Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knocker

Diabetes Epidemic/Obesity Epidemic: Are they connected to fast food?

Apparently there has been a huge rise in diabetes in the last few years which is going to put an even greater strain on the NHS. If this was an infectious disease we would be on a war footing by now. I have a passing interest in this as I have been summoned for a chat with my GP this morning to discuss a recent blood test.

Diabetes could 'bankrupt the NHS' after 60% rise in cases in a decade, charity warns

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/diabetes-could-bankrupt-the-nhs-after-60-rise-in-number-of-cases-charity-warns-10458353.html

I often wonder about this Knocker.   I think that the Government, along with the huge increase in fast food outlets may have cause to take some of the blame.  

If people are unable to afford to eat a healthy diet and let's face it many can't, then this I think contributes to the development of the condition for some.  (not all)

The secret of controlling diabetes is eating healthily, little and often.   How on earth can people on low incomes afford to do that, as we know healthy food can be very expensive?  Some people can only afford to eat a semi decent meal once a day.

I myself was diagnosed with type 2 some years ago now and was given medication.   My condition  (genetic) was borderline and I was advised to follow a certain diet.   I now no longer need to take the medication as my diabetes is diet controlled.

People on low incomes will find eating healthily very hard to do I should think.

I don't think it's necessarily always down to low income alone, though it's hardly irrelevant, either...With everyone having to work long hours to make ends meet, who has the time to source all the right kind of foodstuffs, let alone the time to prepare them?

I often wonder about this Knocker.   I think that the Government, along with the huge increase in fast food outlets may have cause to take some of the blame.  

If people are unable to afford to eat a healthy diet and let's face it many can't, then this I think contributes to the development of the condition for some.  (not all)

The secret of controlling diabetes is eating healthily, little and often.   How on earth can people on low incomes afford to do that, as we know healthy food can be very expensive?  Some people can only afford to eat a semi decent meal once a day.

I myself was diagnosed with type 2 some years ago now and was given medication.   My condition  (genetic) was borderline and I was advised to follow a certain diet.   I now no longer need to take the medication as my diabetes is diet controlled.

People on low incomes will find eating healthily very hard to do I should think.

Yes I agree. I discussed this with my GP this morning and she was quite adamant that it is due to the modern lifestyle of bad nutrition and in particular too much sugar. The latter often being hidden in quick meals. She said she had doctored in various parts of the world and some parts, such as the Solomon Islands, were a diabetes free zone simply because their diet consisted solely of natural foods. She then proceeded to knock ice cream off of my diet and I was forced to point out that at this rate I'll rapidly lose the will to live.

That'll be the obesity epidemic.

It never ceases to amaze me that we continue to normalise obesity and do everything to avoid having to make people take responsibility for their weight, yet if it was someone severly underweight, it would be attended to straight away.

Being very underweight is unhealthy, being very overweight is unhealthy. Why is one OK and the other not?

Until we tackle this issue from an early age e.g food education and parental food education this will only get worse.

Apparently there has been a huge rise in diabetes in the last few years which is going to put an even greater strain on the NHS. If this was an infectious disease we would be on a war footing by now. I have a passing interest in this as I have been summoned for a chat with my GP this morning to discuss a recent blood test.

Diabetes could 'bankrupt the NHS' after 60% rise in cases in a decade, charity warns

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/diabetes-could-bankrupt-the-nhs-after-60-rise-in-number-of-cases-charity-warns-10458353.html

None of those are an excuse. You can eat healthily very cheaply and prepare a meal in no time if you know how. The problem is many don't know how.

I don't think it's necessarily always down to low income alone, though it's hardly irrelevant, either...With everyone having to work long hours to make ends meet, who has the time to source all the right kind of foodstuffs, let alone the time to prepare them?

None of those are an excuse. You can eat healthily very cheaply and prepare a meal in no time if you know how. The problem is many don't know how.

I can buy a dinner for 6 from the butchers and grocers for under a fiver if buying cheap cuts, but even a roasting joint plus veg = under a tenner. Plus the meat is better than supermarket meat a lot of the time. Supermarket chops are very thin, and their beef is too fresh and has no flavour. 

That'll be the obesity epidemic.

It never ceases to amaze me that we continue to normalise obesity and do everything to avoid having to make people take responsibility for their weight, yet if it was someone severly underweight, it would be attended to straight away.

Being very underweight is unhealthy, being very overweight is unhealthy. Why is one OK and the other not?

Until we tackle this issue from an early age e.g food education and parental food education this will only get worse.

Obesity is the symptom not the cause.

Obesity is the symptom not the cause.

Of diabetes?

I still feel that one has to ask why there is an obesity epidemic Lauren?   Fast food outlets on every corner MUST contribute.  Obviously they are easy, quick and fit in well with today's lifestyles.

It is a proven fact  that fast foods are high in fats, salts and sugars.  This problem only recently has been highlighted and thankfully food producing companies are being forced to address it.

I agree with your statement that lack of know how is a contributing factor to eating healthily though.  Perhaps a good way to address this problem is to approach food and nutrition within the school system.   In my day this was compulsory but apparently today not so much?

Of diabetes?

Yes it can effect you two ways, make you uncontrollably fat or too skinny. Don't really know why it takes people differently, I guess just the way people are wired biologically. Weight gain or loss is normally one of the first symptoms along with feeling tired, in fact for some the only symptom that anything is wrong, like in so many other things. That's why when you go to the doctors bloods are the first thing asked for, doctors are looking for markers to point them in the right direction. 

I still feel that one has to ask why there is an obesity epidemic Lauren?   Fast food outlets on every corner MUST contribute.  Obviously they are easy, quick and fit in well with today's lifestyles.

It is a proven fact  that fast foods are high in fats, salts and sugars.  This problem only recently has been highlighted and thankfully food producing companies are being forced to address it.

I agree with your statement that lack of know how is a contributing factor to eating healthily though.  Perhaps a good way to address this problem is to approach food and nutrition within the school system.   In my day this was compulsory but apparently today not so much?

I agree. Start it at an early stage in schools. Looking after yourself nutritiknally as got to be one of the most basic skills and yet too many people don't know how to do it.

Fast food joints are perhaps partly responsible, but it's not like people don't have a choice. No one is forcing you to eat it.

I get that it can be a symptom, but it is also the No. 1 cause.

Yes it can effect you two ways, make you uncontrollably fat or too skinny. Don't really know why it takes people differently, I guess just the way people are wired biologically. Weight gain or loss is normally one of the first symptoms along with feeling tired, in fact for some the only symptom that anything is wrong, like in so many other things. That's why when you go to the doctors bloods are the first thing asked for, doctors are looking for markers to point them in the right direction.

I agree. Start it at an early stage in schools. Looking after yourself nutritiknally as got to be one of the most basic skills and yet too many people don't know how to do it.

Fast food joints are perhaps partly responsible, but it's not like people don't have a choice. No one is forcing you to eat it.

I get that it can be a symptom, but it is also the No. 1 cause.

They do but it has caused me nothing but problems, none of mine will eat chips which is fine cause I hate the things lol. My youngest was alway a difficult eater but came home from school one day and wouldn't eat anything except fruit, he is so thin, it's unbelieveable. He's getting better now but still is very limited, the problem was compounded by a kid bullying him about his dad being fat, and using the words if you eat to much you'll be fat too. This happened in the school nursary class he just took the fruit is healthy stuff too far. 

There are things the others won't eat due to lessons in school about good nutrition too, surprisingly if I was to ask them what they wanted to eat on their birthday for a treat they would still ask for Mc D though. Even the youngest. There's got to be something in the food to make it attractive to eat I think. Some sort of background addictive chemical or something. 

Sorry Ed didn't see your post till after.

Sugar, fat and salt are very tasty and that in itself is addictive. Our bodies are designed to seek these foods out because back in the day they would have been essential for survival. Now this isn't a problem, but the biology remains. It really is as simple as that.

Ooops, sorry Ed! Back to topic!

So as not to clog up the UK Politics thread, I would llike to continue what I thought was an interesting discussion. 

Perhaps if a Mod would be so kind as to transfer relevant posts from that thread?

In my opinion, I think a considerable percentage of  the huge increase in  these two complaints is possibly connected to the development of the fast food industry.  

I've copied them across but unfortunately your opening post is now at the bottom, never mind, it'll do :D

Thanks Nick! :)

people are inherently lazy..al this guff about not knowing how or its too expensive is rubbish..its because people basically can not be bothered..why spend time trawling round the shops then cooking things and doing dishes when you can buy it all ready made..its all right blaming fast food joints and governments but we should be pointing the finger at ourselves.

I'm overweight and accept all responsibility for that! I would love to lose a few stone but I just need to find the will power.

I'm quite on the thin side I'd like to gain weight but it's very hard with a super fast metabolism. I have been frequently parched I heard this a symptom of diabetes? I do drink plenty of fluid though. My diet is relatively healthy but I admit it could be better. Sweet treats, fish supper, odd kebab are my downfall.

There is also a metabolism myth.

Having a fast or slow metabolism is in fact incredibly rare. Most people fall within the normal range for age and health. In fact the more overweight you are, the faster your metabolism tends to be (within the normal range) as it tries to burn off the extra weight. Unless you've been diagnosed with a metabolism disorder (they are normally quite obvious), you're probably within in normal range.

I wouldn't worry Daniel, you're young, the older you get the more easily the weight seems to go on and stay on. I could eat what I wanted until I hit about 21, then suddenly I have to watch everything I eat :cray:

I was a healthy weight until 18, and then I started university. Many beers, pizzas and kebabs later I'm teetering on the "obese" line according to my BMI.

I'm overweight and accept all responsibility for that! I would love to lose a few stone but I just need to find the will power.

I think for MOST(not all) overweight people this is it in a nutshell.

Bottom line is, food is delicious, large amounts of it makes us feel good and exercise and eating healthily seems like too much hard work. Much easier to blame something else than take responsibility for ourselves.

I think for MOST(not all) overweight people this is it in a nutshell.

Bottom line is, food is delicious, large amounts of it makes us feel good and exercise and eating healthily seems like too much hard work. Much easier to blame something else than take responsibility for ourselves.

Absolutely. Although I don't blame anyone for my waistline, it's entirely down to me being bone idle!