Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office loses BBC contract

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
7 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

After a cursory read it looks poor to me. 14 day forecasts, total rubbish. Well done UK Met if they did refuse to go beyond 7 days. I wonder how many of the current team will be there to provide the service?

Not sure if it's related, but I saw a new face on BBC South Today. A Geordie lass, who actually mentioned the term "cold front" - I suspect she will receive her marching orders for using such a technical term.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Not sure if it's related, but I saw a new face on BBC South Today. A Geordie lass, who actually mentioned the term "cold front" - I suspect she will receive her marching orders for using such a technical term.

We used to have an Englishwoman on BBC Scotland (before the days of Heather Reid) who used to call fronts 'chappies'! Aaaarrrggghh!:help:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

We used to have an Englishwoman on BBC Scotland (before the days of Heather Reid) who used to call fronts 'chappies'! Aaaarrrggghh!:help:

Sounds like something Dan Corbett would come out with!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
16 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Jennifer Bartram?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

So, for London today the BBC Weather app (presumably still using Met Office data) shows it raining between 1pm and 2pm - which looks correct seeing as there is a band of rain moving south eastwards at the moment. 

However, the BBC desktop site from my laptop (using Meteo Group data) shows it cloudy but dry between 1 and 2pm with only a 10% chance of rain. Not good really is it?

Posted

New iOS update for the BBC Weather app on the iPhone has changed it over to MeteoGroup now with a slightly new look and feel, plus 14 day hourly forecasts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
16 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Jennifer Bartram?

Big fan of our Jen, top lass!

PS. Not a fan of the new BBC weather webpage.

Edited by vizzy2004
  • Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, danm said:

New iOS update for the BBC Weather app on the iPhone has changed it over to MeteoGroup now with a slightly new look and feel, plus 14 day hourly forecasts

Ludicrous for hourly 14 day forecasts, even 3-4 days is often not correct. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Completely agree. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
57 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

To be fair, you cannot blame the BBC or Meteogroup for showing forecasts up to 14 days ahead because pretty much every single iOS and Android weather app does exactly the same, and has done for a long time.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

To be fair, you cannot blame the BBC or Meteogroup for showing forecasts up to 14 days ahead because pretty much every single iOS and Android weather app does exactly the same, and has done for a long time.

I have no inside knowledge but I would suspect that this insistence by the BBC on hourly 14 day forecasts made it impossible for the Met O to agree with this. Quite rightly if it is the case. I stick by my strongly worded comment-ludicrous; no matter how many apps etc. A genuine forecaster knows it is utterly impossible to achieve any sensible accuracy that far out. Already even outputs from UK Met for each town, postal code is often rather different from the regional forecast, for much the same reason, accuracy to postal codes is still not good enough beyond day 2-3 in my view.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
9 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I have no inside knowledge but I would suspect that this insistence by the BBC on hourly 14 day forecasts made it impossible for the Met O to agree with this. Quite rightly if it is the case. I stick by my strongly worded comment-ludicrous; no matter how many apps etc. A genuine forecaster knows it is utterly impossible to achieve any sensible accuracy that far out. Already even outputs from UK Met for each town, postal code is often rather different from the regional forecast, for much the same reason, accuracy to postal codes is still not good enough beyond day 2-3 in my view.

I completely agree, John. Meteogroup's own weather app (weatherpro) goes out to 14 days, so I guess they're just following suit?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 hours ago, danm said:

Completely agree. 

Me too!!! Unbelievable on every level!

Posted
3 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Completely agree John. If the Met Office refused to do it then fair play to them. 

5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Completely agree John. If the Met Office refused to do it then fair play to them. 

they used to have 10 days, but days 5-10 were only for night and day, whihc I agree some far more resonable than hourly 14 days hence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 15:09, johnholmes said:

Their day 1 hourly forecasts were useless during that slushfest in January, if i'd believed them I would have been digging out, in reality, there were a few dustings and half inch fall which melted quickly. So in a nutshell - you're completely bang on.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

Meteogroup use Ecm, ukmo, gfs, hirlam & wrf plus some of their own input based on their experts knowledge etc. That being the case why hasn't the potent cold / snow potential translated on to the BBC forecast yet? It's been spotted on here for 3 days now almost

Screenshot_20180202-001921.thumb.png.7cddc17fc5379390a793af391feaf9fb.png

Posted
1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

The Android update appeared on my phone this morning. I don't think I'll be taking much notice of the hourly forecasts beyond 2-3 days ahead.

The problem is though that Joe Public will and think it's a realistic thing to believe in. Really poor.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
On 02/02/2018 at 00:32, ghoneym said:

Meteogroup use Ecm, ukmo, gfs, hirlam & wrf plus some of their own input based on their experts knowledge etc. That being the case why hasn't the potent cold / snow potential translated on to the BBC forecast yet? It's been spotted on here for 3 days now almost

Screenshot_20180202-001921.thumb.png.7cddc17fc5379390a793af391feaf9fb.png

Well the only model that goes out to day 14 is gfs so I will be advising anyone I know to change from the bbc app to the met office one