Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas 2018

Stuart

Posted
20 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Where are you located? We struck lucky in 2004 and 2010, and the last 2 technical white Christmas days. There have been a number of 25 Dec with snow on the ground but no snow falling, 1993, 2009 fall into the category. I think we had a wintry shower in 2001. 1981 I think may have been a technical white Christmas - a long stretch between 1981 and 2004 mind..

I'm close to the dutch coast, during my lifetime there have been white Christmases in 1981, 2009 and 2010 in de Bilt but not where I live. I spent 2009 and 2010 Christmases in Utrecht, close to the Bilt and there was some of the disgusting week old stuff on the ground on some spots, not really a white Christmas. I don't actually remember 1981

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

This will be my 30th Christmas and I will have seen snow on the ground on Christmas twice, in 2009 and 2010. I have never seen snow falling on Christmas, though supposedly snow did fall at Elland Road in Leeds in 2009. Both Christmas Day 2009 and 2010 were very cold but beautifully sunny.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The only "proper" White Christmas I had was 2004, got an inch or two during a heavy snow shower in the evening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Have had quite a few  with snow lying being of a certain age but only one or two with any snow falling. Deepest was 1981 then 2009, followed by 2010. Best by a country mile though was 1995 with an all out powder snow  blizzard lasting until lunchtime.

Still some reasonable odds at the Bookies for this year despite odds coming in today. Saw 7/4 Aberdeen, 10/3 Edinburgh, 4/1 Newcastle and 6/1 Birmingham amongst others. Edit 11/2 Leeds was another good one.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

The only "proper" White Christmas I had was 2004, got an inch or two during a heavy snow shower in the evening. 

Yes and me, few flurries in morning, started here around 2pm, assume you were in Cannock

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

My first Christmas in Scotland, 1979, Dad secretly arranged for a neighbour to put our Xmas-present sledge on the front path, ring the doorbell and run away, so we little 'uns really did half-think it was Father Christmas who'd left the beautiful wooden sledge with gleaming runners on the path outside the front door for us. 

I don't know if it snowed or not on the day in Edinburgh but there was a lot of good dry powdery snow, fresh-fallen and compacted - no slush, no nasty grey stuff like cities usually have - proper old-fashioned lovely white snow everywhere, all very Famous Five! 

then I had to wait til 2010 for my next one...! Still have the sledge, took it out over the six weeks of the Big Snow and helped folks get their shopping home. I had tons of fun, just hung around outside nearby shops offering to help folk, sit the kids on the sledge holding the bags, or if no kids, use bungees to hold bags on, and tow the shopping, offering one of my spiked alpenstocks to older folk with unsure footing to help them up hills... technically it was a public service but actually it was just me enjoying the snow and being out in it for hour after hour after hour...! :) 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Saw this picture on Twitter - Leeds city centre, Christmas Eve 2009. Maybe if we're lucky we'll see a repeat this year!

C0TyRlmXgAEu0zv.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

TheWeatherOutlook says

Christmas Day is now within range of the 16 day GFS / GEFS computer model. Updates are every 6 hours and until the big day is less than a week away large swings in the forecast remain very possible. At the present time there are signs of it becoming less cold after mid-month. Milder conditions may not last for long and the ensembles are tentatively suggesting that temperatures could be on the way down by December 25th. Therefore the fifteenth update makes no change to the chance of a White Christmas in both the north and south of the UK.

But please remember:

1) There is a long time for things to change

2) Even during milder than average winter months cold snaps can bring snow

Chance of snow on Christmas Day

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire:18%
South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 13%

Update 15 09/12/2017

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/Christmas-weather-forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Mild Xmas this year SS, trend is there on all models, could be super mild in eastern parts

Always seems to be late Dec to late Jan, when the Atlantic is in full swing

Posted

I remember 2012 the last time we had a cold first half to December then then mild came in, only for the cold to come back after the New Year, quite frustrating. 2008 quite similiar except the cold returned just after christmas day.

Still christmas is a long way off.

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

Christmas Day is now well within range of the 16 day GFS / GEFS computer model. Updates are every 6 hours and until the big day is less than a week away large swings in the forecast remain possible. At the present time the medium rage signals are very mixed. Although there are signs of it becoming less cold for a time an increasing number of computer model runs are suggesting the possibility of colder conditions returning as we head towards December 25th. Therefore the sixteenth update makes no change and considers the chance of a White Christmas in both the north and south of the UK to be slightly greater than the average.

But please remember:

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire:18%
South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 13%

Update 16 13/12/2017

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

Christmas Day is now well within range of the 16 day GFS / GEFS computer model. Updates are every 6 hours and until the big day is less than a week away large swings in the forecast remain possible.

During the last couple of days the computer models have been firming up and increasingly point towards relatively mild weather on Christmas Day. As is often the case snow looks more likely on high ground in the north. Therefore the seventeenth update suggests a reduced chance of a White Christmas in both the north and south of the UK.

But please remember:

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire:12%
South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 5%

Update 17 16/12/2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Lets hope GFS 12z is right for North Yorkshire (and other insignificant areas of the UK) seeing snow falling on Xmas day :yahoo:

168-574UK.GIF?18-12

• Like 1

Posted
On 05/09/2015 at 19:37, lassie23 said:

I have more chance of a Terodactyl crapping on my car, than it snowing on Christmas day in London. The last time there was falling snow in the capital was in the 11th century. :D

In 1990 i think it was, we woke to heavy snow in Oxford, missed a white christmas by a few hours, pity it was boxing day.

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

Computer models are showing unsettled weather developing during the Christmas period. At the moment it looks like outbreaks of rain will be pushing southeastwards on December 25th with colder and showery air following on from the northwest. In the north there is the potential for showers to be wintry so some places could record a White Christmas. Therefore the nineteenth update makes no change to the chance of a White Christmas in both the north and south of the UK.

Due to uncertainty about the forecast details a final call on the Christmas Day weather is not expected before Saturday morning.

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire:12%
South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 5%

Update 19 20/12/2017