Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What's the point of the Met Office?

Posted

Not sure what's more offensive, calling professional forecasters ditsy autocuties, or having Piers C on a program about accurate weather forecasting.

What a pillock...  :laugh: 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

"Piers Corbyn...has a strong record of accuracy."  :laugh:

That was enough for me.

• Like 1

Posted

"Piers Corbyn...has a strong record of accuracy."  :laugh:

That was enough for me.

Yep, that did set the alarm bells ringing.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Amazing how a person with very low accuracy gets a reputation for accuracy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Amazing how a person with very low accuracy gets a reputation for accuracy. 

That's because his forecasts reach the parts that other forecasters don't...The Daily Express! :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

I think the Met Office has a point but I don't see why we should have to pay for it through our taxes. It should be a private company just like all the other sites out there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

That's because his forecasts reach the parts that other forecasters don't...The Daily Express! :rofl:

Corbyn has been dining out on December 2010, the only time he has been correct (allegedly) Yet the media have him down as the forecaster who constantly beats the professionals..............errrrrr no he doesn't. Since December 2010, 90% of his predictions have been wrong (allegedly) He also has stupid reasons for his forecasts going breasts up. The moon did something unexpected and threw a flux capacitor towards planet earth, or some onions. (allegedly)  :D

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 3

Posted

I think the Met Office has a point but I don't see why we should have to pay for it through our taxes. It should be a private company just like all the other sites out there.

Well in that case NW and the others would have to supply their own weather radars. And research has to be funded somehow if the UK is to stay in the race. And who funds NOAA?

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

I know one section that would support the METO and that's the shipping industry.

I remember an occasion during the Cod War we were returning after 35 days at sea and found that the Scottish trawlers had blocked the Clyde as a protest and as a result we couldn't dock. But wait.........when they realised it was a weather ship they broke ranks and let us through. Just as well otherwise we would have rammed them.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Thought most sensible countries put some money into at least a single weather organisation they would need and use for various needs of that country, so cannot see why anyone would expect the UK to be any different.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

I was very sad to realise it was a stupid presenter poking fun at meteorology, I found a nice Horizon documentary on last night, repeated from 2014, which made up for it.

• Like 1

Posted

Corbyn has been dining out on December 2010, the only time he has been correct (allegedly)

He did predict that August 1997 would be one of the warmest on record. I know because I use to get their newsletters back in those days. I first saw Corbyn back in November 1994 on ITN news, I actually taped the news broadcast he was on. ITN news seem to have an affinity to ask for his opinions over weather events such as White Christmases, unusual spells of weather etc in the 90s. Got me interested, so I subscribed to his free newsletters. He was or seemed more credible back in this those days. ITN news gave him credibility.

Edited by Weather-history

• 2 months later...
Posted

Meanwhile.... two months later....

http://www.pressreader.com/uk/i-from-the-independent/20151008/281655368899887/TextView

From the i newspaper.

The BBC has apologised for a Radio 4 documentary presented by the Daily Mail journalist Quentin Letts, which criticised the Met Office for it investigation of climate change (cont)...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Cool, good to hear it. I couldn't open the link as it was subscription only but thanks for spotting it, I was amazed they let such a piece of junk on the radio, but maybe they thought people would assume it was "comedy".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

I know one section that would support the METO and that's the shipping industry.

Isn't there something about the statutory obligation to furnish gale warnings and shipping reports?  There are already concerns over the longevity of the LW Droitwich transmitter because you need LW to reach outlying shipping areas - FM reliably reaches only about 60 miles.