Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office loses BBC contract

Posted

Changeover happening earlier than planned I believe it was set for late March 2018 while it may take a while to completely changeover it won’t happen overnight. With televised forecasts..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

My honest opinion of the changes;

Forecast Viewing (Symbols & Wind etc): There is a nice fluidity to the viewing approach, the transmission from day to day is clean & crisp. I am however, not a fan of not having all hours view-able at once. It is a pain moving the bar left & right, more so for the hourly slots than the days. The symbols are also too in your face & large (probably why there is a move-able bar). The addition of precipitation chance is welcomed, but unnecessary to give such exact numbers (prefer Met Office's more basic approach to this). Though I do not hate this new setup, it is step back from what it was. The purpose must be to be able to view the forecast in as little hassle as possible, more complicated detail should be left to the host of the data. 

14 Day Forecast: Not only is this just a bad idea, having hourly forecasts all the way out is just completely unnecessary. So a BIG FAT NO FOR THIS ADDITION!!!!

Graphic Viewing: New map style and precipitation detail is tremendous (Akin to what Met office use in there video forecasts). The complexity of viewing certain parameters is just a hassle, just provide a clickable link like before to change viewing from local to UK! Also a nice addition would be surface syn-optics viewed through a clickable link. 

Video Forecasts: WHATS HAPPENED?!? (Only explanation perhaps could be that they are waiting until new graphics are shown on TV). 

Overall conclusion: A lot of unecessary changes.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, MattTarrant said:

My honest opinion of the changes;

Forecast Viewing (Symbols & Wind etc): There is a nice fluidity to the viewing approach, the transmission from day to day is clean & crisp. I am however, not a fan of not having all hours view-able at once. It is a pain moving the bar left & right, more so for the hourly slots than the days. The symbols are also too in your face & large (probably why there is a move-able bar). The addition of precipitation chance is welcomed, but unnecessary to give such exact numbers (prefer Met Office's more basic approach to this). Though I do not hate this new setup, it is step back from what it was. The purpose must be to be able to view the forecast in as little hassle as possible, more complicated detail should be left to the host of the data. 

14 Day Forecast: Not only is this just a bad idea, having hourly forecasts all the way out is just completely unnecessary. So a BIG FAT NO FOR THIS ADDITION!!!!

Graphic Viewing: New map style and precipitation detail is tremendous (Akin to what Met office use in there video forecasts). The complexity of viewing certain parameters is just a hassle, just provide a clickable link like before to change viewing from local to UK! Also a nice addition would be surface syn-optics viewed through a clickable link. 

Video Forecasts: WHATS HAPPENED?!? (Only explanation perhaps could be that they are waiting until new graphics are shown on TV). 

Overall conclusion: A lot of unecessary changes.  

Video forecasts will continue to be uploaded onto the old website for now http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Video forecasts will continue to be uploaded onto the old website for now http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

How are they going to integrate the video forecast into the new site though? Its already quite cluttered.  

Edited by MattTarrant

Posted
1 minute ago, MattTarrant said:

How are they going to integrate the video forecast into the new site though? Its already quite cluttered.  

Plenty of room on the locals pages they could easily fit a video between Observations and settings

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Plenty of room on the locals pages they could easily fit a video between Observations and settings

Potentially, just slightly disappointed in changes in general. The more I use the graphics the more I like them, just wish they were at the same scale as before. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Wow that 14 day forecast is a really daft idea. Apparently, I have a 12% chance of rain at 14:00 on 7th February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Changeover happening earlier than planned I believe it was set for late March 2018 while it may take a while to completely changeover it won’t happen overnight. With televised forecasts..

I think it is about 2 years late

Posted
9 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

I think it is about 2 years late

Lol that is true they’ve taken their time. But ahead of late March 2018 signposted not long ago.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Wow that 14 day forecast is a really daft idea. Apparently, I have a 12% chance of rain at 14:00 on 7th February.

There should only be hourly forecasts up to day 7 at most beyond that and it’s totally stupid. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

LOL 14 day forecasts :rofl: I can only presume these will be automated and raw data model based. The average person is probably going to see day 14 show -6 and a raging blizzard at 12 o'clock then 14C and sunny by 6pm.

The BBC will be begging for the Metoffice back within a few months.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

LOL 14 day forecasts :rofl:

The BBC will be begging for the Metoffice back within a few months.

It doesn’t do much for your credibility it’s like weather off a budget wx site which goes out to a month in advance. Sadly there was a time a while ago now, when I bothered looking what the months weather was. :p 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

It doesn’t do much for your credibility it’s like weather off a budget wx site which goes out to a month in advance. Sadly there was a time a while ago now, when I bothered looking what the months weather was. :p 

Yep a massive misstep by the BBC IMO.

Posted

There are instances on those 14 day forecasts where a sunny symbol has a higher % rain chance than a rainy symbol. Okay...

Posted
15 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Wasn't one of the reasons the MetO lost the contract because they were unable (or unwilling?) to produce an App to meet with the BBC's requirments.  Makes me wonder whether this was it?   The BBC wanted a 14 day hourly "not-a-forecast" (to compete with some of those "budget" wx sites?) and the MetO said 7 days was the most they were willing to do?

Just a thought.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
6 hours ago, Essan said:

Wasn't one of the reasons the MetO lost the contract because they were unable (or unwilling?) to produce an App to meet with the BBC's requirments.  Makes me wonder whether this was it?   The BBC wanted a 14 day hourly "not-a-forecast" (to compete with some of those "budget" wx sites?) and the MetO said 7 days was the most they were willing to do?

Just a thought.

Could have easily got as spotty kid to write them one.

Posted

Not sure how the headline for tomorrow can state "light rain and breezy" then show it dry during daylight hours with sunny spells and only a low chance of rain

27173646_2119406338076125_1652736992157990899_o.thumb.jpg.b67d04399dc8a77314bd49c23684ac08.jpg

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Not sure how the headline for tomorrow can state "light rain and breezy" then show it dry during daylight hours with sunny spells and only a low chance of rain

27173646_2119406338076125_1652736992157990899_o.thumb.jpg.b67d04399dc8a77314bd49c23684ac08.jpg

I think this may have needed some more testing before going public :D

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, J10 said:

image.thumb.png.4d52ad77d33e78280061ac05e540fb6e.png

image.thumb.png.02b7f45fff58b7755e58be2ae5705ee8.png

So now a choice of forecasts on the BBC website.

Does this mean we can just choose which weather we prefer? I like it. 

• Like 2

Posted

After a cursory read it looks poor to me. 14 day forecasts, total rubbish. Well done UK Met if they did refuse to go beyond 7 days. I wonder how many of the current team will be there to provide the service?

• Like 1