Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 1 September 2015 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yet another storm for yorkshire this year. Parts of Northern England have done very well this year compared to most down here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Sheffield had nothing as per usual :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Do any of you people think Newcastle will get any storms/heavy rain?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I think just cos Yorkshire got a supercell months ago it doesn't mean that it's been a good year generally in the UK for storms. Personally I think it's been well below par. Like someone said earlier the forecasts are very generous with lightning and tornado talk and almost every time we get a bust. These years happen and that's fine but compare our weather with many, many other parts of the world and we're lucky if we get a few strikes all day.

I have said this plenty of times before but I'll say it again - a tiny bit of sporadic lightning does not a thunderstorm make!

Posted

I have said this plenty of times before but I'll say it again - a tiny bit of sporadic lightning does not a thunderstorm make!

Not what the official definition says

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I think just cos Yorkshire got a supercell months ago it doesn't mean that it's been a good year generally in the UK for storms. Personally I think it's been well below par. Like someone said earlier the forecasts are very generous with lightning and tornado talk and almost every time we get a bust. These years happen and that's fine but compare our weather with many, many other parts of the world and we're lucky if we get a few strikes all day.

I think someone has sour grapes! I'm sorry that it's been rubbish in your neck of the woods but in this part of the world it's been absolutely fine - comparing the storm season here to somewhere like France is incredibly pointless. Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I don't think it's been as bad a year for storms as some are suggesting, perhaps from an IMBY perspestive for some of us but that doesn't mean it's been a poor year countrywide. For my location personally we've had better years! But I don't generally experience that many storms here anyway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

That was a poop-inducing strike. Very loud thunder.

Ooh! Thunder in Leeds. Hubby reported just now on the phone having seen a few flashes over the Aire Valley toward Leeds earlier this evening. You're actually doing better than me here in France today, believe it or not! We had great storms last night, and yes, a few rumbles today and some very heavy rain but no visible lightning.

Mind you, many of us were woken by an enormous explosion of thunder at near 0300 which was incredible. People heard it for many many tens of kilometres. I couldn't get back to sleep until near 0400 and I stayed in bed until 0930!

You can't compare the UK's storm record to a continental climate which is so much more extreme. Both are unpredictable - that's nature - but it's so much better for you when you get the extremes. Just enjoy what we get, eh, and share it happily...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I don't think it's been as bad a year for storms as some are suggesting, perhaps from an IMBY perspestive for some of us but that doesn't mean it's been a poor year countrywide. For my location personally we've had better years! But I don't generally experience that many storms here anyway. 

Yes. I'd imagine the type of storms you witness the most are Windstorms rather than Thunderstorms in your part of the world.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Was on my break at work today(6pm) and had a fair few rumbles of thunder,at least a dozen and a few flashes of lightning,the storm had already past to the north though so just missed out on the good stuff,i took my cam with me but nowt to capture :( ,if i had my break at 5:50 pm then i would have got some footage

finished at 10 pm and called to one of the local shops for a bevy or two :D  and the shop had been flooded out earlier and there was a lot of mopping up going off,and also,i enjoyed the viewing of the different fog layers as i drove home,really eiry but i don't think i have seen fog in layers like that before,well it does look like it will be quiet in here until next year,maybe the polar maritime northwesterlies may bring the odd flash from now on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Yes. I'd imagine the type of storms you witness the most are Windstorms rather than Thunderstorms in your part of the world.

Yes and that's how I prefer it!! Love a good windstorm, getting into that time of year again... But that's for another thread :)

Posted

Been lucky this year re storms.Had another decent one at half 7 here in Bingley,West yorks.And my team(Bradford)had their game postponed right at kickoff 7:45ish.9-10 big booms also with just bright cloud lightening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Flooding in parts of Leeds this morning. Along the streams that join the Aire. Huge spike in river levels - 22 mm yesterday so not surprising.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Torrential rain in the NE and North Yorkshire last night and early this morning quite a bit of flooding around including the A1 at Catterick

4299449.png?display=1&htype=53&type=mc3

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

We had torrential rain, heavier rain and then later on when the rain moved North we had spinning torrential showers..and then this, didn't get much bigger before it collapsed...

20151006_182100_zpsuge5fach.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Huge amout of rain just now odd rumble of thunder aswell not seen it like this for quite some time! The street is like a river

Morley got the local headlines http://m.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/video-footage-of-flash-flooding-in-leeds-1-7500800