Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot last day of summer 2005

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

August 2005 was a nice month. In fact, summer 2005 in general was quite nice. June was probably the stand-out month relative to average.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Remember this day more for the thunderstorms than the heat. The humidity was sky high but the 30th was actually the hottest day of the month here. August 2005 was a really decent month in this neck of the woods, warm to hot days with predominantly fresh nights and plentiful sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

remember it, seems very unusual to get heat that late in year, not happened often, certainly not last 6 years

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I remember June 2005 being a lovely month one of the best June I can think of but its often forgotten...I don't really remember much else about July or August 2005..what I did notice in the vid was the fact that the BBC weather graphics are they really over 10 years old now? only seems like yesterday they changed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Certainly remembered this day for the thunderstorms we had throughout the evening and overnight. They were tremendous. They came on top of what was a lovely scorching day too. Blue skies with 31c achieved here. The best possible way to round off a decent summer!

Also to add, this forecast really did underestimate the storm activity further South. You can see for yourself that there was a thread on here discussing this event. Places such as Berkshire, Hampshire all the way up into Lincolnshire and West Norfolk got a pasting. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

Yes, Ill always remember this for the thunderstorms in the evening which dropped 10.7mm. It was a warm day too, reaching 26.3C after a warm night (15.1C min) in a month which saw only one other day record a min above 14C.

Posted

August

Overall about average temperatures - some high temperatures were offset by some cool nights. A minimum of +0.8C was recorded at Braemar on the night of the 8-9th. It was slightly drier than average in the south, and slightly wetter than average in the north, with most of the rain coming in an unsettled period from the 19th-25th. It was quite dry in the NE and far SW, and particularly on the Isle of Man. It was slightly sunnier than average, and particularly sunny on the Devon and Dorset coasts. There were some violent thunderstorms in the south on the 19th; 51 mm of rain fell at Portsdown, near Portsmouth, most of it in half an hour. The month ended with an exceptional short-lived hot spell: 32.1C was recorded at Northolt (London) on the 31st, the highest temperature so late in the year since 1949. The southerly winds brought a dustfall and was followed by a thundery breakdown.

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/britweather.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

21.9c here with a few rumbles of thunder and big flash of sheet lightning,warmest day that month was 22.5c a week earlier.

Had a warmer day in September at 22.9c

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120050904.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Summer 2005 would, to my mind, have gone down as a great one had it not been for the dull and cold last third of July.  In Tyneside there were probably less than 10 hours of sunshine from the 21st-31st inclusive.  I went to Leeds on the 31st August and remember a big thunderstorm in the early evening, which is primarily what I remember the day for, but it was also hot prior to the arrival of the thunderstorms.

Posted
No the site has gone,a great informative weather site that was too.

Edit:

Just found it by a different name.

http://www.trevorharley.com/trevorharley/weather_web_pages/weather_years_2010-19.htm

Edited by Snowyowl9