Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office loses BBC contract

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Agree that it looks better in regional forecasts. The national map projection needs changing IMO, we don't need to be able to see Sweden...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I watched a forecast from a few days ago on YouTube with the old graphics and it really makes you realise how unclear the new graphics are wrt snow and cloudy/sunny weather. 

Posted

I like the re-introduction of the old BBC weather symbols on the "week ahead" outlook on the regional forecast.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Agree that it looks better in regional forecasts. The national map projection needs changing IMO, we don't need to be able to see Sweden...

Unless your Swedish of course. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Like anything it takes time getting used to but a question i have is the new bbc app now has a 14 day outlook but say after 5/6 days do they just put the average temp for time of year down as i am down for 8 or 9 degrees from 13th Feb which seems far too high compared to what the models are showing?

Posted
12 hours ago, Hotspur61 said:

Like anything it takes time getting used to but a question i have is the new bbc app now has a 14 day outlook but say after 5/6 days do they just put the average temp for time of year down as i am down for 8 or 9 degrees from 13th Feb which seems far too high compared to what the models are showing?

Don't ever expect those 14 days to be ever accurate. Even under Met, they weren't accurate until they came up within 4/5 days.

Posted
14 hours ago, Aiden2012 said:

Absolutely hate the new BBC weather app will never use again 

Ha ha, that's a bit strong! I don't actually think it's an awful lot different to the old app (not least on an iPhone anyway).

Posted
13 hours ago, shotski said:

Unless your Swedish of course. 

They can pay the bloody licence fee too then :D

• Like 1

Posted

I can only echo what others here think about the new graphics. What needs to change:

- Zoom in to the UK at bit, as Nick says above, do we really need to see 1000 miles of Atlantic and Sweden?
- The place names cover large areas of the country and need to either go or be more transparent.
- Its too hard to distinguish cloud / sunshine / rain / snow. A better contrast is needed.

Another one is the temperature colour maps, which are a big loss, as are the coloured numbers (now just white with a dash of colour underneath). Just subtle things that make it easier to watch.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

I went back to using the BBC weather app after a horrendous app update from the Met Office last year, but now the new BBC app is even worse than that.

Have to agree with everyone's thoughts on the BBC video graphics too, much like the Met Office video forecasts on their website its very hard to distinguish snow, cloud, rain and what exactly the weathers going to do over one location.

A very poor 12 months for app/video/webpage updates in my opinion.

Edited by vizzy2004
  • Like 1

Posted

Undoubtedly a step back in time. I don’t go with this, oh in time you’ll like it. I don’t like it fullstop. 

My main issue is the scale, why can see we see a lot of Europe when the weather is only forecast for UK it’s a waste of space. The location ‘tags’ are massive and Belfast obscured Cumbria for instance not good. 

• Like 1

Posted

Does anyone else also think the new video graphics overdo the snow? 

For example, the latest video forecast on the website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0 shows an area of snow moving down from NW England to SE England on Friday morning. However, if you look at the website it shows light rain all morning for London tomorrow. Not even sleet. 

Video forecast: 

image.thumb.png.a7991207500df94e8d0410659b5dc328.png

And what does the forecast show? Light rain all morning!

image.thumb.png.1d9def59697308811eebffb5bd5c93a1.png

So what can we expect tomorrow morning? Rain, sleet, snow? A mixture of the three? Yes, Helen Willetts says a wintry mix, but what if you were just looking at the graphics?

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Don’t know about anyone else but to me ITV’s graphics are easier on the eye than these new ones. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
49 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Undoubtedly a step back in time. I don’t go with this, oh in time you’ll like it. I don’t like it fullstop. 

My main issue is the scale, why can see we see a lot of Europe when the weather is only forecast for UK it’s a waste of space. The location ‘tags’ are massive and Belfast obscured Cumbria for instance not good. 

I suspect the scaling was to make Scotland look bigger.

16 minutes ago, danm said:

Does anyone else also think the new video graphics overdo the snow? 

For example, the latest video forecast on the website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0 shows an area of snow moving down from NW England to SE England on Friday morning. However, if you look at the website it shows light rain all morning for London tomorrow. Not even sleet. 

Video forecast: 

image.thumb.png.a7991207500df94e8d0410659b5dc328.png

And what does the forecast show? Light rain all morning!

image.thumb.png.1d9def59697308811eebffb5bd5c93a1.png

So what can we expect tomorrow morning? Rain, sleet, snow? A mixture of the three? Yes, Helen Willetts says a wintry mix, but what if you were just looking at the graphics?

That snapshot from the video forecast is pretty shocking. From that it looks as though they're expecting a solid band of snow barrelling through London and the home counties, that's most certainly not going to be the case! Interestingly though, that's almost exactly the shape that the 3 hour precip charts on the EC has up to 12:00, so it gives an idea of where the data is coming from.

Edited by Nick L

6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I suspect the scaling was to make Scotland look bigger.

That snapshot from the video forecast is pretty shocking. From that it looks as though they're expecting a solid band of snow barrelling through London and the home counties, that's most certainly not going to be the case! Interestingly though, that's almost exactly the shape that the 3 hour precip charts on the EC has up to 12:00, so it gives an idea of where the data is coming from.

If you listen to the forecast she clearly states (regarding the white patch) - "This is a mixture of rain sleet & snow, and we are not concerned about it".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I have absolutely no problem at all with the new scaling; the problem I had with the old graphics, was that it seemed as if the UK was being viewed from about 50 miles' above 'somewhere along the M4' - making Scotland appear at almost half its actual size, relative to England...Wasn't the Earth's curvature the en vogue excuse, at the time?:D

Posted
2 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

If you listen to the forecast she clearly states (regarding the white patch) - "This is a mixture of rain sleet & snow, and we are not concerned about it".

Not great that it has to be explained to be honest. A wintry mix on the old graphics was pretty obvious.

Of more concern is the fact the TV forecast and the website forecast are completely at odds with each other.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Not great that it has to be explained to be honest. A wintry mix on the old graphics was pretty obvious.

Of more concern is the fact the TV forecast and the website forecast are completely at odds with each other.

This has always been the case & I have never ever understood it. Unless it's just the website forecast uses direct data from one of the models with zero human input, and the TV forecasts are assessed and controlled by humans & models. 

Either way, it's pretty embarrassing to have the website say one thing and the TV say another, very confusing for the consumers. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

Whilst that's true, it's pretty bad that the actual graphics are so misleading. 

To add to the confusion, here are the graphics from the BBC website (not the video forecast):

image.thumb.png.894799b13d75ff0fa2a0a6af0fbb3175.png

That's more clearly a "wintry mix". So why is that so different to the video forecast? Unfortunately the graphics on the video forecasts look to be in pretty low resolution.

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Astral Goat Juice said:

This has always been the case & I have never ever understood it. Unless it's just the website forecast uses direct data from one of the models with zero human input, and the TV forecasts are assessed and controlled by humans & models. 

Either way, it's pretty embarrassing to have the website say one thing and the TV say another, very confusing for the consumers. 

True. I never used the BBC online forecasts in the first place so never really had much experience before the change.

In terms of the graphics though, this kind of situation would have been illustrated well on the old graphics without the need for an explanation.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, danm said:

Whilst that's true, it's pretty bad that the actual graphics are so misleading. 

To add to the confusion, here are the graphics from the BBC website (not the video forecast):

image.thumb.png.894799b13d75ff0fa2a0a6af0fbb3175.png

That's more clearly a "wintry mix". So why is that so different to the video forecast? Unfortunately the video forecasts look to be in pretty low resolution.

That's better, more like the old graphics. Still not easy to distinguish cloud from clear skies though.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

In terms of the graphics though, this kind of situation would have been illustrated well on the old graphics without the need for an explanation.

Agree. I think the old BBC video graphics out to about 36/48 hrs were much clearer. Surely has something to do with the resolution. 

Posted

After a bit more digging, it seems that MG are using EC data, which is 3 hourly and 9km resolution, and interpolating between each frame. Met Office used hourly and 1.5km res UKV.

• Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Nick L said:

After a bit more digging, it seems that MG are using EC data, which is 3 hourly and 9km resolution, and interpolating between each frame. Met Office used hourly and 1.5km res UKV.

So basically its not a graphical issue, it just looks worse because it is worse. Less data and less resolution, a backwards step unfortunately.