Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Newspaper websites

I was going to post this in the Lounge section, but wondered whether the references to newspaper websites might require it to be posted here. 

Just recently, I've noticed a perceptible decline in the quality of many of the Guardian's online news, analysis and opinion columns.  Although some of this has been in articles relating to the Labour leadership campaigns, in which the paper has been less than balanced in its reporting on the candidates, I'm not a supporter of any one of them, so I don't want to get into that debate.  In general, I've been aware of a decline for a while now, and decide, the other week, to set-up an online ID on the Independent website, as, when I was a Sixth-Form student some time late last millennium and would flick through the copy on their magazine rack, it was a damn good broadsheet, albeit at times a bit "arty" for a heathen science type.  Anyway, today, I decided to log in to the Independent site, and chose an article on new carbon-dating of a wooden statue found in Russia during the late 19th century.  It appears that this statue was around 2000 years older than previously thought, suggesting that hunter-gatherers in the Urals had sophisticated culture at the same time as farming was appearing in the Middle East.  I then scrolled-down to the comments, and was left staggered by this:

Theories based on theories based on theories... all presented as fact.

See Darwinism, Gravity, Big Bangs and other disprovable 'science'.

I thought some of the comments on the Guardian site were bad enough, but the assertion that gravitation is disprovable floored me :shok: .  Anyway, what I'm getting-at is, if not the Independent, then where, for a moderate left-of-centre person who has no delusions of great intellect but who still wouldn't have any interest in the Mirror's online presence?  Any suggestions gratefully received! 8)

You can see the decline across the printed media and journalism in general.
Local Press and online versions are a shadow of their former selves and seem to think a news story can be cooked up from quote mining facebook and twitter.

Worse than that they seem easy prey to junk stories like this example, which seems to stem from a firm promoting pest control.
It's almost completely devoid of any actual credibility. Rubbish like this would never have been put out as a story even ten years ago.
http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/local/ant-invasion-disrupting-summer-hotel-business-1-7415818

I did use to rate the Guardian, Telegraph and Times equally (all had their bias but the quality from all was top notch) however i too have noticed that the Guardian has lowered itself to writing a constant stream of pro-feminism, pro-diversity articles and is no longer as hard hitting as it was. 

I only know of two dead tree papers that are bucking the trend in Scotland, i.e. have seen increasing sales.

The Sunday Herald and the National.

Both moderate centre to left. Decent reads both.

Not much use to you though I'd imagine; wrong country (and pro-independence!).

I only know of two dead tree papers that are bucking the trend in Scotland, i.e. have seen increasing sales.

Guardian and Telegraph Online are growing. 

I did use to rate the Guardian, Telegraph and Times equally (all had their bias but the quality from all was top notch) however i too have noticed that the Guardian has lowered itself to writing a constant stream of pro-feminism, pro-diversity articles and is no longer as hard hitting as it was. 

I wouldn't mind the Times online version had Murdoch not put it behind a paywall.  Back when it was free, I quite liked it.  My respect for the Telegraph dropped when they encouraged their Tory readers to falsely join the Labour party in order to doctor the result of the leadership election, which I thought was awful (and that isn't due to any bias on my part towards any of the candidates).  In addition, I found some of the "hanging and flogging is too good for them" commenters were raising my blood pressure as their comments on those less fortunate than themselves were incredibly distasteful.  Some comments were perilously close to advocating for Nazi-esque work camps (no exaggeration), though not quite advocating for gas chambers.  Many seemed to think that all those on benefits, even working Tax Credits or DLA, were less human than them.  I don't mind moderate right-of-centre politics, given that, occasionally, my views are more centre-right than centre-left, but there was a strong overtone of right-wing extremeism to the place.

Indeed.  Independence was one case where my views aligned more right-of-centre.

Have seen a few decent science based articles in the New York Times. I think they still know how to investigatt.

British journalism is dire.

Pity the levenson inquiry recommendations didn't get passed in full. Sadly more people like trash stories rather than proper researched articles of importance.

I was going to post this in the Lounge section, but wondered whether the references to newspaper websites might require it to be posted here. 

Just recently, I've noticed a perceptible decline in the quality of many of the Guardian's online news, analysis and opinion columns.  Although some of this has been in articles relating to the Labour leadership campaigns, in which the paper has been less than balanced in its reporting on the candidates, I'm not a supporter of any one of them, so I don't want to get into that debate.  In general, I've been aware of a decline for a while now, and decide, the other week, to set-up an online ID on the Independent website, as, when I was a Sixth-Form student some time late last millennium and would flick through the copy on their magazine rack, it was a damn good broadsheet, albeit at times a bit "arty" for a heathen science type.  Anyway, today, I decided to log in to the Independent site, and chose an article on new carbon-dating of a wooden statue found in Russia during the late 19th century.  It appears that this statue was around 2000 years older than previously thought, suggesting that hunter-gatherers in the Urals had sophisticated culture at the same time as farming was appearing in the Middle East.  I then scrolled-down to the comments, and was left staggered by this:

I thought some of the comments on the Guardian site were bad enough, but the assertion that gravitation is disprovable floored me :shok: .  Anyway, what I'm getting-at is, if not the Independent, then where, for a moderate left-of-centre person who has no delusions of great intellect but who still wouldn't have any interest in the Mirror's online presence?  Any suggestions gratefully received! 8)

Sorry but I think when it comes to comments below articles your always going to get idiot posts these days. A lot of people believe things they read on the web, people just seem a lot more impressionable these days, and people spreading all these silly gravity doesn't exist type stuff can be very persuasive, to the point of accusing people of working for the government, to shut things up, when not agreed with. 

Sorry but I think when it comes to comments below articles your always going to get idiot posts these days. A lot of people believe things they read on the web, people just seem a lot more impressionable these days, and people spreading all these silly gravity doesn't exist type stuff can be very persuasive, to the point of accusing people of working for the government, to shut things up, when not agreed with. 

Sadly, I think you're probably right, in particular in your suggestion that people seem impressionable nowadays.