Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office loses BBC contract

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
On 30/03/2017 at 15:23, mb018538 said:

Shame to see John Hammond gone as others have said, very skilled at his job! Never fluffs his lines, explains things well, and doesn't add unnecessary waffle like Tomasz Schaernaker likes to do. There are still a few of the old guard left too.

As an aside, I'm not overly keen on the broadcasters we have on Look East, I much preferred Paul Hudson for the weather forecasts when I lived in Yorkshire! Alex Dolan splutters too much and Chris Bell has the weirdest accent you can imagine. Dan Holley isn't too bad, and Julie Reinger is ok as well.....but nothing compared to the national forecasters.

'ere, leave my namesake out of this LOL!  He's from Texas, hence his 'alternative' accent.  I do agree with you regarding Alex - as she is apparently a former teacher I'd have expected her to be more seamless in speaking.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

How is this going to affect the accuracy of BBC weather forecasts do we think? I've always associated the BBC with having the most accurate forecasts on tv, presumably due to their tight integration with the Met Office. 

Posted
On 7/23/2017 at 16:41, Summer Sun said:

A tweet from the beeb today says the changeover will take place later this year

That Tweet by Peter Cross though :wallbash:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I wonder what the delay is.

Beeb is generally fairly accurate although the very early morning forecasts tend to use old data and when Carol K starts they tend to start catching up although I have since the 06:15 forecast and 06:45 forecast being wrong and clearly not using the later information. Like heavy rain in Wales when the radar shows that it's totally dry and the expected system is late. The other one was when the Met office got the northerly extent of a storm wrong and just south coast and south east were being battered with it being fairly calm elsewhere. Carol stood there saying ti's windy and gusts up to 50 or 60 mph with leaves hardly moving outside. 

The forecast before six is clearly using information from earlier in the night and tends to be fairly inaccurate.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
14 hours ago, The PIT said:

I wonder what the delay is.

Beeb is generally fairly accurate although the very early morning forecasts tend to use old data and when Carol K starts they tend to start catching up although I have since the 06:15 forecast and 06:45 forecast being wrong and clearly not using the later information. Like heavy rain in Wales when the radar shows that it's totally dry and the expected system is late. The other one was when the Met office got the northerly extent of a storm wrong and just south coast and south east were being battered with it being fairly calm elsewhere. Carol stood there saying ti's windy and gusts up to 50 or 60 mph with leaves hardly moving outside. 

The forecast before six is clearly using information from earlier in the night and tends to be fairly inaccurate.   

I hear that the changeover is imminent.

And that example is why we need proper meteorologists doing the forecasts. Real forecasters who know about the weather would realise when data is wrong, presenters like Carol may not necessarily know. Sadly, more thought is given to the presenting skills rather than the knowledge of on screen forecasters.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Lucy Martin was on the national forecasts this morning

Seen her on the regionals before but never the national forecasts

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

We've just the delight of having John Hammond do BBC Spotlight weather. Unusual as we normally get Craig F from BBC West.

Still one of the greats in my eyes. Good to see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Good job nobodies holding their breath they all be dead by now.

Must be huge problems in the back ground causing delays probably computer related more likely or not.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Tweet from Met Office a couple of days ago saying their contract with the BBC runs to 30th Sept, and Meteogroup take over after that. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

We've just lost Holly Green from BBC Spotlight... seems to be a lot of chopping and changing going on?

Is Holly going to London I wonder?

Posted
17 minutes ago, philglossop said:

We've just lost Holly Green from BBC Spotlight... seems to be a lot of chopping and changing going on?

Holly did Points West yesterday daytime.

Posted
52 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Holly did Points West yesterday daytime.

Yup and Spotlight but that was the last one. On Spotlight FB page she got leaving presents with Andy Breare. All very sad 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
On 16/09/2017 at 12:57, philglossop said:

Just seen a few tweets from a few days ago suggesting she’s going to ITV Meridian.  

Posted
26 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Contract ends tonight but the met office will continue to provide the data until Meteogroup takeover

That's very kind of them.

I'd have been tempted to leave the Beeb in the lurch and show what happens when the private contractor lets you down. :p

Edit: I might have a bee in my bonnet about this, and have an amazing love of the UK Met Office.

Edited by crimsone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, crimsone said:

That's very kind of them.

I'd have been tempted to leave the Beeb in the lurch and show what happens when the private contractor lets you down. :p

Edit: I might have a bee in my bonnet about this, and have an amazing love of the UK Met Office.

Nothing wrong with private forecasting companies :whistling::D

The Met Office do a lot of great things, but many things need improvement on the public facing side of things. It infuriates me that, despite the Met Office being funded by the taxpayer, they hold onto so much data. The National Weather Service and NOAA in the US put them to shame.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Nothing wrong with private forecasting companies :whistling::D

The Met Office do a lot of great things, but many things need improvement on the public facing side of things. It infuriates me that, despite the Met Office being funded by the taxpayer, they hold onto so much data. The National Weather Service and NOAA in the US put them to shame.

All true. I just have a soft spot for the met office. The world feels topsy turvy to me without them. :D:)