Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office loses BBC contract

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Does anyone know what data Meteo group use for their forecasts ? Assume it’s mostly ECM. Do they have their own model. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, shotski said:

Does anyone know what data Meteo group use for their forecasts ? Assume it’s mostly ECM. Do they have their own model. 

It'll be primarily the likes of EC and UKMO models.

Although the daft 14 day forecasts I suspect are raw GFS data seeing as it's the only normal model that goes out that far!

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Although the daft 14 day forecasts I suspect are raw GFS data seeing as it's the only normal model that goes out that far!

Interesting !! would they have access to mogreps & Glosea 5 for example. If so I would find that strange. 

Edited by shotski

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

What get me is that anyone who's spent time in the MOD thread knows that the GFS is rarely the most accurate of the Big Three at 6 or 7 days.  Expecting it to be even slightly accurate at t+336 is utterly unrealistic.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

19 minutes ago, shotski said:

17 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I'm not sold either, like others it's quite difficult to tell the difference between cloud/sunny/snow. They do just remind me of the channel 4 or ITV graphics which aren't really the best either. 

I think the 14 day forecasts on the app/website are a bad idea too. It's just going to give a bigger impression that the "forecasters can't get it right" when the general public look further ahead. Very few people are going to know it's based on raw data and not human input. 

I'm sure I'll get used to the new graphics, but the old ones were definitely clearer and more detailed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Quite like the new look. Scotland looks as it should too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The tv graphics are ok except for the fact that it’s not great at distinguishing between sunny and cloudy weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I tuned in to see it. I like it a lot! They also mentioned some extra special graphics that will get used from time to time. However, I very rarely watch a TV forecast these days.

Posted

Great start for the new site you'd think they would have moved away from flash player

89aa434c-cb9e-46a6-b5a4-497522c53152.thumb.png.a2fe1f175ccbfa5b91a30ae6fc7dcac9.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

I really like the new graphics, looks far slicker and crisper imo. I think they will tweak it a bit and it will only get better.

Its like anything it takes a while to get used to a bit like when Apple update IOS it is horrid for the first few weeks but after that it becomes the normality and you soon forget about the update!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Most of us don't like change and to be fair if youre not a BBC weather tv nut you would not notice the change ....Different Graphics = Same old weather:rofl:

i2OHZE9.gif

Posted
27 minutes ago, Bobafet said:

I really like the new graphics, looks far slicker and crisper imo. I think they will tweak it a bit and it will only get better.

Its like anything it takes a while to get used to a bit like when Apple update IOS it is horrid for the first few weeks but after that it becomes the normality and you soon forget about the update!

It looks like they have deliberately coagulated all the showers into big blobs, and its only when you zoom on the regional do you get any clarity. Its hard to tell whether its rain or cloud, or cloud and sun. Everything is opaque and less well defined. Of course, its all to everyone opinions but this needs tweaking and desperately. Those boxes for the names of the cities need to go too..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I do like the new graphics, however just watched the world weather on the News channel and when they were over Europe what appeared to be patchy snow just looked like cloud or fog. This is one area they have to improve, along with sunny and cloudy weather. 

Posted

I think one thing to remember that when the old graphics launched in 2005 then they were awful but over the years, the graphics have been tweeked and I found them more than reasonable and they were very well detailed also.

No doubt in the coming months we will see some changes in the graphics, as some pointed out the place names in those boxes should go and hopefully we might see a much lighter green colour to show sunshine which might give a clearer contrast to any cloud cover graphic. As I said earlier, it be interesing what the graphics will show for convective cumulus cloud.

Hopefully these new graphics can show hail also as that is something the old graphics have never shown. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nick L said:

It also needs to be zoomed in, we don't need to see Sweden! Like you say Gavin, hopefully they'll take feedback on board.

Pros
a)   Personally I think the new graphics are better than the old ones which were starting to look dated.
b)   On the regional forecast, the sizing is much better and this works.
c)   The New BBC weather website is much better than before, with the maps.

Cons
a)   The Sizing on the new National map is all wrong and I don't think it is big enough for what they are trying to show.

b)   The place names really get in the way, particularly given the sizing issues above.
c)   The BBC weather website could not have been as bad as it previously was, so an improvement was inevitable.

IMO, an improvement with a lot of potential, but major tweaks are needed.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

New graphics it's  hard to see the rain in the cloud and same for snow. No idea how they will show fog. The issue of knowing when it will rain the poor graphics makes it difficult to tell when rain will arrive. On tv that is.

• Thanks 1

Posted

I feel similar to many others on here about this.

The 14 day website forecast, well that's ridiculous as has been covered by others.

However I think the observations (radar) page is ok.
I do like that you can zoom out and see the whole world though lol (although the key for rainfall is wrong at higher intensities).

The the place names are a bit too big IMO (and also too sparse until you zoom right in, e.g. Birmingham doesn't exist..), and the temp get displaced from their actual location. Also, It's not clear that you have to go full screen to zoom in/out and access some options.

On the TV maps, Birmingham does exist but obscures central Wales. My location is just about covered by the 'Plymouth' label, which also obscures the Isle of Weight, and a considerable area south of me, so it's pretty annoying if the weather's coming from that direction.

On the key, it looks like it will be pretty hard for some to tell the difference between snow, cloud and fog.

Also, Scotland is shown better than before but it looks like it uses the Mercator projection, so Scotland is skewed bigger and the south smaller, relative to each other. In reality Devon etc is not far off the width of the far north of Scotland (Sutherland etc), but on the BBC's map it looks a lot smaller (At least what you can see of it between 'Cardiff' and 'Plymouth').

_99894319_ukmap.jpg

Finally, on TV forecasts why do they use the less detailed (global model?) charts for the national view even on the current day? I guess at least it would reduce the threat of some taking the exact placing and timing of every shower too literally..

I think part of the issue is it feels too zoomed out, though that could be a difficult one because otherwise Shetland and the Channel Islands might complain. It was the same on the SW regional forecast with it all squashed up on the top half of the screen to include the Channel Islands (but they then show them separately so that's not really needed).

Despite this, it could grow on me with some tweaking to reduce these issues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

And another one here who couldn't tell the difference between cloud/snow/sun very well. Tweakage needed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
15 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Great start for the new site you'd think they would have moved away from flash player

89aa434c-cb9e-46a6-b5a4-497522c53152.thumb.png.a2fe1f175ccbfa5b91a30ae6fc7dcac9.png

I still have flash installed on Chrome. I just click the link and it'll ask if you want to enable it for the particular video. It's still safe, it just means you can choose when you want to use it.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Noticed on Weather For The Week last night that they didn’t go beyond into the 10 day trend as they usually do.

Matt did a summary at the end

Into next week

Largely staying cold
Some milder/wetter spells
Windy at times

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/42969487

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

How does this tie into BBC forecasters that are employed by the Met Office? Will some forecasters no longer be presenting forecasts?