Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Oceanography was a job that i hoped would turn into a life long career but family issues forced me to change my path in life but i still follow all i can on the subject.

I don't believe the AMOC will stop like some doom sayers mention but even a small reduction in the flow will and i believe already has begun to change the weather in the UK.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Differences globally but 2000 is the most similar recent year for the Atlantic SST pattern..

anomnight.6.20.2000.gif

anomnight.5_31_2018.thumb.gif.06db8c17af

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice spot SB. Interesting how it's so similar globally (allowing for overall warming of the Pacific) yet pretty much a complete reverse in the vicinity of the UK 🤔.

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Nice spot SB. Interesting how it's so similar globally (allowing for overall warming of the Pacific) yet pretty much a complete reverse in the vicinity of the UK 🤔.

Some of that could be down to ice melt possibly. We know that in a lot of years the North Pacific looks absurdly cold for few weeks on the anomolies but it usually clears itself up (obviously looks worse in -PDO years).

I would also add for those who believe the Met Office's May SST-Winter NAO link, this is a horrifically awful pattern. The exact opposite tripole to what we want. 

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see I still have some reach. :D

I do have in plan to do a post on Atlantic with some more data, like different depths and also salinity anomalies. Might also add a cross-section or two. All from the well respected datasets MERCATOR and UKMOs GloSEA5.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Edited by knocker
  • Thanks 1

The area where hurricanes form has cooled a fair bit in the last week

cdas-sflux_ssta_eatl_1.thumb.png.b0559c69f41ebd7d873ce441403510d7.png

• Thanks 1

As things stand it looks like we are headed for a cold Atlantic full stop. 

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

Not a bad thing in removing the +NAO tripole somewhat.

• Thanks 1

To do a quick update. Atlantic subsurface temps are below average just like the surface ones.

thetao_in_Met_O_GLO_PHYS_dm_TEM_15330367       thetao_in_Met_O_GLO_PHYS_dm_TEM_15330356  

And a cross section by latitude over Atlantic at 20W and 30W for Juney showing that cooler waters are not just near the surface.

Potential_temperature_depth_belo_in_ocnm  Potential_temperature_depth_belo_in_ocnm

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Recretos said:

To do a quick update. Atlantic subsurface temps are below average just like the surface ones.

thetao_in_Met_O_GLO_PHYS_dm_TEM_15330367       thetao_in_Met_O_GLO_PHYS_dm_TEM_15330356  

And a cross section by latitude over Atlantic at 20W and 30W for Juney showing that cooler waters are not just near the surface.

Potential_temperature_depth_belo_in_ocnm  Potential_temperature_depth_belo_in_ocnm

Nice charts.

The grey areas on the cross section charts = missing data?

• Like 1