Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 1 September 2015 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

has there actually been any notable thundery activity anywhere today, tbh this set up wasn't going to be a thunderfest was it,  bring back the warm southerly plumes  !

There is a thunderstorm near to Harwich/Felixstowe but not much anywhere else. You are right though, no thunderfest expected today. I do hope to see another southerly plume during September/October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Black sky and towering cbs approaching me in north Bristol from the northwest. No thunder likely but it looks like some thick rainshafts on the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Lovely big fluffy thunderhead looking clouds over London/Essex way. The one above us just dumped some torrential rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Just had 2 flashes of lightning that erupted with 2 loud bangs of thunder but I think that's all I'm going to get for today :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

This lot came and chased us in Oxford yesterday, torrential rain got us from a massive grey bit to the left of this lovely big white cloud.

post-22381-0-74181700-1441214913_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We never seem to do well with these stupid spotty popcorn storms - but seem to do well when storms are organised and thus affect a larger area.

More plumes please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

We never seem to do well with these stupid spotty popcorn storms - but seem to do well when storms are organised and thus affect a larger area.More plumes please.

You is just greedy innit....

Thus is the cell just East of Coventry that is still producing Sferics.

It's left hand tail is becoming detached and most of the precipitation is dying out now.

20150902_183135_zpsgzujdrgd.jpg

Quite a shame as there was some rotation there.

20150902_182907_zps1bbrmd5i.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Two METAR readings, both from RAF Valley on Anglesey, Wales at 16:50 and 17:05 (BST) this afternoon, have flagged up an FC (Funnel Cloud/Tornado/WaterSpout)

Can't see anything mentioned throughout Twitter in that region though. :/

METAR

EGOV 021550Z 36009KT 9999 FC FEW018 SCT032 BKN055 13/11 Q1019 BLU TEMPO SCT018 WHT

EGOV 021605Z 34009KT 9999 VCFC FEW018 SCT032 BKN060 13/10 Q1019 BLU TEMPO SCT018 WHT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Been on holiday this last week and had a couple storms, one which was very intense, I have been trying to find a site which shows the strikers over the past few days or even 24 hours, does anybody know of such?

Here you go -> LightningMaps Archive. That archive is from now and goes back to 2011. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

To my surprise had this nice shelf cloud approach at about 8pm yesterday looking from the perimeter fence of Norwich airport.

Short video here..

One of our members from my facebook page captured a nice beavers tail on a storm near bury st edmunds. Radar seems to show it being a right mover. Recorded the radar of it will post later when I got it sorted.

That was the road we used on our way back from friends in North Norfolk, but we were around an hour later, after it got dark.  Road was pretty wet, though.

Posted

It is a fair distance away but for a few runs of the GFS and NMM there has been a risk of some storms showing on Saturday. CAPE looks to develop across western and central areas by midday and moves north-east near to the centre of an area of low pressure. There will be ample moisture and also some deep layer shear in place. I am also interested in a triple point which is showing up on the met office pressure charts for the same time and same area. It is one to watch for now as if these parameters do come together we could have a decent convective situation.

• Like 3

Posted

It is a fair distance away but for a few runs of the GFS and NMM there has been a risk of some storms showing on Saturday. CAPE looks to develop across western and central areas by midday and moves north-east near to the centre of an area of low pressure. There will be ample moisture and also some deep layer shear in place. I am also interested in a triple point which is showing up on the met office pressure charts for the same time and same area. It is one to watch for now as if these parameters do come together we could have a decent convective situation.

Good shout - it's still showing on the latest run over East Yorkshire.

Does anyone know wtf that cross in the bottom left-hand corner is? The white circle around it is mine to highlight it!

post-23162-0-51721100-1441877040_thumb.g

Edited by Davethedog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow warning for heavy rain issued for Northern Ireland

Issued at: 0852 on Thu 10 Sep 2015

Valid from: 1500 on Fri 11 Sep 2015

Valid to: 1400 on Sat 12 Sep 2015

Outbreaks of rain will spread eastwards across Northern Ireland from late morning Friday, probably turning persistent and heavy in places from Friday afternoon and into Saturday before clearing from the west. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption due to flooding and hazardous driving conditions.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

The settled spell will break down as an Atlantic low pressure system pushes in across the area. More than 60 mm could fall within 24 hours in places, though most parts are likely to have much less than this, and at this stage there remains a lot of uncertainty about how extensive and heavy the rain will be.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Warnings_Rain&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1441926000&regionName=ni

Posted

Good shout - it's still showing on the latest run over East Yorkshire.

Does anyone know wtf that cross in the bottom left-hand corner is? The white circle around it is mine to highlight it!

attachicon.gif27424542.gif

It is indicating the area of low pressure which is old tropical storm Henri.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Wednesday is looking very wet on the past few runs from GFS only places likely to escape during the day are northern Ireland and most of Scotland

ukprec.pngukprec.pngukprec.pngukprec.pngukprec.png

Some very high rain totals for parts of Wales by D10

240-777UK.GIF?12-6

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Risk of some storms For the south west tomorrow evening/Monday. One to keep an eye on. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

There is a few pokey cells developing now,sferics S of Notts.