Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office loses BBC contract

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
7 minutes ago, danm said:

To be fair, it’s fine out to 5 days. 

It's not even fine at 'now'

It had gotten 3 rain days completely wrong, and temperature forecasts were off by 6 degrees. The data is the worst I have ever seen on any Android weather app, and I have used dozens! I deleted it in the end, it's a complete waste of phone memory & data, now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

It feels like the BBC forecasts are purely model based now and have absolutely no human input whatsoever. Their forecasts quite literally change based on what the ECM is showing, which given it's topsy turviness at the moment hasn't resulted in very consistent week ahead forecasts..

If I was head of the Met Office I would be so smug right now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
27 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

It feels like the BBC forecasts are purely model based now and have absolutely no human input whatsoever. Their forecasts quite literally change based on what the ECM is showing, which given it's topsy turviness at the moment hasn't resulted in very consistent week ahead forecasts..

It was exactly the same with the old app. It used raw UKMO data with no human input. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
On 15/02/2018 at 23:31, danm said:

It was exactly the same with the old app. It used raw UKMO data with no human input. 

Ah I was talking specifically about the TV forecasts - I know the apps have always been that way

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
On 15/02/2018 at 23:02, Daniel Smith said:

Indeed...One might be forgiven for thinking that weather forecasting is also engaged in a 'race to the bottom'?:cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
On 15/02/2018 at 23:02, Daniel Smith said:

I'm glad you posted this - I was thinking the same thing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
15 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

They should have stuck with the Met Office instead of penny pinching .

I think it’s outrageous that the national broadcaster turned its back on the UKMO.

PS the new graphics are dire and the BBC weather team must feel like their polishing a txrd trying to big them up as innovative !

Agreed. Trying to polish a huge stinky tμrd with a tiny tissue. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
23 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

They should have stuck with the Met Office instead of penny pinching .

I think it’s outrageous that the national broadcaster turned its back on the UKMO.

PS the new graphics are dire and the BBC weather team must feel like their polishing a txrd trying to big them up as innovative !

Completely disagree with your second point. The Met Office should not be beyond reproach, they're not invincible.

I don't think people realise just how many public services receive forecasts from private providers, if the Met Office are not up to scratch then they should face the same consequences as any other company would. Just because they happen to be a nationalised forecasting agency should mean nothing.

However, I agree, the new graphics are poor.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Completely disagree with your second point. The Met Office should not be beyond reproach, they're not invincible.

Indeed they are not, but are they as reliable as UK Met? 

Cheaper? I have little doubt. But better? I do have many a doubt...

Another facet of cheapskate Tory Britain?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed they are not, but are they as reliable as UK Met? 

Cheaper? I have little doubt. But better? I do have many a doubt...

That's a completely separate debate entirely though, Pete.

I was just contesting the opinion that just because the Met Office are our national forecaster, the BBC should stick with them come what may. If the BBC deemed them to be sub-standard and not providing value for money, damn right the Met Office should be dumped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

In the end, I think time will tell whether this was a good decision or not. That said, so far I am not a fan of the forecasts but that could change with further tweaking. Lets see how things are a few months down the line.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

In the end, I think time will tell whether this was a good decision or not. That said, so far I am not a fan of the forecasts but that could change with further tweaking. Lets see how things are a few months down the line.

I'm not a fan either so far, but early days, and hopefully they will listen to feedback. However, based on the BBC reaction of "we're right, you're wrong" when they were presented with the criticism then I don't hold out much hope.

Posted

One thing's for certain: they ain't basing their forecasts on the NAVGEM! :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme in Winter , Cricket Weather in Summer , Golf weather all year

The website now feels kind of dumbed down somehow , almost as though this was a decision based purely on finance. 

Posted

This is an answer to a comment in the moan thread about BBC forecasts

Not sure I understand what you are saying there, sorry

Forecasts come from Meteogroup, how much if any human intervention before it gets to the BBC forecaster I do not know.

The warnings are issued to the BBC by Met O Exeter.

Which is why I suggest two sources using different data sources. A recipe at some stage for a 'cock-up', excuse the word!

Anyway it is best to carry on this in the media area I think?

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

This is an answer to a comment in the moan thread about BBC forecasts

Not sure I understand what you are saying there, sorry

Forecasts come from Meteogroup, how much if any human intervention before it gets to the BBC forecaster I do not know.

The warnings are issued to the BBC by Met O Exeter.

Which is why I suggest two sources using different data sources. A recipe at some stage for a 'cock-up', excuse the word!

Anyway it is best to carry on this in the media area I think?

John I guess what I'm saying is that the meteoGroup do appear to use MetOffice data (from the link supplied) but that the difference between what the BBC ( meteogroup) are saying and what the Met are saying is down to human intervention.

As you say the warnings are from the Met office but there is a process around their issue that needs to be followed ( due to the implications in civil contingency).

Posted

We were discussing this in the South West thread earlier in the week, John.

On 20/02/2018 at 11:41, jtay said:

What a time for the Beeb to have ditched the Met Office for their TV forecasts...

While they're still using them for Weather Warnings, which will no doubt be scattered like confetti next week; we could be in the situation where the warning areas don't match the model output that we're seeing on the screen.

Surely it's difficult enough with one data source, albeit the best in the world. Next week's forecasting could be a right old mess.

Posted

Latest online BBC weather forecast MeteoGroup should have their contract terminated for sheer inaccuracy and incompetence. 

6A08D63E-F677-4A17-9C22-E16A8DE45678.thumb.jpeg.9a1259f950b9952588ee8abc7da243e9.jpeg

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

Yes i've noticed the Meteogroup beeb forecasts seem to be quoting incorrect temps. Today was down for 6/7c here but it is 2c at the mo. Sunday's (this Sunday coming) temps were forecast on last night's forecast to be 6/7c here - Really?! If Sunday gets above 3/4c i'll be surprised.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Latest online BBC weather forecast MeteoGroup should have their contract terminated for sheer inaccuracy and incompetence. 

6A08D63E-F677-4A17-9C22-E16A8DE45678.thumb.jpeg.9a1259f950b9952588ee8abc7da243e9.jpeg

And the met office for Sunday

749f3316-bd8d-4267-a7ba-1fd9247b54ee.thumb.png.0599aba89c3b89d9a9433bc441b9573f.png

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

To be quite honest Daniel if I was taking elderly relatives out or indeed my husband who is not in the best of health and relying on that forecast I would be less than pleased.  Why did they bin off the Met Office.  I thought they were the official forecasting group for the UK.  Although forecasting can be a hit and miss affair at least the Meto gives you opportunity to alter your plans if necessary. 

Edited by Sidsnake
  • Like 1

Posted

Re Meteogoups "forecasts" to the Beeb .... I have sent in an online complaint to the BBC.

I cannot see a meteorological justification in their online forecast not talking of snow for the whole of next week. To miss any mention of it and just talk of cold is bizarre. The models have been all showing sig snowfall for days ... and why would they not given the extreme low thicknesses forecast to advect west over the N Sea.

Oh, and I went online to view the video forecast there after viewing the forecast at the end of the BBC 6pm News bulletin.

I may have missed it, but I didn't hear mention of snow there.

"Why did they bin off the Met Office"

one word.

Money.

Edited by ScalarWave
Spelling
  • Like 3

Posted

Bbc show temps in London higher tues than on mon ,highs of 3 c according to them tues,and 2c mon in London,still no mention of snow on their online forecasted updated about 6 pm!