Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possibility of all time coldest July day on record today

Posted

Coldest ever in this area in recent times was 12.4c in 1988

today the bbc is showing it to get no higher than 11c.

This month has also had both the warmest and coldest July night in my records (since 2010).

Is anywhere else risking their coldest day on record?

Coldest ever in this area in recent times was 12.4c in 1988

today the bbc is showing it to get no higher than 11c.

This month has also had both the warmest and coldest July night in my records (since 2010).

Is anywhere else risking their coldest day on record?

Charterhall (Scottish Borders) managed a mere 11ºC as a max yesterday, over 8ºC below average. I'm not sure if it was a record coldest July day, the online records only go back for this site about ten years but it was the coldest July max I could see in that period.

Posted

I'm sure Sunday must be up there for here, high of just 13.3c, today only 15.3c! 

Posted

Lowest here has been 13.7C on the 20th. 18th July 2012 managed only 11.5C and three other days in that vile month had a max of 12C as did 10th July 2008.

Undoubtedly it is these types of disgustingly cold days that are becoming more frequent in summer. Certainly not heatwaves.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

No record breakers here, but still very cool - reached the dizzying heights of 16.1C. Now down to 12C and falling fast with clearing skies. Today reminded me of 2007 or 2008 - murky during the day and then a miraculous clearance after dark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Certainly not a July record breaker here with a max' of 15.2c today.

The lowest 24 hr July maximum was 11.0c on the 18th in 1987 and 11.2c on the 8th in 2004 was a close second.

Two other years have produced 24 hr maxima below 12c; the 9th in 1993 with 11.5c and the 21st in 2007 with 11.9c.

There have been a few daytime maximum temperatures in July lower than the above but quite often a low daytime maximum will be exceeded by 0900 the following morning as cool, wet and windy weather rarely lasts for a whole 24 hours at this time of year. 

The daytime maximum on July 8th 2004 was just 9.8c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

The lowest maximum I experienced one July day in Liverpool was 48F in 1967 (can't remember the actual date).  The cold weather made the front page of the Liverpool Echo.  We thought in old money back then but 9C on a July afternoon was remarkable.  However with the obvious cooling of recent summers I don't think I'll have to wait long before another 9C July day turns up.

• Like 1

Posted

Anything below 14C is quite rare here in July. Today, the temperature was 12-13C during much of the day but a brief brighter period lifted the temperature to 15.1C (which often happens in summer).

Its all still a long way from the max of 12.8C on 8th July 2004. That was the July coldest maxima here by some way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The lowest maximum I experienced one July day in Liverpool was 48F in 1967 (can't remember the actual date).  The cold weather made the front page of the Liverpool Echo.  We thought in old money back then but 9C on a July afternoon was remarkable.  However with the obvious cooling of recent summers I don't think I'll have to wait long before another 9C July day turns up.

Am I missing something here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Are you sure it was 1967, Pete? 

July 1967 was a generally dry and warm month and the lowest maximum I recorded ( close to my current site but much lower) was 15.6c on the 29th.

Posted

Anything below 14C is quite rare here in July. Today, the temperature was 12-13C during much of the day but a brief brighter period lifted the temperature to 15.1C (which often happens in summer).

Its all still a long way from the max of 12.8C on 8th July 2004. That was the July coldest maxima here by some way.

Amazing difference over a short distance. We've beat your lowest max several times this July and at the end of the month too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Are you sure it was 1967, Pete? 

July 1967 was a generally dry and warm month and the lowest maximum I recorded ( close to my current site but much lower) was 15.6c on the 29th.

Yes, it was a very dull day (I was in Liverpool city centre with family) and a maximum of 48F reported in the press, the cause - a set-up sadly too apparent lately, a stiff Northerly straight from the Arctic.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

:)  I was a boy in Liverpool at the time and can clearly remember the
thunderstorms that affected the city during the early hours of 14th July

It started thundering at about 01:00 (BST) and continued to do so until
about 06:00. There were three separate storms in all and they must have been
very slow moving as each storm lasted over an hour. There was frequent, very
bright lightning and almost continuous thunder, some of which was very loud.
I didn't get very much sleep that night!

Needless to say I have experienced many thunderstorms since then but the
Liverpool storm of 14th July 1967 remains the most memorable.

• Like 1