Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st August 00z---------->

Posted

Afternoon everyone,

I've spent a little time lurking behind the curtains of this forum, and my science-obsessed mind has been drawn to mentions of teleconnections and analogue year composites which have recently become a subject of fascination on my part.

Indeed we see a nice example above, representing a classic 'enhanced Euro Ridge' response to a strong El Nino configuration in the latter stages of the summer season. I suspect this relates (at least partially) to increased atmospheric warmth piling up into a greater 'bulge' in the troposphere (I prefer to describe it that way to avoid detailing complicated dynamics!). In this way we get a glimpse of the rationale behind warmer, drier UK summers as a result of global warming... though it's unlikely to be that straight forward I'm afraid.

ECM seems to want to add more amplification to the pattern than suggested by the composite, digging low pressure southeast from the mid-Atlantic rather than firing it northeast.

At a glance (been busy this morning as usual), GFS seems more in line with the composite out to 7-8 days ahead, though the Polar/Arctic pattern does still allow for more of a Scandi High with lower heights S. of the UK than would otherwise be expected:

A case of 'heat from the east' on that run, touching 30*C in CS England  :good:

A little detail of the complicated dynamics would be useful as I'm not understanding what you mean by "increased atmospheric warmth piling up into a greater 'bulge' in the troposphere". Or for that matter ,"we get a glimpse of the rationale behind warmer, drier UK summers as a result of global warming"

The heat from the east on that run was due to a shallow low travelling NE from France.and was very temporary..

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

We still can't seem to get a nationwide decent Summery spell and it looks like a very average outlook remains with some very mixed conditions north to south during the next week to 10days.

Some images from the 12z GFS run and a UK fax chart at day4 show that even with a shallow Azores ridge across the south we have a lot of cloud inbedded in the Atlantic flow.

post-2026-0-15832900-1438970555_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-97774800-1438969066_thumb.pn

A shallow upper trough continues to plague Nw Europe and the E.Atlantic.The jet although rather weak continues to feed weak frontal systems across the UK.

post-2026-0-56039700-1438969086_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-61796800-1438969208_thumb.gi

keeping the Azores high suppressed and the heat unable to get north of the Channel.

It really is a case of taking things day to day,noting forecasts of any associated patchy cloud and rain, as there will be some brighter periods with some warmth either side of the straddling fronts,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS and GEM both move a low in for days 8-10..

Rtavn1923.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Is the front slipping southeast across southern Britain on Sunday, going to give us nuisance value rain or a decent soaking? a nightmare for forecasters! :cc_confused:

post-6830-0-21295600-1438971869_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

A little detail of the complicated dynamics would be useful as I'm not understanding what you mean by "increased atmospheric warmth piling up into a greater 'bulge' in the troposphere". Or for that matter ,"we get a glimpse of the rationale behind warmer, drier UK summers as a result of global warming"

The heat from the east on that run was due to a shallow low travelling NE from France.and was very temporary..

Good questions and points knocker, I'll do what I can to answer/explain them;

First quote, I was referring to the way 500mb heights are influenced by temperature as well as surface pressure. This is due to the fact that pressure falls more slowly with height in warmer air relative to cooler (as it's less dense). I must admit that the idea of this leading to stronger, more expansive areas of high pressure being possible is pretty much paraphrased from various comments I've read online over the past few years (I remember it being linked with the Russian heatwave in 2010 I think it was), but it seems logical enough to me.

The link with warmer, drier summers as a result of global warming is then a case of supposing that, if the amount of heat in the atmosphere in a 'neutral' ENSO year was to become as high as in an 'El Nino' year at this point in time, then unusually strong and expansive ridges of high pressure over Europe would become more common.

If anyone on this site (and I'm sure there are plenty with enough expertise) knows of stats/theory/facts that take this proposed link apart, please don't hesitate to correct me!  :good: 

Finally, I realise I didn't clarify that I was referring to the 'heat from the east' for that date in particular, not the run as a whole. Up the learning curve I go  :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Is the front slipping southeast across southern Britain on Sunday, going to give us nuisance value rain or a decent soaking? a nightmare for forecasters! :cc_confused:

That's what I'm thinking, washout Sunday and monday for north midlands, maybe a lull Sunday night

Posted

I real headache this one, as there's ample moisture but the extent to which the frontal system can engage with that is highly uncertain - check out the precipitable water values (mm) from WRF-NMM:

nmmuk-46-42-0.png?07-20

nmmuk-46-56-0.png?07-20

Yet precipitation amounts are actually very low or nil:

nmmuk-1-42-0.png?07-20

...which is more or less what the BBC forecast this evening was in support of. GFS is not that far away this evening so perhaps the picture is finally becoming clearer - unlike for next week when it looks like the proximity and precise dynamics of a shallow low to the SE will make all the difference.

The GFS 12z was unfortunate for large parts of England, and ECM is worryingly similar, though who's to say whether the rain would be so persistent as GFS has come up with. Warm and showery is a possibility I think.

For some of the kindest output tonight, we can look to UKMO - as has often been the case in recent days:

UW144-21.GIF

I sure do like how images work in here  :clapping:

• Like 1

Posted

A quick look at the GEFS anomalies tonight and they are not greatly different to 24hrs ago

The middle of next looks fine but by Saturday the trough to the NW has linked to the one near Spain which with the Scandinavian ridge could produce an interesting surface analysis. Far too early to go into that.

The trough doesn't hang around too long and by the 19th it has retracted to the Greenland/Iceland area leaving a zonal flow along the Azores ridge bring about a return of the fine weather

From there to the end of the run it builds on this scenario.

So generally speaking not a bad outlook according to the book of GEFS

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-33881300-1438973650_thumb.p

post-12275-0-60890500-1438973657_thumb.p

post-12275-0-29720300-1438973666_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Good questions and points knocker, I'll do what I can to answer/explain them;

First quote, I was referring to the way 500mb heights are influenced by temperature as well as surface pressure. This is due to the fact that pressure falls more slowly with height in warmer air relative to cooler (as it's less dense). I must admit that the idea of this leading to stronger, more expansive areas of high pressure being possible is pretty much paraphrased from various comments I've read online over the past few years (I remember it being linked with the Russian heatwave in 2010 I think it was), but it seems logical enough to me.

The link with warmer, drier summers as a result of global warming is then a case of supposing that, if the amount of heat in the atmosphere in a 'neutral' ENSO year was to become as high as in an 'El Nino' year at this point in time, then unusually strong and expansive ridges of high pressure over Europe would become more common.

If anyone on this site (and I'm sure there are plenty with enough expertise) knows of stats/theory/facts that take this proposed link apart, please don't hesitate to correct me!  :good: 

Finally, I realise I didn't clarify that I was referring to the 'heat from the east' for that date in particular, not the run as a whole. Up the learning curve I go  :hi:

Singularity

With the best will in the world I think you are confusing a number of things. The 500mb heights are a function of temperature. Yes the variation of surface pressure comes into the equation which is why the 1000mb-500mb thickness is often used as a more useful measure of the air mass. If you take the 'height', measured in geopotential metres of the temperature profile between the various pressure levels of two air massess, one cold and one warm, then the heights in the colder air will all be less than the warmer air so the 500mb height will be correspondingly lower. Thus the 500mb contour chart is an indicator warm/cold or low and  high pressure. I'm afraid I haven't a clue what this has to do with a bulge in the troposphere. I apologise if I'm reading you incorrectly.

I think we will leave the drier summers and global warming issue as it's not relevant here anyway.

EDIT

So in an attempt to connect to your point. Yes pressure will 'fall' more slowly in warm air because the pressure levels will be higher.

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Well its Friday Night , so shall we have a laugh :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  

post-6830-0-42989100-1438975411_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-97534200-1438975571_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-49602800-1438975593.jpg

post-6830-0-57429300-1438975886_thumb.gi

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm 12z shows the Azores high ridging in nicely next week and the midweek period looks very good with high pressure bringing dry, warm and sunny weather for most areas. The s/e becomes very warm / hot and increasingly humid with a chance of thunderstorms breaking out and also a risk of Storms pushing up from the near continent later next week. After an unsettled blip it's also looking good at the end of the run with high pressure building east across the uk. I think the south and east of England will hot up through the second half of next week with hazy sunshine and a growing chance of catching a T-Storm with temperatures into the 80's F. :)

post-4783-0-53483000-1438976496_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-94820800-1438976511_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-65758300-1438976519_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-26189100-1438976526_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-39557100-1438976534_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-37747900-1438976545_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

My interpretation of ECM is a little different to some in that while I acknowledge warmth and humidity is a strong feature in the South next week cloud cover and the threat of thundery outbreaks will not permit very high temperatures per se. Thereafter a cooler unsettled phase develops in a cool NW flow before a pressure rise from the NW returns warmer and drier conditions SE across the UK late next weekend.

• Like 1

Posted

My tuppence tonight - next week looking warm, occasionally gorgeous, and often messy. I imagine everyone will get at least a couple of decent days out of it, even up in the highlands. Perhaps the messiest place will be down here in the south. STILL the potential for more or less heatwave conditions (26C or more daily, is that OK for a definition?) starting, well, now and carrying on until next weekend - but some weird complications rising up from the south - GFS has almost permanent rain from Weds to Fri - I would have thought hot and thundery myself. But nowhere looks like getting a bad week - one or two iffy days at worst. And at least average or above throughout. Not bad.

• Like 1

Posted

500 hPa height anomalies during 1997 between June and August. Courtesy: NOAA.

In this particular El Nino event, we do see strong positive 500 hPa height anomalies covering the whole of Europe. However, does one year's match make the link to be true? This is a difficult question, where further examination of other strong El Nino years could be very valueable.

Finding an explanation for a phenomenon that may or may not be there is even more hazardous. Therefore, for the remainder of this post I will attempt to explain the current anomalous ridging over central Europe without looking at past analogues.

Thanks for another interesting analysis. Regarding the connection with El Nino I think your comment quoted below, interesting and quite important as Michael Ventrice did say "similar to the current event". So I agree that until a further examination is carried out El Nino is still very much in the frame.

In this particular El Nino event, we do see strong positive 500 hPa height anomalies covering the whole of Europe. However, does one year's match make the link to be true? This is a difficult question, where further examination of other strong El Nino years could be very valueable.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

Another interesting post from Vorticity, thank you, and knocker PLEASE do not repeat a whole post from other folk, just a link is good enough?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down
HERE IS MY LATEST ANALYSIS USING DATA SUPPLIED BY THE NWP OUTPUT COVERING 5 OF THE WORLDS MOST POWERFUL WEATHER COMPUTERS ISSUED AT 08:00 ON SATURDAY AUG 8TH 2015

THE CURRENT GENERAL SITUATION A ridge of High pressure lies NE across the UK today. The ridge collapses SE tonight and tomorrow to lie in the English Channel while a fresh SW flow develops over the UK with troughs weakening as they move SE over Britain tonight and tomorrow.

MODELS-2 WEEK HEADLINE Remaining rather changeable with a little rain at times. Some dry and at times warm conditions are likely for all areas as well.

THE GFS JET STREAM FORECAST The GFS Jet Stream Forecast shows the flow moving NE across Northern Britain with the axis gradually feeding further SE over the coming days. The flow then steadily weakens close to Southern Britain before becoming generally quite slack though still troughed well South over the Atlantic and later towards the UK once more..

GFS OPERATIONAL The GFS Operational Run today shows the ridge across the far South of the UK weakening as the fronts moving down from the NW on Sunday and Monday weaken too and the accompanying SW flow lightens. occasional rain and drizzle will largely break up into showers by Tuesday. at the same time pressure falls from the South and a thundery spell of weather develops across Southern and Eastern Britain with a drier spell in the North. Then Westerly winds with rain at times looks likely as Low pressure to the North and NW returns with the best of the drier and warmer weather  back towards Southern Britain late in the run. 

THE GFS CONTROL The GFS Control Run looks broadly similar, certainly in the first week with the ridge of High pressure developing across the North towards midweek and a thundery low to the SE. The weather turns changeable generally at the end of Week 1 before week 2 shows a mix of a High pressure ridges followed by a Low pressure cell moving slowly North-east or North over the UK to leave the UK in a NW flow at the end of the run.

THE GFS CLUSTERS(14 Days) The GFS Clusters this morning for 14 days are not quite as good as yesterday morning's today as they indicate High pressure likely to be parked out over the Atlantic with a ridge only towards Southern Britain but with more influence from a West or NW flow over all areas with rain at times particularly towards the North and West.

UKMO UKMO today shows increasingly thundery conditions developing next week as the SW flow weakens from all but Scotland by Tuesday with warm and humid air in place. Wednesday sees Low pressure edge into Southern Britain from Europe continuing in situ up to the end of the week with thundery showers in warm and close conditions while the North sees the best of the drier weather and just occasional rain on Thursday from an Atlantic trough.

THE FAX CHARTS The Fax Charts this morning show a series of troughs weakening as they move SE into Southern Britain over the coming days. They remain active enough to give cloud, occasional light rain and eventually thundery showers as humid and unstable air reinvigorates them by midweek when the North sees drier and brighter conditions.

GEM GEM today shows a SW flow with embedded troughs too moving SE into Southern Britain early next week. A ridge then develops across Central Britain but the old troughs get reinvigoration from thundery instability moving up from Europe close to the SE. So thundery showers become a risk in the South from midweek with the best weather in the North before a gradual change to cooler and more changeable conditions with rain at times look likely from later next weekend as Low pressure feeds slowly East over the UK from the West.

NAVGEM NAVGEM follows a similar route in bringing a thundery continental Low North close to SE Britain midweek with warm and close conditions developing after the innitial days of cloud and a little rain early next week. After the first few days the best of the drier and brighter conditions transfer to the NW of the UK close to a ridge from the SW..

ECM ECM this morning shows the thundery Low further to the East and as a result probably only affecting SE Britain with dry and bright weather elsewhere and pleasantly warm in any sunshine. Then as winds settled NW'ly for a time it will likely become a little cooler with just a few showers in the East before a North/South split in the weather gradually returns with rain at times for all but more especially in the North and West with longer dry spells for the South and SE.

ECM 10 DAY MEAN The ECM 10 Day Mean Chart from last evening shows a Westerly feed across the Atlantic towards the British Isles with no doubt some influence across the UK given Low pressure lies to the NW and High pressure near the Azores. The likely result is a familiar tone of rain at times, chiefly in the North and West with longer drier, warmer and brighter weather towards the South and SE..

NOTABLE TREND CHANGES FROM PREVIOUS RUNS The models trend changeable today with various options between the models desiring a return to Atlantic airflow domination in the longer term.

31 DAY HISTORICAL VERIFICATION STATS FOR GFS, UKMO & ECM The Verification Statistics of GFS, UKMO and ECM. This morning's verification statistics show ECM leading the way at 3 days with 95.9 pts followed by UKMO at 95.5 pts and GFS at 94.7 pts. At 5 days ECM is stll king at 85.9 pts followed by GFS at 83.9 and UKMO at 83.8 pts. Then at 8 Days ECM still leads at 58.3 pts over GFS's 53.5 pts. Finally at Day 10 ECM leads GFS at 39.7 pts to 34.0 pts from GFS.

MY THOUGHTS Details of large scale changes are non apparent again this morning as the models serve up yet another cocktail of options on specific weather events over the coming two weeks, none of which have major implications for any one area in particular. In sequential order it looks like a SW flow will develop across the UK over the next three days with a series of troughs moving SE across the UK, weakening as they do and becoming slow moving over the South early next week but delivering occasional rain and drizzle where they lie. Behind them a ridge builds across the North but humid and thundery air over Europe looks like reinvigorating the troughs in the South to increase the risk of heavy and thundery showers for the rest of next week. While warm or locally very warm cloud amounts will deter the very highest temperatures but it is likely to feel close and humid. The North at this time look at long last likely to have some reasonable if not memorable conditions at this time. Then all models seem to then want to use this thundery Low to the SE as a catalyst to return a more Atlantic influence back across the UK through week 2 to a greater or lesser degree depending on which model you look at. What this would likely mean at the surface is a fall back in temperature to nearer average, less humidity but dare I say it a more North/South split in the weather again with rain at times for all but a lot of dry and bright weather in between especially for the South. The models seem to be really struggling at the moment which is quite a common occurrence when pressure conditions are generally quite slack as they look like being over the second half of next week meaning long term projections come with a lower than normal degree of confidence. I will say though that the ECM longer term projection illustrated by it's 10 day mean chart each day has been consistent in maintaining a loose westerly bias across the UK at the 10 day time point for several weeks now and this continues this morning. It's verification statistics listed above have shown this to be the right call and alone has not been sucked in by High Summer synoptics occasionally thrown out by some of the other output only to be watered down in later runs. So where that leaves us is in a continuing changeable theme of weather which looks much better than recently for the North but much the same for the South as occasional rain or showers looks the order of the next two weeks for many and while warm and humid but typical August conditions look likely there may well end up a more even distribution between amounts of rainfall having fallen North to South at the end of the next two weeks than has been the case so far this Summer.

Next update from 09:00 Monday Aug 10th 2015

• Like 3

Posted

ECM has upped the temperatures again for coming week by a degree or two at times. I would expect at least 6 of the next 7 days to exceed 80F somewhere in the country.

Edited by rjbw

Posted

With regard to the ENSO forcings discussed here, did anyone notice MV has a tweet about verification of their July analogue forecast for the USA.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/629658217400922112

JBD1tCQ.png

Notice that '97 is not included in the five years (top left of pic) - is this because '98, as now, is a second year Nino season or for some other reason. Are we comparing like for like?

Recretos had an interesting comment on the state of the stratosphere...

Well, so far, the strat seems to be doing the opposite of what is supposed to be the main signal from a positive ENSO3.4.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81567-stratosphere-temperature-watch-20142015/?p=3243289

• Like 1

Posted

12Zs coming out. I still hold to my prediction of 6 days out of 7 reaching 80F in some locations. I also think favourable areas in the north could see 80F reached at some point in the week.

However, when in comes to any particular location, I'm not actually sure it's possible to make any prediction from Tuesday to Saturday next week. The scenario is a little like September in the Mediterranean - lots of heat around but also lots of disturbances. Places that avoid showers will see temperatures soar, whilst where the atmospheric disturbances are centralised - possibly even just 50 miles away - cloud, rain and temperatures up to 10C lower could be the result.

The following chart is an absolute minefield - uppers nearly 18C, but low pressure just to the south and not going anywhere quick. There'd be some pretty bizarre contrasts across the nation on this:

gfs-0-114.png?12

gfs-1-114.png?12

• Like 1

Posted

I'd go so far as to say that this year has often behaved strangely, one way or another. I suppose it can in theory be a second-year El Nino depending on how you look at the SSTs, though it's only really this year that upwelling/reduced downwelling has really manifested in the W. Pacific to bring things in line with the typical El Nino pattern. In fact - assuming I'm recalling this accurately - the delay in that behavior was enough to keep the atmosphere in a more La Nina type arrangement during much of the first half of this year.

- - - - - - - 

Looking at the 12z GFS today, it appears that as early as Monday, a significant adjustment has occured over NW Europe regarding the position of the shallow low that goes on to become a significant player in our weather later in the week. Here's the 06z version of events followed by the 12z, for comparison:

h500slp.png

h500slp.png

A glance at the UKMO 12z op run reveals a similar adjustment as of T+96, yet the focal point for development still turns out to be about as far east as it was come T+120 (dubious in my humble opinion!). It will be interesting to see which way ECM goes tonight - I'd surprised if the low wasn't initially further west, but will the main development still occur to our SE then E or will it be something more to our S?

With that LP developing notably further west than seen in the previous few operational GFS runs, there are interesting results by Thursday:

h850t850eu.png

As much as I feel UKMO is a bit dubious in how it evolves, it still fits in better with recent model consistency than this GFS outcome, so arguably it's more sensible to expect something closer to UKMO at this stage. At least that still involves what could be a very warm easterly next Thursday. I would post images but the last time I did that they had to be from another site and my post disappeared...

The most positive interpretation I can think of is that we've now had two GFS runs in a row which have avoided the 'stalled frontal boundary' situation for England, instead allowing for very warm conditions for at least Wed-Fri and possibly Tue-Sat if the 12z GFS turns out to be close to the actual outcome.

Looking further ahead, that GFS 12z produces a strong Scandi High as the Atlantic trough doesn't extend SE and 'scoop out' the low pressure over Central/Eastern Europe. A very interesting outcome and one of my favourite runs of recent days  :good:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 12z shows a nice influx of very warm and increasingly humid weather through the second half of next week although the first half looks warm too, from Thursday,temps rise into the 80's F quite widely across southern UK with sunny periods but an increasing chance of thundery showers both home grown and imported from France. Looking further ahead, it stays on the warm side with a lot of fine weather but with a few sharp showers around and then a spell of very warm anticyclonic weather during low res. It's good to see warmer temps and more summery synoptics again after what happened in most of July...plenty of warmth on the way, at least for England and Wales. :)

post-4783-0-48693200-1439056458_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-83166300-1439056724_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-82658300-1439056732_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-01820400-1439056745_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-10687400-1439056753_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-71318900-1439056761_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

The GFS continues to show a nice pleasant week ahead, With temps showing touching 28c for the Midlands South by Friday, And the North also fairing some pleasant and warmer temps than of recent Wks/Month's. Out into day 10 and High Pressure continues to sit over the UK.

post-12319-0-16650100-1439059015_thumb.p

post-12319-0-12977800-1439059025_thumb.p

post-12319-0-74830300-1439059038_thumb.p

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Back to the Models please. If your post is missing it's here https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82655-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-springsummer-2015/page-71#entry3243685

Thanks, PM.

Edited by Polar Maritime