Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office loses BBC contract

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
13 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Holy crap, did anyone just see the BBC weather update...just a red screen, with a woman talking over it......90 10 price over quality here!!

I did, they've broken the weather already. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Holy crap, did anyone just see the BBC weather update...just a red screen, with a woman talking over it......90 10 price over quality here!!

I saw it aswell, thought I had gone back to the 1970s. Don't forget to put your warm coat on :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

I did too, thought april fools had come early.

WTF lol

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

21:30 broadcast was fine online

Definitely wasn't on the telly a picture of a map of the uk with the up next on the other side and the BBC One logo, with a continuity announcer doing the weather. Absolutely weird. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I know I may be banging on about this, but a good example below of the difference in higher resolution graphics on the BBC when zoomed in compared to the low resolution graphics when zoomed out to the national view:

image.thumb.png.b49fb57d227d1863566fadff6d6c1f8d.png

image.thumb.png.fbc14c3a6d80a9e711a781b16a6153dc.png

They would need to zoom in on a regional scale on every broadcast to give a truly accurate view on the weather, but they don't. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

How can the BBC head of weather claim that having an hourly forecast out to 14 days is an improvement?:cc_confused:  She's evidently an executive who wouldn't recognise a cold front if it introduced itself to her.:nonono:

Posted
13 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

How can the BBC head of weather claim that having an hourly forecast out to 14 days is an improvement?:cc_confused:  She's evidently an executive who wouldn't recognise a cold front if it introduced itself to her.:nonono:

Yep she's clearly someone with no meteorological training, went through a tick box procurement exercise and thinks hourly forecasts out to 14 days is an improvement!

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, danm said:

Yep she's clearly someone with no meteorological training, went through a tick box procurement exercise and thinks hourly forecasts out to 14 days is an improvement!

Thing is, I have no formal meteorologial training either, but I've learned enough over the years of being a member here that deterministic model output at t+336 is unreliable even if you take it as a general guide to the types of synoptics that might occur, let alone an hourly forecast!

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
Correcting typo.

Posted
35 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Thing is, I have no formal meteorologial training either, but I've learned enough over the years of being a member here that deterministic model output at t+336 is unreliable even if you take it as a general guide to the types of synoptics that might occur, let alone an hourly forecast!

Agree. Most of us on here aren't meteorologically trained but have a deep interest in the weather and a decent enough general understanding. She seemed to genuinely think 14 day hourly forecasts is a good thing. Baffling. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
6 hours ago, danm said:

I know I may be banging on about this, but a good example below of the difference in higher resolution graphics on the BBC when zoomed in compared to the low resolution graphics when zoomed out to the national view:

image.thumb.png.b49fb57d227d1863566fadff6d6c1f8d.png

image.thumb.png.fbc14c3a6d80a9e711a781b16a6153dc.png

They would need to zoom in on a regional scale on every broadcast to give a truly accurate view on the weather, but they don't. 

The problem is they're using two completely different models on the national and regional view. EC for the national, UKV for the regional. I just don't understand why. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

The problem is they're using two completely different models on the national and regional view. EC for the national, UKV for the regional. I just don't understand why. 

It is a strange one. All I can think of is the way they’re showing the map when zoomed out - it’s flat, thinner. Becuase it’s so zoomed out and the UK is smaller on our screens compared to the old graphics, they probably aren’t able to show it in high resolution unless they zoom in to a regional view. 

The question then is why they have configured the map in the current view. Is it just becuase they didn’t want any tilt and not p**s off those in Scotland again? 

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Prefer the old graphics , I don’t mind change and all that but it seems less focused imo . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 08/02/2018 at 16:51, Nick L said:

After a bit more digging, it seems that MG are using EC data, which is 3 hourly and 9km resolution, and interpolating between each frame. Met Office used hourly and 1.5km res UKV.

That really is shoddy. Nothing more to say than that. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Head of weather? Executive you say? Where can I apply for this job? 

?

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

?

Management, maybe.  Whatever, she appears to understand rather less than we'd expect.

Posted

Thought she came across as per most BBC staff when questioned by Newswatch of "okay we heard your feedback but we think we're right" without really proper acknowledging the viewer feedback.

The national view of the graphics are woeful to say the least and I'm afraid it's a massive backward step sadly.

Also for me, the brown map was perfect to show the contrast between sun and cloud, we don't need a green map at all! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
21 hours ago, CreweCold said:

?

By head of weather they mean you need to have your head in the clouds!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 hours ago, Geordiesnow said:

Thought she came across as per most BBC staff when questioned by Newswatch of "okay we heard your feedback but we think we're right" without really proper acknowledging the viewer feedback.

The national view of the graphics are woeful to say the least and I'm afraid it's a massive backward step sadly.

Also for me, the brown map was perfect to show the contrast between sun and cloud, we don't need a green map at all! 

Yep, I know the brown map wasn't exactly nice-looking, but it was chosen for the reason that it made it easy to distinguish cloud and clear skies. It may not have looked nice, but it worked.

• Like 2

Posted

Very odd to see the bbc show a chart for the back end of next week which looks like the 00z ec op. Mentioned  plentty of caveats about it not necessarily playing out like that but the fact they showed the chart was very odd. Pretty sure that under met office control this wouldn’t have happened. It seems that the message is flipping each evening but the ens mean is fairly consistent ????

Posted
10 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

He is only stating what we all have on here. I have told all the peeps at work to ditch the bbc weather app 

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

He is only stating what we all have on here. I have told all the peeps at work to ditch the bbc weather app 

To be fair, it’s fine out to 5 days. It’s just that they show 14 days at hourly intervals. Maybe just tell them to ignore it past about a week!

Posted
5 minutes ago, danm said:

To be fair, it’s fine out to 5 days. It’s just that they show 14 days at hourly intervals. Maybe just tell them to ignore it past about a week!

That’s not human nature though is it!  Ignorance induces inquisitiveness