Sign in to follow this  
Wivenswold

The Corbyn Revolution

No, not his brother, I'm talking about Jeremy Corbyn.

For the first time I'm feeling excited about politics. I think this man can upset the cosy, self-serving Westminster bubble. But with a Facebook friends list full of left-leaning types, it's difficult for me to really get a grasp on how the nation is feeling about having a Labour Leader who wants a more equal society. 

So I'd be interested in your views. 

• Like 4

No, not his brother, I'm talking about Jeremy Corbyn.

For the first time I'm feeling excited about politics. I think this man can upset the cosy, self-serving Westminster bubble. But with a Facebook friends list full of left-leaning types, it's difficult for me to really get a grasp on how the nation is feeling about having a Labour Leader who wants a more equal society. 

So I'd be interested in your views. 

Can't say i care for him, don't think he'd be a threat to the Tories however i suppose i'm a tad saddened that Labour won't be offering me a choice in the sense that i certainly won't be considering them with him as leader.

I've also heard little in terms of any policy to create a more equal society per say although the rich would probably get rich less fast with him.

Edited by summer blizzard

By and if Corbyn ever gets in number 10 I'll be seconded safely elsewhere on planet earth ....

Uranus? :D

• Like 4

What revolution? Most people have never heard nor care for Corbyn. He is really only breathing life and taking the gag off the far left of Labour which had been subdued for a couple of decades. What was it that one of Foot's senior MPs said to him when Foot said look at the cheering at my last meeting, the reply was "yes there were a thousand cheering in the hall but there's a hundred thousand outside think you're crackers."

If he is elected leader and a few months into his leadership then we will see but I can only see a headache for Labour whoever is leader depending on the size of Corbyn's vote.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Delighted we have someone offering a genuine choice between the main parties. The way Labour are treating him is disgusting.

• Like 9

I have a cunning plan (weasel's tail etc)

Perhaps I should join up as a Labour supporter.

http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/questions-about-membership

I can then help to vote Jeremy in! Surely this would consign Labour to electoral oblivion for many years to come.

Renationalise Energy companies and railways.

Withdraw from Nato.

Scrap the nuclear deterrent.

Ceding Northern Ireland to the Republic.

• Like 1

I can then help to vote Jeremy in! Surely this would consign Labour to electoral oblivion for many years to come.

Withdraw from Nato.

2 of those enjoy majority support from the public, one of them overwhelmingly so.

• Like 2

2 of those enjoy majority support from the public, one of them overwhelmingly so.

which two?

I'd guess railway nationalisation would be on that list....Mrs Kiwi would def vote for that one, given her daily commute!

but despite the benefits (see below) what about the cost?

post-1808-0-27500300-1438758242_thumb.jp

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1

which two?

I'd guess railway nationalisation would be on that list....Mrs Kiwi would def vote for that one, given her daily commute!

but despite the benefits (see below) what about the cost?

attachicon.gif_81238598_gettyimages_127547562.jpg

The railways are on a route-based franchise system that gets renewed every few years. Just let the franchises expire and take them back into public hands, little cost there.

The east coast mainline was recently under public ownership, had the highest satisfaction rating in the country and was turning a profit. Then the Tories in their infinite wisdom gave it back to their chums.

Anyway, here's polling data on numerous Corbyn policies. The other policy I was referring to was nuclear weapons.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-jeremy-corbyn-policies-that-most-people-actually-agree-with-10407148.html

He's certainly more in touch with the electorate than our current bunch of spiteful rulers.

• Like 4

The railways are on a route-based franchise system that gets renewed every few years. Just let the franchises expire and take them back into public hands, little cost there.

The east coast mainline was recently under public ownership, had the highest satisfaction rating in the country and was turning a profit. Then the Tories in their infinite wisdom gave it back to their chums.

Anyway, here's polling data on numerous Corbyn policies. The other policy I was referring to was nuclear weapons.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-jeremy-corbyn-policies-that-most-people-actually-agree-with-10407148.html

He's certainly more in touch with the electorate than our current bunch of spiteful rulers.

Getting rid of Nuclear weapons and leaving Nato would not get my vote!

Look at where giving up Nuclear weapons has got Ukraine...despite the empty promises of the Budapest memorandum.

Meanwhile Russia is actually increasing its nuclear arsenal.

Yougov research shows that just 29% of the British public support scrapping the Uk's nuclear weapons all together.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1

I think the big gamble for those backing Corbyn is that he can enthuse and attract a decent proportion of the millions that don't bother to vote anymore at elections.

If he can't, Labour are in trouble, as I just can't see many of those who voted UKIP or Tory last time being attracted by the sort of Policies Corbyn will promote. I would also assume that the (far fewer in number!) who voted Lib Dem did so on the basis that they were relatively happy with how the Con/Lib Dem Coalition worked so it's hard to imagine a great deal of them switching as well.

I guess there could be some switches from the Greens and maybe from the SNP, though Scotland seems to have its' own dynamic and the horse may well have already bolted for all of the "main" Parties.

Corbyn is a relic of the past. It doesn't need revisiting.

“The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.â€
  • Like 1

Corbyn is a relic of the past. It doesn't need revisiting.

“The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.â€

I actually surprised you aren't more positive about him, Knocker.

Is he too left for you? Or...

I thought you'd support him tbh.

I think he could increase turnout but I think we'd see the Tories gaining votes too (from UKIP and right leaning Labour Party members and orange book Lib dems).

Depends how successfully the Lib dems reorganise themselves.

Personally, I wouldn't mind Corbyn becoming leader. I think on some issues he could push for change ie the parliament moving to all the countries in Britain (as he said on newsnight last night) etc.

However, he doesn't stand a chance of being PM imo

• Like 1

Withdraw from Nato.

You mean giving it back?  :wink:

Alas, Corbyn would be slaughtered by the media pack the second he won the leadership election (ironically the same press that frequently champions his brother's mad weather predictions). We'd then be stuck with the Eton mess for the foreseeable.

I actually surprised you aren't more positive about him, Knocker.

Is he too left for you? Or...

I thought you'd support him tbh.

I think he could increase turnout but I think we'd see the Tories gaining votes too (from UKIP and right leaning Labour Party members and orange book Lib dems).

Depends how successfully the Lib dems reorganise themselves.

Personally, I wouldn't mind Corbyn becoming leader. I think on some issues he could push for change ie the parliament moving to all the countries in Britain (as he said on newsnight last night) etc.

However, he doesn't stand a chance of being PM imo

I've no idea why you think I have leftish leanings SW. One has to be realistic and Corbyn would an unmitigated disaster for the Labour Party which is in a deep enough hole as it is. He is no more in touch with ordinary people than Cameron is. You weren't around in the late 70s but believe me we don't want to take even tentative steps down that road.

The bottom line is you have get elected before you can even attempt to make a difference. The last election highlighted that when Mileband and the rest of the boys in the band gifted it to Cameron. Putting Corbyn in charge would be tantamount to taking a hammer and putting a few more nails in the coffin.

• Like 5

I've no idea why you think I have leftish leanings SW. One has to be realistic and Corbyn would an unmitigated disaster for the Labour Party which is in a deep enough hole as it is. He is no more in touch with ordinary people than Cameron is. You weren't around in the late 70s but believe me we don't want to take even tentative steps down that road.

The bottom line is you have get elected before you can even attempt to make a difference. The last election highlighted that when Mileband and the rest of the boys in the band gifted it to Cameron. Putting Corbyn in charge would be tantamount to taking a hammer and putting a few more nails in the coffin.

Pretty much my thoughts Knocker.

Imo Corbyn would come across to many of our older generation as a reinvented left wing Michael Foot -an early 80's electrol disaster for Labour.

Maybe some younger voters who don't recall the late 70's would find something completely different and far left(in comparison to recent labour)appealing but i wouldn't want our country to go there.

It has taken us years to get our economy moving again and it would be a massive step back to the old Labour days of public spending of taxpayers money we havent got.

Ok things aren't perfect now but we seem to be rebuilding and until an oppostion party can appeal to more in the centre than the tories currently then i think we are stuck with them for the foreseeable.

• Like 2

Pretty much my thoughts Knocker.

Imo Corbyn would come across to many of our older generation as a reinvented left wing Michael Foot -an early 80's electrol disaster for Labour.

Maybe some younger voters who don't recall the late 70's would find something completely different and far left(in comparison to recent labour)appealing but i wouldn't want our country to go there.

It has taken us years to get our economy moving again and it would be a massive step back to the old Labour days of public spending of taxpayers money we havent got.

Ok things aren't perfect now but we seem to be rebuilding and until an oppostion party can appeal to more in the centre than the tories currently then i think we are stuck with them for the foreseeable.

I Have to say the thought of that does make one consider an extended holiday in Basel.

I Have to say the thought of that does make one consider an extended holiday in Basel.

(Quoted this post as it's easier)

Fair enough. Can't say I disagree with your analysis on that one.

Tbh, I'd need to really see what he stood for on a range of issues but I'll probably disagree with most of what he says.

He hasn't won yet so we'll have to wait and see...

It can get a little confusing. Here is part of what he said yesterday.

Speaking in Leeds, Mr Corbyn praised James Callaghan’s government of 1976 to 1979, which presided over the “winter of discontentâ€, when schools were shut, rubbish piled up in the streets and the dead went unburied. Admitting that no government was ever perfect, Mr Corbyn said the Callaghan administration was investing in high technology, growing industries, computing and many other fields.

He added: “I’m accused of being a throwback to the 1980s, but I’ll go back one decade further and just say there are lessons to be learnt from what that government was trying to do. To recognise the changing industrial face of the whole world also recognises the huge skill levels we have and the traditions of industry we have in this country that were allowed to be wasted on the altar of monetarism and the development of a financial services economy, rather than a manufacturing economy.â€

Callaghan's government was a disaster but I could happily go along with the last sentence

Guys,

From my current centre right wing point of view, it is nice to see some more constructive and realistic posts  on here beginnining to appear from the left.

(Note I havn't always voted to the right!)..

But I considered as is considered and pointed out above also, that Labour must construct an economic plan and policy which is capable of supporting a more liberal social engineering agenda, before I could return.

As is suggested returning to the Foot era would be a no- no for the greater portion of the public.

.But I would have loved to have seen what Smith could have made of his left wing but economically pro-business agenda. 

However it was not to be...

Labour cannot seem to be able to build/find someone centre left wing (without being in the pay of unions), who would be able to convince the general public of his abilities. I suspect that more soul searching is needed as I do not think anyone of the four will fit the bill.

I suspect that we will have to go through a more activist union dominated period for the left, before sense dawns.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2

It can get a little confusing. Here is part of what he said yesterday.

Speaking in Leeds, Mr Corbyn praised James Callaghan’s government of 1976 to 1979, which presided over the “winter of discontentâ€, when schools were shut, rubbish piled up in the streets and the dead went unburied. Admitting that no government was ever perfect, Mr Corbyn said the Callaghan administration was investing in high technology, growing industries, computing and many other fields.

He added: “I’m accused of being a throwback to the 1980s, but I’ll go back one decade further and just say there are lessons to be learnt from what that government was trying to do. To recognise the changing industrial face of the whole world also recognises the huge skill levels we have and the traditions of industry we have in this country that were allowed to be wasted on the altar of monetarism and the development of a financial services economy, rather than a manufacturing economy.â€

Callaghan's government was a disaster but I could happily go along with the last sentence

He forgot to mention that it was also frittered on Trades Union greed.

• Like 1