Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANYWEATHER

Best County In The UK?

Hi Folks, Just wondered what is youre favourite County here in the Uk.? You can be biased as I love the county I live in! :D Worcestershire ,is a wonderful county, watered by the mighty Severn, Teme and Avon which passes my house! We have the world famous Majestic Malverns and the Beautiful Cotswold Hills and the rolling and stunning Witley Hills. Some of the most ancient battles came from this county. In 1265 , one of the most prolific battles took place here in Evesham, with Simon De Monfort. which shaped the way democracy and Parliament are the way today. We have numerous stunning Towns and Villages in this county and the history of our county town of Beautiful Worcester is amazing! And a county which has so many Vales, you can climb the lofty heights of Worcestershire Beacon on the Malverns which is nearly 1,400 ft  as the world famous Composer, Sir Edward Elgar did and have an awesome view of Worcestershire along with deep views across the the stunning Black mountains in Wales ,up to the industrial heart of England , the Black Country and Birmingham and down to the Bristol Area and beyond to the Mendips in Somerset. :) I really love other counties as well. which I will post later :)

1. Yorkshire

2. Lancashire

3. East Sussex

4. Cheshire

5. Derbyshire

PS a BIT OF A NORTHERN BIAS.

c

Hi Folks, Just wondered what is youre favourite County here in the Uk.? You can be biased as I love the county I live in! :D Worcestershire ,is a wonderful county, watered by the mighty Severn, Teme and Avon which passes my house! We have the world famous Majestic Malverns and the Beautiful Cotswold Hills and the rolling and stunning Witley Hills. Some of the most ancient battles came from this county. In 1265 , one of the most prolific battles took place here in Evesham, with Simon De Monfort. which shaped the way democracy and Parliament are the way today. We have numerous stunning Towns and Villages in this county and the history of our county town of Beautiful Worcester is amazing! And a county which has so many Vales, you can climb the lofty heights of Worcestershire Beacon on the Malverns which is nearly 1,400 ft  and have an awesome view of Worcestershire along with deep views across the the stunning Black mountains in Wales ,up to the industrial heart of England , the Black Country and Birmingham and down to the Bristol Area and beyond to the Mendips in Somerset. :) I really love other counties as well. which I will post later :)

Anyweather, you sold the case well for Worcestershire. Of all my travels, I have never been to the county.

C

Anyweather, you sold the case well for Worcestershire. Of all my travels, I have never been to the county.

C

Come here mate, its a gourgous county,,, :)

1. Devon

2. Cumbria

3. Dorset

4. Cornwall

5. Cheshire

Dark Horse Cheshire makes the top 5 again. My home county.

C

Cumbria for natural scenery - no other county in England compares for the dramatic, rugged landscape, in my opinion.

It's a bit too isolated though, and the weather is dreadful - so I'll probably stick to visiting it occasionally.

I also quite like the landscape of Surrey and Kent - the North and South Downs look very pretty - gentile and soft - almost Mediterranean when the grass browns off in summer.

north-downs-way-by-microlight1.jpg

Come on.. those hills look like they should have vineyards on them.

Northumberland for me; fantastic beaches, beautiful villages, stunning high ground, castles on every headland and hardly any tourists to spoil it.

And for somewhere so far north, surprisingly decent weather although it can be bitter cold and snowy in winter.

All the counties in the western half of England and all of Wales have something going for them, whether it's hills, beaches, historic sites or even just nice towns.

Elsewhere, there's plenty of interest in the northeast (Durham, Northumberland, N Yorks) as well, and even the southeast has its nice bits (I never realised Surrey had so many hills until I went there properly for the first time, or Sussex had so many beaches).

The only bit I always find dull is that bit that's not really the Midlands, East Anglia or the southeast- places like Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire. No big cities, no coastline, no proper hills, no historic towns, to me it's just fields and motorways round there. I'm sure some native of that area can suggest something. Any castles? Roman ruins? Lakes? Theme parks even?

Very hard, especially as many counties can contain some pretty stunning locations whilst at the same time have some truly dire locations. Essex for example, the south is built up and boring, whilst parishes such as Uttlesford in the north of the region are beautiful with rolling hills and some lovely small towns such as Saffron Walden and Thaxted. I found this out mainly from living in Saffron Walden and Chelmsford.

Cumbria is a favourite from childhood, I like Yorkshire too but again being stuck in places such as Leeds would not be my cup of tea.

I live in Essex and I don't rate it at all,it's all spray tan and fakeness.My favourites are:

1: Derbyshire

2: Yorkshire

3: Cumbria

4: Somerset

5: Devon

Purely going off natural beauty:

1: Highland

2: Cumbria

3: Gwynedd

4: North Yorkshire

5: Cornwall

All the counties in the western half of England and all of Wales have something going for them, whether it's hills, beaches, historic sites or even just nice towns.

Elsewhere, there's plenty of interest in the northeast (Durham, Northumberland, N Yorks) as well, and even the southeast has its nice bits (I never realised Surrey had so many hills until I went there properly for the first time, or Sussex had so many beaches).

The only bit I always find dull is that bit that's not really the Midlands, East Anglia or the southeast- places like Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire. No big cities, no coastline, no proper hills, no historic towns, to me it's just fields and motorways round there. I'm sure some native of that area can suggest something. Any castles? Roman ruins? Lakes? Theme parks even?

Funny you mention the Surrey Hills. At its best it can resemble the foot hills of the Alps, especially with a short track easterly flow delivering very low temps and powder snow. In my time around Dorking when I was based at Gatwick I have even done some cross country ski-ing in those hills and very enjoyable whilst it lasted. Also some nice hidden pubs up there.

C

I live in Essex and I don't rate it at all,it's all spray tan and fakeness.My favourites are:

1: Derbyshire

2: Yorkshire

3: Cumbria

4: Somerset

5: Devon

Nice to see Yorkshire and Derbyshire in top 5 again.

C

Quite a bit in the area, site of a large roman settlement and smaller ones dotted around the area, thanks to good navigation by river, also some of the most important inland wetlands in the UK, which includes the Nene valley and are bigger than the fens. Lyvden New Bield, Lamport Hall, Oundle is rather historic, as is Kimbolton. Area is home to Santa Pod and Silverstone, Stevington Wind Mill.  I could go on, there is plenty in any area if your prepared to see it.

Just over a month ago we got to see the Vulcan Bomber flying the area and valley for nearly two hours as it made one of its last flights before retirement, thanks to the Sywell airfield being close to where I work.

check the top link in my sig :)

1.Cornwall

2.Devon

3. East Sussex

4.Somerset

5.Dorset.

:D

West definitely Coming out best it seems! And my list can only really agree and I have been across much of England and Wales.

1) Cornwall - exceptional beaches in places, great community feel. Truro is a fantastic small city too. If you include the Isles of Scilly with cornwall too then even better. The islands are outstanding to visit.

2) Devon - especially the north with the fantastic exmoor park and beaches around Woolacombe to Croyde.

3) Gwynedd - had many a camping trips here on the coastline. The sunset on the varied coastline is magical here.

4) Worcestershire - maybe biased because I pretty much live near it and spend much of my time here but it has great countryside. The Malvern Hills are special too. Plus the weather along with the W Mids/herefs/warks is often as warm and pleasant as the east of the country.

5) Powys - superb countryside and traditional, historical small villages and towns such as Crickhowell. The Brecon Beacons are great to explore too.

Difficult one, this.  Though I'm fairly well-traveled in England, there are many areas I'm not familiar with.  As a proud Norfolkman, though, I have to claim it as the best.  We may not have fells and mountains, but neither is it as flat as many would suggest.  We have a beautiful and varied coastline, quiet and distinctive countryside, pretty villages and county towns the equal of anywhere. 

Moving away from home, I enjoy Sussex (both East and West, for different reasons), the Derbyshire Peaks and the Cotswolds (away from the tourist traps and pretentious "farm shops" selling mediocre items at astronomical prices to people with more money than sense).

Difficult one, this.  Though I'm fairly well-traveled in England, there are many areas I'm not familiar with.  As a proud Norfolkman, though, I have to claim it as the best.  We may not have fells and mountains, but neither is it as flat as many would suggest.  We have a beautiful and varied coastline, quiet and distinctive countryside, pretty villages and county towns the equal of anywhere. 

Moving away from home, I enjoy Sussex (both East and West, for different reasons), the Derbyshire Peaks and the Cotswolds (away from the tourist traps and pretentious "farm shops" selling mediocre items at astronomical prices to people with more money than sense).

I like both parts of Sussex, particularly, East Sussex  high weald country, almost continent weather in summer and winter, but Yorkshire remains best for me. I too don't like the farm shops and expensive product prices. You can get champion pies and top qrade farm produce for half the price in Skipton Market with the fantastic Dales on your door step.

C

I'm adding norfolk to my list, spent many happy Holidays on the broads as a child with family and friends.  

• Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners - Blog by Jenny Bell WWW.NETWEATHER.TV In the first in a regular series of gardening articles, Jenny Bell gives her top tips for new gardeners who are maybe taking their first gardening steps during the lockdown.  

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Warm Sunny Days Before A More Unsettled & Cooler Easter Weekend

High pressure in charge next few days will bring warm sunshine for many, but from Good Friday and through the Easter Weekend it will turn cooler and more unsettled with showers. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather