Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

UEFA Champions League

Didn't see the match as was working but what a horribly sickening injury to a young player. Looking at the video it looks like use of excessive force to me, straight red in my book.

Edited by CreweCold

Didn't see the match as was working but what a horribly sickening injury to a young player. Looking at the video it looks like use of excessive force to me.

You missed a good match, we were very attacking, and looked like United of old, despite the result I enjoyed the game, as we played really well

Why "scum city"? are you drunk again? Because there really is no need for this type of football hooligan language...........

lighten up mate :)

I watched the City game. City riding high on top of the premier league and Juventus struggling in Serie A could only lead to one result. Sure enough,another European football lesson by Juventus.

Absolutely gutted for Luke Shaw he has had an excellent start

To the season, I have looked at the tackle a dozen times or so

The reason there was no penalty or red card is it was ball first.

However you can not defend that tackle it was reckless.I hope

United appeal to the authorities to have the player at least

Banned for a period of time, but I feel the authorities will ask

The ref for his views, and unfortunately we have previous with this

Ref so I would not be hopefull.

Timewise with this injury I believe is 6-9 months depending on

Healing and mending times and rehabilitation.

C.S

Apologies to all Man U and Man City fans, for referring to them a 'scum'. (I had a Russian evening!) Horrible injury to Luke Shaw, that.

C.S

Yes that's exactly what it was....reckless. There is absolutely no need to put a player in a position where they're looking at least 6 months out in the first place. Yes he got the ball but had to literally go through the player to get it. Moreno, IMO, should be facing a few games out....which is a drop in the ocean in comparison to how many Shaw is going to miss!

Whether the was intent or not it was him that caused serious injury to the player through his use of excessive force and should face the consequences i.e suspension. He broke his own leg last year at the World Cup, flying into tackles like he did last night- fair enough if your own reckless behaviour results in injury to yourself but when it's other people being affected by your moronic ways it's not on.

Hard to believe this is the same competition that saw Nani sent of against Real Madrid for high foot trying to control a ball in the opposition half!

Edited by CreweCold

C.S

Indeed it is a bad injury, very similar to the one suffered by Aaron Ramsey, I think if Shaw can get back to full fitness by the World Cup he is doing well. (Probably not what Man Utd fans want to hear, but the most important thing is for  his long term career, rather than rush him back.)

Indeed it is a bad injury, very similar to the one suffered by Aaron Ramsey, I think if Shaw can get back to full fitness by the World Cup he is doing well. (Probably not what Man Utd fans want to hear, but the most important thing is for  his long term career, rather than rush him back.)

Yes very similar to the Ramsey injury,i really cannot see him back this season,on another issue what do the club actually pay him

in wages whilst injured,i ask this question because I came across a website were United fans were trying to get a fund appeal set

up for him,even on a reduced wage he would still be earning masses more than I earn in a week.

C.S

Apologies to all Man U and Man City fans, for referring to them a 'scum'. (I had a Russian evening!) Horrible injury to Luke Shaw, that.

Thanks for that Pete.

Best league in the world, don't you know.

Well, always said the PL is not the best in the world although it does have its entertainment side for sure. The strength of the PL is also overhyped these days, back in the noughties, you could say the PL had quite a bit of strength in depth in the noughties as even smaller clubs like Middlesbrough and Fulham done very well in Europe but teams like Southampton and West Ham would be in the group stages if they were good enough.

It will be very interesting too see regarding the co-efficents if Italian clubs have another good season compared to the PL teams, early days yet though. 

Yes very similar to the Ramsey injury,i really cannot see him back this season,on another issue what do the club actually pay him

in wages whilst injured,i ask this question because I came across a website were United fans were trying to get a fund appeal set

up for him,even on a reduced wage he would still be earning masses more than I earn in a week.

C.S

All injured players get paid in full during an injury (that is my understanding)

Occasionally injury prone players get a specific pay as you play contract to mitigate against these issues. 

Edited by J10

All injured players get paid in full during an injury (that is my understanding)

Occasionally injury prone players get a specific pay as you play contract to mitigate against these issues. 

Yes he'll be on full pay but given his dedicated attitude towards his career it'll be scant consolation.

Edited by J10

Well, always said the PL is not the best in the world although it does have its entertainment side for sure. The strength of the PL is also overhyped these days, back in the noughties, you could say the PL had quite a bit of strength in depth in the noughties as even smaller clubs like Middlesbrough and Fulham done very well in Europe but teams like Southampton and West Ham would be in the group stages if they were good enough.

It will be very interesting too see regarding the co-efficents if Italian clubs have another good season compared to the PL teams, early days yet though. 

It has been argued that the results so far this season and the monies paid by medium PL clubs to sign better players means there is a stronger strength in depth in the PL this year. (Time will tell)

Re the Europa League, certainly West Ham did not treat it seriously, as at no stage did they field anywhere near a full strength side, while Southampton did disappoint. Certainly other countries take it more seriously than some English clubs.

In terms of coefficients

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/ccoef2016.html (this year)

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2016.html

Yes he'll be on full pay but given his dedicated attitude towards his career it'll be scant consolation.

I totally agree.

Another poor night for the English teams, looking all the more possible that we lose that 4th CL spot.

Best league in the world? Right...

Another poor night for the English teams, looking all the more possible that we lose that 4th CL spot.

Best league in the world? Right...

Probably get away with it even if English teams have a poor season because I very much doubt Roma would get far in this competition and Juve is the only other side in the Champions League whereas at the moment, there is 4 English teams. 

Got to say, as much as I like Wenger, he made a complete howler with the keeping situation, if he is injured, don't even put him on the bench and then hardly anyone will say a dickie bird about you. Arsenal do frustrate me because with the style they play, they could and should be able to win the Champions League but this is typical Arsenal, especially defensively letting themselves down yet again. 

Lets see how the 2 Manchester clubs against german oppposition, German teams are not the strongest defensively so I got a feeling both will win but I think both matches are hard to call and I won't be surprised if both lose but won't be surprised if they both win. 

Probably get away with it even if English teams have a poor season because I very much doubt Roma would get far in this competition and Juve is the only other side in the Champions League whereas at the moment, there is 4 English teams. 

Got to say, as much as I like Wenger, he made a complete howler with the keeping situation, if he is injured, don't even put him on the bench and then hardly anyone will say a dickie bird about you. Arsenal do frustrate me because with the style they play, they could and should be able to win the Champions League but this is typical Arsenal, especially defensively letting themselves down yet again. 

Lets see how the 2 Manchester clubs against german oppposition, German teams are not the strongest defensively so I got a feeling both will win but I think both matches are hard to call and I won't be surprised if both lose but won't be surprised if they both win. 

Remember though that the co-efficients also take into account the Europa League teams too.

I hope, Nick, we lose it. Too much arrogance has crept into our league. We just assume it has the best teams / greatest strength in depth / 4th place trophy etc.

My brother is also a big Arsenal fan, so until a season or so back, I'd want them to do well. Wenger, however, has made me change my mind. Most people mellow with age, but his whining attitude has become worse. I'm also fed up with Arsenal doing zilch with their qualification and let's face it, their group was one of the easiest, even with the Behemoth... I hope Bayern absolutely kick their sorry backsides. Arsenal will likely get a result in one of those games though, but fail to progress and we'll hear more whining...

Edited by Steve C

I hope, Nick, we lose it. Too much arrogance has crept into our league. We just assume it has the best teams / greatest strength in depth / 4th place trophy etc.

My brother is also a big Arsenal fan, so until a season or so back, I'd want them to do well. Wenger, however, has made me change my mind. Most people mellow with age, but his whining attitude has become worse. I'm also fed up with Arsenal doing zilch with their qualification and let's face it, their group was one of the easiest, even with the Behemoth... I hope Bayern absolutely kick their sorry backsides. Arsenal will likely get a result in one of those games though, but fail to progress and we'll hear more whining...

Yep, I honestly think that losing a spot would do the league some good. 

Yep, I honestly think that losing a spot would do the league some good. 

It could do what it did to Serie A and make some of the bigger clubs decline but the league on the whole becomes a lot more competitive/unpredictable and the chance for more European places going to other clubs could increase. Of course, it could have little difference but it would at least be quite headline news if the PL did drop down to 4th in the rankings. 

I just don't like this attitude that the mid to lower half of teams are better than those in other leagues, there is no real proof of that and you can only go by the Europa League really and the results do seem rather mixed which suggests the level of the lower half premier league teams are no different to the lower half of La Liga clubs. Of course, in terms of the size/fan base of the clubs, then that is different compared to La Liga/Serie A/Ligue 1 sides with the PL clubs often having full stadiums whereas in other leagues apart from the Bundesliga, the stadiums are half empty at the smaller clubs. 

Also the reasons(or shall I say excuses) why PL clubs are performing poorly being spouted out does make me laugh, the PL is higher intensity, better quality, more games during xmas.... yet the PL was dominating in the Euro competitions in the mid to late 2000's even though it has the supposed high intensity and quality and it most definately had the xmas fixtures so for me, all just very poor excuses. The reasons could be, European teams are getting stronger/PL teams are not as strong as they once were and PL clubs are spending OTT amounts. I mean, at the end of the day, its men playing a game of football, just because you spend vast amounts of money, it does not mean it will guarantee success. 

Didn't get to see any Champions League today but Arsenal losing to Olympiacos  at home, WTF :rofl:

The evidence of the past few years seems to me, to be that almost all of the teams outside of the "big boys", in Spain, Germany & Italy particularly, seem to be much better than their English counterparts. Given the vastly superior resources that even relatively poor teams in the PL have, surely this shouldn't be the case. Unless of course, PL teams are spending fortunes on 2nd rate players because they prove they can run about a lot, but aren't technically much good. Apart from Real Madrid, Barcelona & Bayern Munich (maybe Juventus too), English teams should absolutely dominate based on resources alone. The fact they don't, means they're getting something very badly wrong.