance of snow, away from higher ground in the far NW.

It feels a bit of a kick in the teeth this year, given how since mid November we have had plenty of cold weather, alas the snow came 2 weeks to early, and bang on cue for the run in to christmas things have turned mild - the first predominantly mild weekend since early November is on the way - sods law indeed!

Next week promises some wintry fayre for the north, especially for places with a bit of height, but no prolonged cold weather, just average conditions.

Always next year!

Posted

Always next year!

Posted

Always next year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

always find mid dec to mid Jan the most westerly time of the year, always feel more chance of cold spells between Mid Nov and Mid Dec, maybe because PV not fully developed? and jet not as strong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

TheWeatherOutlook says

Unsettled weather is expected during the Christmas period. On Christmas Day rain pushing southeastwards is expected to be followed by colder conditions from the northwest.There is still some uncertainty about timing but during the second half of the day some northern locations could see falling snow. There is also the possibility of snow falling over high ground in Wales before the day is over. Therefore the twentieth update makes no change to the chance of a White Christmas in both the north and south of the UK.

A final call on the Christmas Day weather is expected on Saturday 23rd December.

Chance of snow on Christmas Day

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire:12%
South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 5%

Update 20 22/12/2017

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/Christmas-weather-forecast

Posted
On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 21:09, damianslaw said:

Always next year!

I think that there have been very few years where most of the UK away from high ground in the north have seen snowfall on Christmas Day.  In recent years Christmas 2010 saw snow on the ground from earlier falls, as did 1981, but nowhere saw snow falling in either of those.  Parts of Britain also had snow on the ground on Christmas Day 2009, although I do not think that very many places actually saw falling snow.  I believe that a number of places saw falling snow on Christmas Day 2004, although there was no widespread snow cover.  I think a few parts of the country saw falling snow on Christmas Day 2000 but I do not think very many places actually saw it settle.  If anyone can think of any more wintry Christmases in recent years, they are welcome to add more to my list.

Posted

What's the betting we have a white easter next year - given how early it is! I remember 2008 delivered a white easter and was equally early, after a very mild winter and christmas. Indeed odds of snow in the north at least are as equal in March as they are in December.

Whilst Christmas Day looks green for most, away from high ground in Scotland, some places could see a bit of the white stuff inbetween christmas and new year at least.. 28th Dec currently looks interesting, a transient spell of snow albeit, but could be quite a few surprises..

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

Unsettled weather is expected during the Christmas period. On Christmas Day rain pushing southeastwards is expected to be followed by colder conditions from the northwest.There is still some uncertainty about timing but during the second half of the day some northern locations could see falling snow. There is also the possibility of snow falling over high ground in Wales before the day is over. Therefore the twenty-first update increases the chance of a White Christmas in both the north and south (which Wales has been included in) of the UK.

A final call on the Christmas Day weather is expected on Sunday 24th December.

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire:15%
South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 7%

Update 21 23/12/2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
22 hours ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

I think that there have been very few years where most of the UK away from high ground in the north have seen snowfall on Christmas Day.  In recent years Christmas 2010 saw snow on the ground from earlier falls, as did 1981, but nowhere saw snow falling in either of those.  Parts of Britain also had snow on the ground on Christmas Day 2009, although I do not think that very many places actually saw falling snow.  I believe that a number of places saw falling snow on Christmas Day 2004, although there was no widespread snow cover.  I think a few parts of the country saw falling snow on Christmas Day 2000 but I do not think very many places actually saw it settle.  If anyone can think of any more wintry Christmases in recent years, they are welcome to add more to my list.

There was definitely snow in 2004; if i remember it was slightly frosty in the morning - but by late afternoon 4 o'clock-ish it did start to snow. It was only a slight covering, but welcome all the same.

I can't recall the exact year, possibly 2002/3, but I was only off for the 2 days,and returned to work on the 27th; low and behold, woke up and it was snowing, with a light covering already......it carried on for most of the morning - I was certainly peed off.

Posted

A transition to colder conditions will take place during the next 48 hours and some locations in the north and west are expected to record a White Christmas. A band of rain and snow could push into southern and central regions on Boxing Day.   

Christmas Eve begins dry and mild across much of the UK but in northern and western Scotland there are heavy outbreaks of rain. The wet weather slowly spreads southwards into parts of north western England and Northern Ireland during the course of the day. Elsewhere it stays mostly overcast and it will be windy.

It will be mild with temperatures ranging from 10C (50F) to 13C (55F). See the rainfall radar for the latest view.

Tonight rain affects much of the northern half of the UK and in the west  it becomes heavy. Southern and central areas remain mainly dry and clearer and colder weather returns to the far north.

Christmas Day weather

Rain in northern and western areas spreads eastwards through the day. Over high ground in the north and west there is an increasing chance of snow as it turns colder. Brighter conditions follow into the north west but wintry showers develop. Southern and eastern England keep a good deal of dry and mild weather until late in the day.  

Most places have a green Christmas but as the Meteo France Arpege precipitation type shows, there is a chance of snow in parts of the north and west during the second half of the day.

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=hp1_1_sta&id=1615

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

A green Christmas Day is called for most of the UK. Colder air will be pushing into northern and western ares during the day and some locations could record a "technical" White Christmas with snow falling but not necessarily settling. On Boxing Day it will be colder all areas.

Have a great Christmas regardless of the weather you get!

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire:14%
South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 5%

Update 22 24/12/2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
On 22/12/2017 at 23:49, North-Easterly Blast said:

1995 is one that sticks out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

My only technical white Xmas that I can remember was 2010 (im 27).

I lived in York at the time and we had good snowcover on the ground, then in the afternoon with had the briefest of flurries.

Im hoping one day I will see a "proper" white Xmas as in heavy snowfall for much of the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Showing as sleet,  which is technically mixture of snow and rain, over both Newcastle airport and Newcastle met office station at Albermarle barracks, so fingers crossed I get another pay out. Often have had to send screen shots in past when it's technical for proof. 

But at least I have the tradition of drinking wine and watching the radar on Christmas night, so many years even of recent I've missed out By minutes or hours as the cold shots sandwiched a milder Christmas. 

Merry Christmas to all,  there are a few places with snow falling today so not all bad,  with many more chances elsewhere this week

S71225-215327.jpg

Edited by geordiekev

Posted
13 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Any updates for Glasgow and Dundee? 

Have both at 16-1

Glasgow been showing as sleet since 8pm, with snow but far away

S71225-222729.jpg

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

When you review your bets check the location your bookie uses as its not always the same as the met office- when I checked before there Always low locations minimising the prospect of falling snow

There not stupid !

Aye,I've had that issue As most in Newcastle use to use albermarle barracks where the nearest met station is as its high up. Last year coral said they use the main airport despite not being a met station there. They said they have a person on observations, right

Steve, being in quite a prime location, I'm well aware the radar can be way off. I've often been buried when the radar shows rain :yahoo:

Edited by geordiekev