Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere Autumn/Winter 2015/16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

The snow's made another decent push west and Russia's about 90% filled in!  Scandi is also getting in on the act with Finland fairing well.  At this rate we should see snow in about three weeks time!!!!

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

3 Weeks is a huge shout!

Might be a bit longer than that. Looks great this year though, that ice has grown at a very quick rate.

Posted

At a brief glance the closest year on the dataset to this in terms of rate of growth was 2012-13 (though I'm sure somebody will be able to do something clever with graphics to prove me wrong on this! It's simply an observation from the graph provided)

There's certainly worse years to have as a match but obviously we need more information about what happened south of 60N as per Cohen et al. and as last year proved even the SAI is far from infallible. It certainly fits with the idea of anything colder coming later in the winter though.

SK

• Like 3

Posted

Seems to have been a setback with the snow over western Russia today. Never mind, plenty of time ay? :-)

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_gif/DATA/cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Ice looks great this year!

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Lets hope BFTV doesn't spot your post  :whistling:

• Like 1

Posted

Serious lack of snow in Scandinavia..

Yeah, I've got Kiruna on my Iphone weather app thing, and I've noticed how mild it's been for at least the last month; in November it should be around -7C by day and -13C at night, it's currently still above freezing by day and only getting to -3C or so overnight - considerably warmer than even the October averages.

Edited by March Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

At a brief glance the closest year on the dataset to this in terms of rate of growth was 2012-13 (though I'm sure somebody will be able to do something clever with graphics to prove me wrong on this! It's simply an observation from the graph provided)

There's certainly worse years to have as a match but obviously we need more information about what happened south of 60N as per Cohen et al. and as last year proved even the SAI is far from infallible. It certainly fits with the idea of anything colder coming later in the winter though.

SK

I was going to say 2009-10 looked the closest matching dataset and if so, well we all know the score with early part of that Winter. Gut feeling, nothing scientific but based on few hints here and there is that we could see a similar set up. If a much colder spell is also due later in Winter then between those two impending scenarios offered up, it could well be a long ole for those hoping for something mild and wet.  :D

Snow snow snow

2009/10 a close correlation there, is there not?

Serious lack of snow in Scandinavia..

In early November, matters not I'd say.  :good:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Solid ice growth continues

The ice is looking good, but the effect of the unseasonably warm weather over Europe is clear to see,  There has not been much change in the snow extent for quite a few days now.

FC

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Solid ice growth continues

Look at that pesky gulf stream

If you have any spare tap water chuck it into the North Atlantic

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 3

Posted

Snow snow snow

2014/15 had a very high rate. I know we didn't get the SSW, but did we at least get a strong siberian high during that winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Looks like a little ice bridge is trying to form between Greenland and Iceland as well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

Looks like a little ice bridge is trying to form between Greenland and Iceland as well.

Was it 2 years ago we saw the bridge almost reach Iceland. It would be interesting to see it actually form the whole way across.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

Not sure if the locals would like it though, having something the size of your average family car come walking past your window might be of some concern.

Spent a week in Akureyri, very friendly people and great scenery.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Was it 2 years ago we saw the bridge almost reach Iceland. It would be interesting to see it actually form the whole way across.

Every Autumn/Winter we get people thinking an ice bridge is on the verge of forming!

It's normal for the ice to follow the east Greenland current down past the north of Iceland as we go through Autumn, happens every year, and every year, people post about an ice bridge forming. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened in decades. Even if the yellow on the chart did reach Iceland, it only represents 15% concentration of ice or more, which means it would probably just be a few bits of ice floating near the Iceland coast, not something remotely resembling a bridge!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Lovely gains in Norway, and always good to see those little white pixels on the UK.

If we look at this time a year ago -

ims2014319_asiaeurope.gif

To now

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

It really is day and night in terms of the ice coverage and the show while not as widespread south it certainly much less patchy.