Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office loses BBC contract

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
13 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Headline and hourly forecast not in sync

5a9d939b607ca_DXi-C9ZW4AABP6b.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.70933062324520636afaf735221a85bf.jpg

It has always done that type of thing - its useless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Headline and hourly forecast not in sync

5a9d939b607ca_DXi-C9ZW4AABP6b.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.70933062324520636afaf735221a85bf.jpg

That's brilliant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
11 hours ago, CreweCold said:

TBH I wish the BBC would take the Metoffice back...pronto.

I just wish they’d at least show their video/television forecasts in high resolution. What they currently show is so inaccurate. Big blobs of white and blue. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

The new graphics on the BBC are terrible if I didn't come on net weather I'd not have a clue what was happening.  Snow,fog and cloud all look the same. A massive backwards step in my opinion 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Fancy showing snow widely across northern England then having temps of 7c in the same places

5345345.thumb.png.e21c0a92577573cec5846de6d30d5e0a.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, seabreeze86 said:

The new graphics on the BBC are terrible if I didn't come on net weather I'd not have a clue what was happening.  Snow,fog and cloud all look the same. A massive backwards step in my opinion 

I thought they were just covering their weeble  by not distinguishing...........

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Fancy showing snow widely across northern England then having temps of 7c in the same places

5345345.thumb.png.e21c0a92577573cec5846de6d30d5e0a.png

What a shambles. Big blobs of blue and white. No high res detail. 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Well as they say 'pay peanuts you get monkeys', I feel sorry for the BBC weather forecsters as they must see the errors in there forecasts while presenting them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Is anyone else noticing that the Met and the Beeb forecasts are widely different?  As a trader who relies on accurate forecasting I don't know who I should be trusting.  My instinct is the met but I have to say Meteo called the cold spell more accurately for my area.  Has anyone done any analysis/comparisons?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
9 minutes ago, microclimate said:

Is anyone else noticing that the Met and the Beeb forecasts are widely different?  As a trader who relies on accurate forecasting I don't know who I should be trusting.  My instinct is the met but I have to say Meteo called the cold spell more accurately for my area.  Has anyone done any analysis/comparisons?

The Met all day, every day. A week before the beast and anyone who even takes a casual interest in model watching could see that the Beeb forecasts were miles off.

• Like 1

Posted

I wonder how much the temps of next weekend change in the coming day's ?

5aa63656d78fd_DYErgr-V4AAnskf.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.70fae954732c99e4a10b5b6ee05a2578.jpg

Here is the met office forecast for London to compare for next weekend the beeb are around 4c higher

22c6d697-acbc-4bd0-8935-a96cfe0df323.thumb.png.07c37c7f70e86fda3d0fb7b1928adcc1.png

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

I wonder how much the temps of next weekend change in the coming day's ?

5aa63656d78fd_DYErgr-V4AAnskf.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.70fae954732c99e4a10b5b6ee05a2578.jpg

Here is the met office forecast for London to compare for next weekend the beeb are around 4c higher

22c6d697-acbc-4bd0-8935-a96cfe0df323.thumb.png.07c37c7f70e86fda3d0fb7b1928adcc1.png

Wait what? I was watching Countryfile last night and they said they are expecting it to turn colder this weekend!

Posted

We are at the stage now where the twitter feed and website even have different temps!

8f39346e-c7a5-4dc3-97a0-0e59cd783169.thumb.png.ac71a985258d64b531eb1d80e57c9251.png

For London, the website has 9c and 7c for Sat and Sun which is closer to the met office yet on twitter they have put out double-digit temps!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

We are at the stage now where the twitter feed and website even have different temps!

8f39346e-c7a5-4dc3-97a0-0e59cd783169.thumb.png.ac71a985258d64b531eb1d80e57c9251.png

For London, the website has 9c and 7c for Sat and Sun which is closer to the met office yet on twitter they have put out double-digit temps!

To be fair I don't think that's exclusively a problem with the forecast provider, the forecaster putting that Tweet out should have checked before posting a completely contradictory graphic.

• Like 1

Posted

I sit just me or does it look like they've improved the resolution on the national forecasts in recent days? When they now zoom in to a region (on the rare occasion they do) it looks the same, i.e. doesn't switch from low to high resolution as it used to when zooming in. 

Maybe I'm just imagining it.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

One thing I noticed how terrible the graphics are when you're not using HD. They're bad enough with HD but you might as well turn the forecast of outside HD.

• Like 1

Posted

One thing I've wondered is can the new graphics even show fog?

The other day the forecast talked of mist and fog in the morning but the graphics didn't show anything!

Posted

We probably knew this already, but Chris Fawkes confirming the BBC don't have access to Mogreps anymore 

Posted
20 hours ago, reef said:

One thing I've wondered is can the new graphics even show fog?

The other day the forecast talked of mist and fog in the morning but the graphics didn't show anything!

They probably can but they just look the same as cloud and snow :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I don’t really understand why on the regional forecasts the outlook goes out so far now compared to just a few days like it used to. It’s hardly going to be that accurate nearly a week away. 

Posted

I'm convinced now that they've improved the resolution of the graphics when zoomed out on the national view, which is positive. They still need to improve the contrast between snow and cloud as it's still difficult to tell between the two at times.

Posted

Well a few ago days I posted just above this that the BBC had improved the resolution on the zoomed out view, which I still believe they had. 

However, yesterday and today I’ve noticed they’ve gone back to lower resolution when zoomed out and only higher resolution when they zoom in to a region. I think this might be due to it being snowfall, rather than rain which is easier to distinguish on the map (which is so small!)

Here is the difference from a forecast this morning. 

Zoomed out: 

EFE9ADDB-49F1-4AB5-B94F-4E6EDF6E1007.jpeg

Zoomed in: 

F637834B-47BD-438D-B384-D8033DB0CA72.jpeg

Quite poor again I have to say. After being encouraged they’d sorted the resolution issue out they’ve flipped back to this nonsense. I can only imagine it’s down to the fact that the contrast between snow and cloud on the new graphics is so poor they have to reduce the resolution on the national view.

Edited by danm

Posted
43 minutes ago, danm said:

Well a few ago days I posted just above this that the BBC had improved the resolution on the zoomed out view, which I still believe they had. 

However, yesterday and today I’ve noticed they’ve gone back to lower resolution when zoomed out and only higher resolution when they zoom in to a region. I think this might be due to it being snowfall, rather than rain which is easier to distinguish on the map (which is so small!)

Here is the difference from a forecast this morning. 

Zoomed out: 

EFE9ADDB-49F1-4AB5-B94F-4E6EDF6E1007.jpeg

Zoomed in: 

F637834B-47BD-438D-B384-D8033DB0CA72.jpeg

Quite poor again I have to say. After being encouraged they’d sorted the resolution issue out they’ve flipped back to this nonsense. I can only imagine it’s down to the fact that the contrast between snow and cloud on the new graphics is so poor they have to reduce the resolution on the national view.

Phil Avery on the national forecast the other night took the cloud off as he wanted to show where the snow would be even the forecasters can see the issue between cloud and snow surely that is something they need to fix before next winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Yesterday at 4pm they said Plymouth would be 8c.

Mount Batten at 4pm? 1.8c.

So wrong  it’s laughable.