Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas 2018

Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Dami said:

It's really not much to ask, some snow Xmas eve evening, just a few flurries and maybe one or two next day. Not asking for 5 foot just a few flurries. Or when we go out to see santa, the most it managed to do was give us a grey cloudy sky. 

The revolting December last year made it really difficult to get into a Christmassy mood.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Dami said:

It's really not much to ask, some snow Xmas eve evening, just a few flurries and maybe one or two next day. Not asking for 5 foot just a few flurries. Or when we go out to see santa, the most it managed to do was give us a grey cloudy sky. 

Need to move to Moscow:oops:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The revolting December last year made it really difficult to get into a Christmassy mood.

Had my fan on and was going out without a coat, last December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It doesn't matter how lovely and warm it's been, it's Autumn and therefore we should be expecting it too be cooler, and it must of snowed at Xmas at some point as the cards are full of it. In November I would expect to have to wrap up to watch fireworks, yet alone December, should be in my woolly hat and scarf, slipping hot chocolate doing Christmas shopping. I find that a joy, to be cosy and warm. I dread to think how it would be when my bubs is  my age, she won't know what a true winter is yet alone any snow and that's very sad. 

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dami said:

It doesn't matter how lovely and warm it's been, it's Autumn and therefore we should be expecting it too be cooler, and it must of snowed at Xmas at some point as the cards are full of it. In November I would expect to have to wrap up to watch fireworks, yet alone December, should be in my woolly hat and scarf, slipping hot chocolate doing Christmas shopping. I find that a joy, to be cosy and warm. I dread to think how it would be when my bubs is  my age, she won't know what a true winter is yet alone any snow and that's very sad. 

Be sunbathing sipping a martini

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
24 minutes ago, Dami said:

She might grow up to hate snow, just like most people I know.

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

TheWeatherOutlook daily update says

Our third update makes no change to the chance of snow with a green Christmas considered the most likely outcome away from high ground in the north. Since the last update seasonal forecasting models have offered more evidence for a 'front loaded winter'. If this is the outcome the highest chance of widespread cold and snow may occur between late November and the first half of January, possibly coinciding with Christmas.

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day
North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 20%
South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 15%

Forecast issued
Update 3, 24/09/2016

The computer says [Issued 25/09/2016 11:24:16]

It's expected to be too mild for snow in the south.

Cold but dry conditions are expected in Wales

Cold but dry conditions are expected in the Midlands

It's expected to be too mild for snow in the north.

Cold but dry conditions are expected in Scotland

It's expected to be too mild for snow in Northern Ireland.

Cold but dry conditions are expected in the Republic of Ireland

Cold but dry conditions are expected in the Netherlands

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/Christmas-weather-forecast

The computer says garbage because that is garbage. Look at it.

Too mild for snow in Northern Ireland and the north and the south but cold and dry for everyone else.

How is that synoptically possible?

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

The computer says garbage because that is garbage. Look at it.

Too mild for snow in Northern Ireland and the north and the south but cold and dry for everyone else.

How is that synoptically possible?

I don't think they really care, clicks = ad revenue!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Last winter and Christmas weather really was the pits! I see madden was out in force again a few days ago, warning of 4 months of snow. Then doing his usual and trying to dramatise the normal winter weather we get every year lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 hours ago, gsteruk said:

Last winter and Christmas weather really was the pits! I see madden was out in force again a few days ago, warning of 4 months of snow. Then doing his usual and trying to dramatise the normal winter weather we get every year lol

just like I can warn 4 months of flooding and gales, madden or Atlantic 252, think I know who will be more accurate!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

just like I can warn 4 months of flooding and gales, madden or Atlantic 252, think I know who will be more accurate!

Yes always got to take your posts with a pinch of salt... Have you ever applied for a job at the Daily Express?

• Like 1

Posted
On 9/25/2016 at 16:31, Nick L said:

I don't think they really care, clicks = ad revenue!

That's what journalists at the Daily Express admitted - what they print sells, even if it's garbage. It's good business practice, you have to admit. We're in the money!

Edited by cheese

Posted

It would be nice to have a cold xmas. I think 2012? was the closest we came in recent times - last great snowfall here leading up to xmas (unfortunately the wind and rain and thaw arrived just before xmas eve i think)

Last december was disgusting and i'm a heat lover. Did not feel like Christmas at all. I remember going home on Christmas eve from work early because i had a banging headache from the humidity and it was just yuck.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
On 9/29/2016 at 14:05, MP-R said:

Yes always got to take your posts with a pinch of salt... Have you ever applied for a job at the Daily Express?

Pinch of salt...:) with the way he goes on with the continuous posts regarding "gales & floods"......We'll need Noah's ark!!!!

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe cold

i think we will have a cold Christmas this year due to the low sunspot number, whether it snows or not is a different matter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I also suspect that this year's Xmas might be a tad colder. I just think it'll have more to do with synoptic weather-patterns than how many sunspots there happen to be?

Posted
23 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I also suspect that this year's Xmas might be a tad colder. I just think it'll have more to do with synoptic weather-patterns than how many sunspots there happen to be?

Not a great believer in solar activity, and its effect upon the jet stream then Pete?

Posted
26 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

We had a max of 13C on Christmas Day last year, and 15C on Boxing Day. It won't take much for it to be colder than last year.

I also find it funny how on Boxing Day last year we had severe floods, but the year before we had snow. Total contrast. I wonder what this year will bring?

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Not a great believer in solar activity, and its effect upon the jet stream then Pete?

I don't discount it by any means, Dave; I just happen to think that there are plenty of, arguably far more powerful, down-to-earth influences to consider first?

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I don't discount it by any means, Dave; I just happen to think that there are plenty of, arguably far more powerful, down-to-earth influences to consider first?

Agreed Pete, only one part of the puzzle, although for me, I would consider its influence to be right up there, so to speak.:D:cold:

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

"It's expected to be too mild for snow in Northern Ireland." 

"Snow is expected in the Republic of Ireland"

One or the other! 

It's insultingly and hilariously bad. Snow expected in Scotland and Ireland but N Ireland is too mild?

Posted

Xmas eve 2004 was great. I drove from London to Scotland. As I hit the border it started snowing. I got to Killearn and it was snowing hard. Woke up Christmas day to a proper White Christmas about 3 inches everywhere. Was gone within a few days but was awesome. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe cold

i do believe there are two major influences in the northern hemisphere, and they are sunspot number, and the north Atlantic current, just like2009,when there was the BP oil spill that disrupted the current and the sunspot number was 0 that year, what happened, a great winter. however this year the sunspot number is low, the current is going well which tells me the winter will be colder, but maybe not snowy. 

Edited by irishlad69