Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weather-history

The Few....

Wonderful to see, thank you for posting W-H.

Brings a tear to my eye.

About 13 were due to fly over my E. Yorks village a few days ago and

I waited excitedly, poised with camera, but they didn't come 'due to low cloud'.

Hugely disappointing. 

They did put on a great show round Humberside airport and the Humber Bridge

though I understand.

BL.  :)

A wonderful sight! 

Whilst it's completely fitting that the bravery of the men and women of the Battle of Britain, to whom we all owe so much, be remembered perhaps a few thoughts on the 28th June wouldn't have gone amiss either.

That was the day in 2012 that Britain finally condescended to unveil a memorial to the 55,573 aircrew from Britain, Canada, Czechoslovakia, Poland and other countries of the Commonwealth who lost their lives flying for Bomber Command.

Despite describing bombers as "the means of victory" in 1940, Churchill did not mention Bomber Command in his speech at the end of the war.

Here here Malc, R.I.P to all the fallen.

it was fantastic today to see waves of spitfires and a few hurricanes fly just a few hundred feet over my cottage as they did 75yrs ago today.

looking towards tatsfield everything looks the same now as it did then, my cottage still has the camaflague marks on the brickwork. its what being British is all about, and we must not forget those Canadian and Polish pilots who flew with us.

we sometimes hear those merling engines and when we look there is no plane to be seen?

it was fantastic today to see waves of spitfires and a few hurricanes fly just a few hundred feet over my cottage as they did 75yrs ago today.

looking towards tatsfield everything looks the same now as it did then, my cottage still has the camaflague marks on the brickwork. its what being British is all about, and we must not forget those Canadian and Polish pilots who flew with us.

we sometimes hear those merling engines and when we look there is no plane to be seen?

I love the sound of those engines :)

I love the sound of those engines :)

i will put the short video we have up tomorrow, of course the 1943 models and onwards had the improved engines which took the spit well over the 400 mph mark. 

Super pictures in the Daily Mail online of 18 Spitfires and 6 Hurricane planes for the 75th Commemoration

fly past.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3202341/Remembering-Britain-s-hardest-day-Spitfires-Hurricanes-skies-75-years-battle-scuppered-plans-Nazi-invasion.html

post-3933-0-23349400-1439968135_thumb.jp

Gosh I envy those that saw/heard all this !

BL  :)

Ahhh, happier days when Polish immigrants were welcome.

Dont forget those radar operators who got them to the right place at the right time.