Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

UEFA Champions League

S

Another poor night for the English teams, looking all the more possible that we lose that 4th CL spot.

Best league in the world? Right...

Saw the Arsenal game last night over here. It was sad to watch such a inept performance. I have watched most of the Premier League games this season on Tv and the football is not as good to watch as in the German top league. The games are fast and direct. Maybe other leagues have caught up and got better, but Wenger last night was below par with his thoughts on that one. Will take a lot to beat Bayern, but Arsenal at their best can do it .

C

Edited by carinthian

S

Saw the Arsenal game last night over here. It was sad to watch such a inept performance. I have watched most of the Premier League games this season on Tv and the football is not as good to watch as in the German top league. The games are fast and direct. Maybe other leagues have caught up and got better, but Wenger last night was below par with his thoughts on that one. Will take a lot to beat Bayern, but Arsenal at their best can do it .

C

I think somebody nailed on the head this morning on the radio..too many average players in the PL are on huge wages regardless if they play or not and are quite happy to take the money whether they are playing well or not or even if they are sat on the bench. In the Bundesliga players have base salary and then earn money on appearances and win bonuses, goal bonuses clean sheet bonus etc..so they are incentivised to play and put in a shift and keep their place in the team...they don't have players like Adebayour at Spurs who are happy to sit at home and pick up £100k a week..with all the money in the PL clubs have become lazy in the type of players they buy and the type of contracts they are on...now they are getting found out .

I think somebody nailed on the head this morning on the radio..too many average players in the PL are on huge wages regardless if they play or not and are quite happy to take the money whether they are playing well or not or even if they are sat on the bench. In the Bundesliga players have base salary and then earn money on appearances and win bonuses, goal bonuses clean sheet bonus etc..so they are incentivised to play and put in a shift and keep their place in the team...they don't have players like Adebayour at Spurs who are happy to sit at home and pick up £100k a week..with all the money in the PL clubs have become lazy in the type of players they buy and the type of contracts they are on...now they are getting found out .

Yep, that's my thinking. Crazy money. However, I think Wenger got it all wrong last night. See if the Manchester clubs can stop the rot tonight for the PL.  Also the BL cost for fans entrance is much less than over in England, that why many thousands travel to the away games right across Germany. Grounds are packed to the rim with both sets of supporters. Better atmosphere and I am sorry to say better football to watch with breath taking pace.

Yep, that's my thinking. Crazy money. However, I think Wenger got it all wrong last night. See if the Manchester clubs can stop the rot tonight for the PL.  Also the BL cost for fans entrance is much less than over in England, that why many thousands travel to the away games right across Germany. Grounds are packed to the rim with both sets of supporters. Better atmosphere and I am sorry to say better football to watch with breath taking pace.

yes I like the German model where the games are accessible to all and not like here just the few and the real fans are pushed out by the plastic prawn sandwich brigade. How I loathe watching games at Wembley on the tv and the seats on the halfway line are unoccupied for the first 10 mins and 10mins after half time and start to empty 10 mins before the end...I would love to go those games with my kids but cant afford to.

I'd still put the prem in first place in terms of entertaining football (look at the weekend just gone), but I think there is too much "best league in the world" talk. It may or may not be true, but it just sounds arrogant.

The Championship is without doubt the best/most entertaining second tier league in the world.

I think the Bundesliga just seems completely random, in terms of results. Apart from Bayern, you can never really pick a winner like you can a lot of the time in the premier league. Shalke can beat Wolfsburg 4-0 one week, yet lose to Augsburg 2-0 the next. There never seems to be consistency, or observable "form", from most of the teams.

If you want out of Europe vote Wenger - or is this the wrong thread ;-)

Arsenal simply committed football suicide in not playing their best 11 in a must win match. I think in general English teams may have their eye too firmly fixed on their next PL match than winning the game at hand.

And so the English teams continue where they left off last night! United 1-0 down already.

What a flick that was from Mata to Smalling from 1-0 down Man U lead 2-1

Meanwhile Man City losing in the champions league just for a change

Well Manchester has managed to salvage something from this week!

Pleased with that, bit of squeaky bum time at the end, but good result, and the way Smalling is playing, he will be our player of the year, another fantastic professional performance from him, he really has stepped up a gear

Also another good performance from Martial, not involved much, but when he was he showed why we paid what we did for him.

Good 3 points

Better night for English clubs, fair play to the Manchester clubs showing the character to come from behind to win although from the sounds of what i was listening on 5 live, United just scraped through and it could of easily ended in a draw. 

Shame City won, would of been nice if there confidence was dented even more with a defeat ahead of Saturday games but oh well. 

The return of the champions league tonight and tomorrow night for the English teams we have Arsenal v Bayern Munich and Dynamo Kiev v Chelsea tonight and CSKA v Man Utd and Man City v Sevilla  tomorrow night

Going to be rather cold for Man U tomorrow night kick off is 21:45 local time

Arsenal very unlucky not to be in-front only a wonder save from Manuel Neuer has kept this 0-0 at half time

Very well played Arsenal, im actually happy they won, we need these English teams to do well, even Man united

Very well played Arsenal, im actually happy they won, we need these English teams to do well, even Man united

Why do we? I couldn't care less to be honest!

Why do we? I couldn't care less to be honest!

Well I don't care about any team apart from my own :)

Arsenal were simply fantastic last night, there are many who would have sat down with their pizzas waiting (wanting) Arsenal to get stuffed.

What we learnt last night is you don't need the ball to win, and you can make midfield largely irrelevant.   

UEFA have open disciplinary proceedings against Man City after fans booed the Champions League anthem at last nights game

Edited by Summer Sun

1 goal in 6 games and its now 6 hours and counting since Man U last scored

Man City having a much better night 3-1 up against Sevilla

Edited by Summer Sun

1 goal in 6 games and its now 6 hours and counting since Man U last scored

Man City having a much better night 3-1 up against Sevilla

They've got us at the weekend, that run won't last.

Some significant dissent and frustration aimed at LVG from the sounds of it.

City and Real Madrid have qualified tonight for the next round