Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 1 September 2015 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

I can see the top of a giant anvil out the (pub) window. It's to the south and west of Guildford.

Looks like my reverse psychology worked! Showers popping up to the west of London and drifting southwards... YaY!!!

I see it! Ooh, lightning on lightningmaps!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Looks like western areas of the South are likely to miss out on any further showers or storms and it's all now confined to Eastern coasts.

Not a particularly active day though - I remember Sept and Oct last year we had lots of smaller storms all along the south coast. This year it seems to be the midlands and (as usual) Lincs and East Anglia.

Grrrr. Woof.

Since when...You have not done too bad this year..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Since when...You have not done too bad this year..

You can't be serious! Godalming received one direct hit this year that I know of and that was just a squally shower.

There have been some awesome storms for sure - but I've had to go chase them to other places so I would say from an IMBY perspective, no not a good year... YET!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Just saw this out of the corner of my eye while driving home through garforth. I dunno if it's actually a funnel or just looks like one but it came from an intense shower which had very nice towering convection when viewed from the other side..post-7351-0-54448100-1442596139_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Just looks like some scud cloud to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

You can't be serious! Godalming received one direct hit this year that I know of and that was just a squally shower.

There have been some awesome storms for sure - but I've had to go chase them to other places so I would say from an IMBY perspective, no not a good year... YET!!

This year has been average to be fair. But the storms of July really were quite spectacular. Even seeing the lightning over Cambridge 30 miles away on the night of July 16th was absolutely incredible, and hearing the constant low level booming!

July 4th being the best event for myself and many others. The 1st July was easily a 1 in 20 year event for the northern regions with those 3 supercells!

Overall, I'd rank this year well above the likes of 2008, 2010 and 2011!!

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

This year has been average to be fair. But the storms of July really were quite spectacular. Even seeing the lightning over Cambridge 30 miles away on the night of July 16th was absolutely incredible, and hearing the constant low level booming!

July 4th being the best event for myself and many others. The 1st July was easily a 1 in 20 year event for the northern regions with those 3 supercells!

Overall, I'd rank this year well above the likes of 2008, 2010 and 2011!!

Last year would be best for me. Two classic (and 'proper') thunderstorm events of significance. Missed out on at least 3 others which with hindsight I should've chased or prepared for (slept through one :-0 ) but I don't keep any records so unfortunately I can't give more detail of when they were.

Suffice to say the July 17/18 storms were almost perfect - especially the 17th (IIRC) which was literally like clockwork - and I watched it being born!!!

See, now you've got me gone all nostalgic!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Last year would be best for me. Two classic (and 'proper') thunderstorm events of significance. Missed out on at least 3 others which with hindsight I should've chased or prepared for (slept through one :-0 ) but I don't keep any records so unfortunately I can't give more detail of when they were.

Suffice to say the July 17/18 storms were almost perfect - especially the 17th (IIRC) which was literally like clockwork - and I watched it being born!!!

See, now you've got me gone all nostalgic!

Yes, I will never forget the July storm last year. The lightning was overhead and the thunder was ground shaking. Also, the frequency was insane, although it did get less frequent as it passed over, the frequency watching it in the distance was every 3-5 seconds. 

I heard the first rumble at 1:17am, and the last rumble was at 5:40am. Insane!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Incredible storm coming through here right now! A nice gust front with very strong winds. Insane rotation all over the place. Now under the heaviest rain i've seen in years. The sky is a really dark olive green colour, very eerie indeed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I do keep records and agree that this year has been about average. There have not been many good storm days with a rubbish spring but July produced some great ones.

The best year for me was last year and that will take some beating. 2013 had some amazing storms but all within 2 weeks in the Midlands, the rest of the season was not that good. 2006 a very good year too. 2007, 2010, 2011 the worst. This is all since 2004.

Posted

While people are mentioning storms from last year I cannot help but mention the night exactly a year ago (18th Sept-19th Sept) when we had a storm between 18.00-20.00 and then a fantastic electrical storm late evening until around 02.00! It was, locally, better than what had happened on the 17th-19th July!

Posted

While people are mentioning storms from last year I cannot help but mention the night exactly a year ago (18th Sept-19th Sept) when we had a storm between 18.00-20.00 and then a fantastic electrical storm late evening until around 02.00! It was, locally, better than what had happened on the 17th-19th July!

I remember driving to a local hill with a view NE and watching distant lightning flickering away (including forks!) from an intense storm around the NE Somerset area!

I also saw frequent lightning (every few seconds) flickering in cloud tops to the south in the early hours, and we then had a decent storm the next morning here although not quite as intense as the evening one over the Wiltshire/Somerset area.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

I's been a very good year for thunder here in East Manchester, certainly much better than last year. I would normally expect to see on average 7 days of thunder in the entire year, but I'm already up to 11 days so far this year...

post-21671-0-07160900-1442602518_thumb.p

Edited by Thunderbolt_
  • Like 3

Posted

I'm hoping that over the next month (or possibly two) we get the coastal convergence storms like last year. I think that Wiltshire storm might have been one of those. My worry is the season might already be over for storms here in the UK. That makes me sad :-(

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Just saw this out of the corner of my eye while driving home through garforth. I dunno if it's actually a funnel or just looks like one but it came from an intense shower which had very nice towering convection when viewed from the other side..attachicon.gif20150918_180037.jpg

Certainly Looks like a funnel-cloud to me.

Edited by Sprites

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I'm hoping that over the next month (or possibly two) we get the coastal convergence storms like last year. I think that Wiltshire storm might have been one of those. My worry is the season might already be over for storms here in the UK. That makes me sad :-(

I remember the one sometime in november, was sort of like todays showers this morning but with lightning in every cell, started about 2am finished at about 12pm. 

Posted

Found this video of one of the storms this summer. It's the one that happened on July 16th and this is long after it left London. By this point was just about to exit into the North Sea. Reckon this must have been a supercell - check out the frequency of lightning. Gets more intense toward the end - sorry it hasn't been edited and a bit blurry...

http://youtu.be/ibeabo0FkSM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

We had a few rumbles of thunder and a couple of flashes seen at around 4pm today. That finished and half an hour of persistent heavy rain followed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I may be clutching at straws here but I am seeing the slight possibility of some thundery activity moving into western parts this evening and then transferring slowly south-eastwards through the night. CAPE is nothing special, neither are other parameters but enough for a couple of weak storms I think.

Nowhere can I see any mention of storms though so I may be missing something.

I may be clutching at straws here but I am seeing the slight possibility of some thundery activity moving into western parts this evening and then transferring slowly south-eastwards through the night. CAPE is nothing special, neither are other parameters but enough for a couple of weak storms I think.

I to seen this.. More concerning is the amount of rain ...

nmm_uk1-25-7-0.png?21-12

nmm_uk1-25-36-0.png?21-13

From now till tomorrow evening some places seeing 30-40mm widely 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

I agree, heard nothing about storms anywhere then I pop on the BBC and see the risk of "Thunderstorms" moving in from the west. Okay Okay...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

I can very much believe that there may be some thundery showers this afternoon. The rain band cleared here about an hour ago and has left behind sunshine and obvious signs of convection. Since there are still a good few hours of daylight left, I definately wouldn't rule out the possibility of the odd thundery shower.

post-21671-0-75663700-1442845087_thumb.j

Posted

It is getting to the time of year when overnight coastal storms begin to become frequent under LOW pressure and especially when troughs move through from the W/NW as will happen tonight. The Bristol Channel and English Channel coasts could get frequent downpours, hail and lightning/thunder from around midnight to 07.00 tomorrow.

Posted

Complex developments around an unpredictable low pressure tonight but quite a few models (NAE, NMM) develop storms across the south coast. Other models support development of storms around the low pressure core as it moves across SE England for tomorrow mornings commute. NMM in particular suggests a storm risk across Essex.