IGNORED

Met Office loses BBC contract

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
6 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

And the met office for Sunday

749f3316-bd8d-4267-a7ba-1fd9247b54ee.thumb.png.0599aba89c3b89d9a9433bc441b9573f.png

Yes today 6C for us actual 3.1C met was 4C. Saying that the met office on beeb have been bad for minimum temps as soon as they started the heat island effect in cities.

Posted

So what happens if the Met office issue a weather warning for extreme cold/ice/heavy snow and meteo group/main BBC forecast says dry no snow 4C

Posted

Just saw the bbc forecast. 3C in London on Tuesday. Hmm really? 

One thing I just do not understand is why the forecasts put so much focus on the urban heat island effect. It is massively misleading. Let's say I live in Surrey or London suburbs- I would assume that it would be 3C on Tuesday and be hugely annoyed when my car doesn't show higher than -1C all day.

The urban heat island is like 20-30 square miles. Why so much focus on it? I just don't get it

Posted
19 hours ago, high ground birmingham said:

Just saw the bbc forecast. 3C in London on Tuesday. Hmm really? 

One thing I just do not understand is why the forecasts put so much focus on the urban heat island effect. It is massively misleading. Let's say I live in Surrey or London suburbs- I would assume that it would be 3C on Tuesday and be hugely annoyed when my car doesn't show higher than -1C all day.

The urban heat island is like 20-30 square miles. Why so much focus on it? I just don't get it

Don't take any notice of car temperatures as they are widely inaccurate. Never seen an accurate one yet. They are a rough guide and rough at that. Mine tends to read two degrees to high. So today it said was -1C  when was -3C. In summer it can be even further out despite a two mile drive.

Back on subject I'm beginning to think of Beeb forecast as a junk forecast nowadays.  

Posted

Oh the irony!!:rofl:

BBC website now leading with news of the 'cold snap' coming (more like spell). But.......

The article is plastered with quotes from Meto and references to Meto! You couldnt make it up!

Ditch the Meto for the forecasts, but v happy to quote Meto in articles on the weather. Bizarre.

• Like 1

Posted
20 hours ago, Rich_T said:

So what happens if the Met office issue a weather warning for extreme cold/ice/heavy snow and meteo group/main BBC forecast says dry no snow 4C

That's when it comes as a nonsense and it will happen when you have two sources of information. Too be honest with the Met office forecast  I've seen warnings for heavy rain locally yet the same local forecast below says sunshine all day. Happening last few days on the met office forecast for us. A warning for Tuesday yet local forecast shows just light snow. 

Posted

Today is 6c which maybe met as it rising very rapidly. 1c in half n hour.

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

BBC weather had a slight issue on the 13:15 BBC One broadcast... the graphics failed

35353.thumb.png.5fb92b5cf54b722e7a6910b84afe9e2e.png5757.thumb.png.d129f69a0a856cc5c909039b70780279.png

It was more than that, BBC News was doing a live report from Beijing when Tomasz suddenly came on! oops! Never went back to the news and we got no weather report.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

It was more than that, BBC News was doing a live report from Beijing when Tomasz suddenly came on! oops! Never went back to the news and we got no weather report.

Ahh just caught up online was skipping back to the weather and heard  Tomasz repeatedly saying hello before he went off camera and the fault screen appeared

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Graphics on the BBC website are absolutely atrocious at the moment. There are frequent snow showers all over eastern Britain at the moment and this is what it shows for 3pm today:

image.thumb.png.3c5e24dbe19babc657610abe03c83691.png

Just areas of cloud wafting about, no snow at all.

What about Tuesday?

image.thumb.png.0a76a4b2f996b7ba4b96509814b2989b.png

Snow showers showing on Tuesday, so it might be a technical glitch for today. Either way it's pretty bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The resolution is simply too poor for showers, you cannot use raw EC data for picking out showers. It can provide a general area but you really need to use hi-res models like UKV, which is what the Met Office used.

Posted
On 25/02/2018 at 13:25, Weather-history said:

That's happened before - the only problem last time was that Tomasz was sticking his middle finger up! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
On 2/22/2018 at 20:42, ScalarWave said:

Re Meteogoups "forecasts" to the Beeb .... I have sent in an online complaint to the BBC.

I cannot see a meteorological justification in their online forecast not talking of snow for the whole of next week. To miss any mention of it and just talk of cold is bizarre. The models have been all showing sig snowfall for days ... and why would they not given the extreme low thicknesses forecast to advect west over the N Sea.

Oh, and I went online to view the video forecast there after viewing the forecast at the end of the BBC 6pm News bulletin.

I may have missed it, but I didn't hear mention of snow there.

"Why did they bin off the Met Office"

one word.

Money.

I thought it was "politics" 

Posted

I wonder where the local SW forecasts use for the temperature shown on the outlook summary, the Sicily Isles? 

A couple days ago they had Thursday being +4C , yesterday it showed +3C, and is down to +2C now.

On the Met Office it's forecast to stay below freezing here all day, and not get above -3C until 5pm! Even Penzance is forecast to be freezing during the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

The met office rainfall radar has been spectacularly rubbish this week and probably unable to load or blank screen more than it has worked. 

Posted

"Graphics on the BBC website are absolutely atrocious at the moment. There are frequent snow showers all over eastern Britain at the moment and this is what it shows for 3pm today:"

I would urge people to send in a complaint to the Beeb online if they see incongruities such as this.

I have.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
27 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The met office rainfall radar has been spectacularly rubbish this week and probably unable to load or blank screen more than it has worked. 

Maps outage

Due to unprecedented levels of demand on our website we have temporarily replaced some of the less visited pages and unfortunately are currently unable to provide our usual weather and observation maps. You can find an up to date forecast for your area on our forecast pages and also on our app they

Edited by matty40s