Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 1 September 2015 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

Just took this looking east

DSC_0054.JPG

Yes, I saw it too. Did you see all the mammatus? Very impressive!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Just had hail and tremendous flash of lightning! I love convective showers in Winter. :)

Just had the exact same experience! Very loud and not that far from here! 

A great start to what could be a very interesting period of weather to come this week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
9 minutes ago, Christchurch storm nut said:

Just had the exact same experience! Very loud and not that far from here! 

A great start to what could be a very interesting period of weather to come this week.

I see it on the ATD. I could also hear long-distance rumbling- wasn't sure if it was thunder or not, I guess it was?! :)
Absolutely tipping down here.

Just heard another rumble.

Edited by Mapantz
Weather update

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Radar showing several lightning strikes in the NW of Scotland, around Ullapool, with heavy snow showers. Must be fun up there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Waiting at the tram stop to go to my uni lecture at the moment. There are some lovely anvils over Merseyside:

20160115_092330.thumb.jpg.96bf9c8d1a7538

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

Waiting at the tram stop to go to my uni lecture at the moment. There are some lovely anvils over Merseyside:

20160115_092330.thumb.jpg.96bf9c8d1a7538

saw one flash of lightning  at about 0715am in the dark this morning, driving into work in st helens ,  from those cells I assume

Edited by IanR

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Great to get rid of the drossy drizzle and fog over here in Limousin and have it replaced by some nice convective cloudscapes. Great for distracting me away form my work! Didn't appreciate being woken up at 0400 by the howling wind and hail though!

IMG_1525.thumb.JPG.67054f4e69fb1d6ae8652IMG_1526.thumb.JPG.b2cabacf2dfcf3998c55bIMG_1527.thumb.JPG.94ad2d1c07030641d3cfbIMG_1528.thumb.JPG.8e08f88b3d5a5f03690e6IMG_1529.thumb.JPG.125bb74d1072575e62bc5IMG_1530.thumb.JPG.a53da7ba23247264e4f10

IMG_1531.thumb.JPG.39685a65df719cf62ea2bIMG_1532.thumb.JPG.fca115d7cca4413ad9ab8

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1

Posted

Longwave trough and cold air/steep lapse rates overspreading country over weekend and into next week (albeit with transitory ridge during Sunday), so chances for cloudscapes of the sort above.  Looking increasingly likely to be a bright and showery day for my birthday this year.  Though bit far out to gauge just how showery, or whether there's a chance of thunder this far inland being at most thunderless part of the year. Western coastal areas fair bet though.  Still, small interest convective-wise in general over next several days.  

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Not strictly 'convective discussion' I know, but I am hoping someone in here might have the answer.

I was thinking about a video that someone posted on here a little while back. It was of a particularly intense storm with a lot of lightning, approaching what I think was a trailer park, somewhere in the states. If this jogs anyones memory, it would be great to get a link to the video, or even back to the thread page where this was discussed, I seem to remember a few good videos were posted. I am wondering if it is buried deep in an old convective discussion.

Any help appreciated!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, dave48 said:

Not strictly 'convective discussion' I know, but I am hoping someone in here might have the answer.

I was thinking about a video that someone posted on here a little while back. It was of a particularly intense storm with a lot of lightning, approaching what I think was a trailer park, somewhere in the states. If this jogs anyones memory, it would be great to get a link to the video, or even back to the thread page where this was discussed, I seem to remember a few good videos were posted. I am wondering if it is buried deep in an old convective discussion.

Any help appreciated!

Sounds like one I think I posted up last year. I'll dig it out in a bit.

Posted

Nice to see medium-range (T216/240) GFS/ECM outputs showing favourable amplified 500mb profile for decent convective potential, dropping deep trough over UK with instability responding to increased solar input.  

Obviously low likelihood at this range. Nice to have something other than snow potential to set your sights on on model outputs.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
On 25/02/2016 at 10:10 AM, weather09 said:

Nice to see medium-range (T216/240) GFS/ECM outputs showing favourable amplified 500mb profile for decent convective potential, dropping deep trough over UK with instability responding to increased solar input.  

Obviously low likelihood at this range. Nice to have something other than snow potential to set your sights on on model outputs.

Excellent call as always!

I've been periodically glancing at the output since your post, and it has maintained the theme throughout. Wednesday looks fun for many areas, everything bar the proverbial sink being thrown in!

Posted

Thanks!  

Yes, have been glancing outputs since too and predicted broad upper trough/ridge pattern has remained for this week, with particular interest in Weds/Fri where we see cold(er) air at 500mb overspreading country. Weak CAPE modeled both days given dry surface air mass with direction of flow, in turn meaning high LCLs/cloud base. Weds has the colder air aloft, however wrap-around occlusion likely to make things messy.  Still, outputs generally point to low risk of thunder for both periods.

Edited by weather09
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

didn't expect posting on this page so early in the year, but was awoken by some loud rumbles of thunder an hour or so ago...nice