Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

European Storm & Convective Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The old thread's disappeared, so here's a brand new thread for discussing storms and convective activity on the European mainland,  which do not directly affect the UK...

A coupe of useful links for storm tracking

http://www.estofex.org

http://www.sat24.com

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime

today certainly is a busy day for storms on the continent with some lively storms over the western med heading towards the Italian coast

post-4149-0-11113500-1439196324_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Looks to be some confusion over whether or not the Marseille area will be getting some of these storms or not. We appear to be right on the boundary.

Here's hoping!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

I'm here in the southwest of Spain. The heat today is unbearable. The wind has picked up in the last couple of hours and there has been some cloud building up but that's about it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

31c here in Limousin, and as Purple Butterfly reports, starting to show real signs of destabilising already. We've had ACAS on and off all day - some really nice examples - and there are convection clouds beginning to form. Storms progged to kick off from the early hours. Could be a wine in the garden watching the lightning night...

EDIT: Looking on lightning maps there's some isolated activity already.

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted

Lots going on in our general region but nothing near enough yet. Not sure if we have lightning today or tomorrow but 4am on Friday morning looks good - and have a perfect west-facing terrace with a corking view of the distant hills :-)

Musta remember to get wine and snacks!

Posted

The area of storms seems to be heading in my direction now - as you know this is a very fickle part of the world to predict any activity in. Sometimes all the action goes off east. Let's wait and see...but at least I got my new electricity meter and upgraded supply installed without the EDF man doing it in a storm!

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Lots going on in our general region but nothing near enough yet. Not sure if we have lightning today or tomorrow but 4am on Friday morning looks good - and have a perfect west-facing terrace with a corking view of the distant hills :-)

Musta remember to get wine and snacks!

All is not lost. A huge area if development going on near Montpellier, which might develop further towards you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

The low got stuck in biscay, is it still coming at all, or is it staying south now like a winter low that promises snow and say in france lol.

Edit oops wrong thread sorry.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

Finally, after waiting all night and all day, thunder is now audible in our valley in Haute Vienne!

Posted

A couple of photos at the end of some beautiful thunderstorms here in Limousin this afternoon...

post-21857-0-35083300-1439491690_thumb.j

post-21857-0-33393500-1439491721_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

That storm over Marseilles?

Right under it! :-D

Literally awe-inspiring... No rain but flashes every second (at least) and LOTS of them forks!)

Rumbles steadily getting louder... Trying to get video of it for you guys but man it's amazing! Didn't even know this was forecast!!!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Storm now over but fitted in exactly with the timeframe in the forecast :-)

A lot of highly elevated forks (mostly above or on the other side of the building) and no CGs to speak of though a LOT of lightning.

Hardly any real rain (a few sporadic showers) but the thunder was basically one long rumble from start to finish - about 2.5 hrs in total.

So I'm happy - my European storm introduction is complete!*

*probably been in European storms when I was a child but I'm talking about since my storm obsession started a few years ago :-)

Okay off to bed - have a holiday and a wedding to do tomorrow... What a great night tho!! :-D

Posted

Storm now over but fitted in exactly with the timeframe in the forecast :-)

A lot of highly elevated forks (mostly above or on the other side of the building) and no CGs to speak of though a LOT of lightning.

Hardly any real rain (a few sporadic showers) but the thunder was basically one long rumble from start to finish - about 2.5 hrs in total.

So I'm happy - my European storm introduction is complete!*

*probably been in European storms when I was a child but I'm talking about since my storm obsession started a few years ago :-)

Okay off to bed - have a holiday and a wedding to do tomorrow... What a great night tho!! :-D

Glad you had a good night...brilliant over here isn't it. Have a great wedding and rest of your holiday!

Posted

Any webcams for Venice? Storm there is going berserk, 200 odd strikes per minute!

Posted

Looks like the potential for some good t-storm activity here in Limousin over the weekend. Here's hoping...

Posted

Wish that storm over Montpellier was here!! 340 strikes per minute on that thing down there!!

post-17277-0-25288800-1440334847_thumb.j

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Meanwhile just off the coast of Southern France near Marseilles there is a real monster of a storm going on...400+ strikes per minute currently being detected!!!

Posted

We had a great night last night! 2 hours of distant stroboscopic lightning, followed by over an hour long overhead storm and torrential rain. And all while we were camping at the lake in Creuse where it was stunning yesterday, reaching 33c during the day, followed by a blissfully humid evening with crystal clear star gazing skies and then the storms...

Posted

Whilst we miss out as per usual, northeastern Spain has been issued a level 3 from estofex!!

Will be watching this throughout today.

post-17277-0-65063200-1441023043_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Six hours of insane weather in Holland on Sunday night (30th), south of Utrecht. After two very hot days and a brief storm on Sunday morning, late evening saw streaming AcAs moving in around 9pm; by 9.30pm the first flashes appeared on the horizon and after that if all went a bit mad to be honest! Marble sized hail for over half an hour, torrential rain on and off for the whole night, SLWs which had the trees bent double, the awning collapsed, incredible lightning in every direction - you couldn't hear the thunder (well we couldn't, being in a caravan with rocks bouncing off the roof and sides!) However one very close strike, more like an explosion really, left an orange glow in the sky so assume something somewhere was on fire! Our hosts at the Dogcenter said it was the worst storm they'd ever had, and I can only thank them for that - an incredible finish to a lovely weekend!

No idea how much rain fell but would guess well over 3in, however the Dutch manage water so well that all the roads were completely devoid of standing water in the morning on the way back to Schiphol  but there was considerable flooding in the surrounding fields. Several greenhouses showed evidence of hail damage and there were branches scattered along the roads in various places. 

Although I had my camera with me I didn't take a tripod but to be honest I'm not overly bothered!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted