Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Summer Sun

World Cup 2018

It was painful 28 years ago, and its horrible again tonight, but there is one difference. This a young team, under a young manager without any real tournament experience. This is a team which will get better, and better..

WELL DONE ENGLAND BE PROUD!!

• Like 1

Got to say it does seem the story of the tornement decent first half but woeful 2nd really and deserved to go out in the end. 

I'm not particularly buying into this semis final hype either, England had the easiest route to get there in many of a year and you can't exactly say any performance by England during this tornement apart from the first half's against Panama and Tunisia were exactly wow factor.

Lack of creativity remains a huge concern really. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

It was painful 28 years ago, and its horrible again tonight, but there is one difference. This a young team, under a young manager without any real tournament experience. This is a team which will get better, and better..

WELL DONE ENGLAND BE PROUD!!

I'll likley be dead by then ,but I can support my  late mothers country in the finals ,lol

Edited by Mokidugway

8 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Never of beat France anyway 

France would have wiped the floor with England, we played two good teams and lost to both of them, France are better than good, just saved ourselves embarrassment and heartbreak in the final, Harry Kane should have been subbed.

• Like 4

From half-time on, they seemed to forget everything Southgate had taught them. Hopefully, the FA will  read it that way rather than sack him.

• Like 1

Seemed to me the usual missery second half ,to much back passing  which is classic of a fatigued team 

1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

I'll likley be dead by then ,but I can support my  late mothers country in the finals ,lol

I feel bad because I tipped Croatia on here when the WC started, experienced, and have 2 or 3 players who can hurt any team.   

Really should have put the game out of Croatia’s reach in the first half . After that it turned into hoof ball .  How many opportunities do you get to play a team like Croatia to get into the WC final .

I can cope with losing to a great team but with all respect we played an okay side and lost.  Gutted doesn’t sum it up ! 

Just now, Summer Sun said:

Belgium reserves vs England reserves will be a must watch on Saturday...

I'm washing my hair  that day 

• Like 2

They need to ditch this stupid 3rd place game .  It’s a waste of time and the players aren’t interested and neither are the fans .

• Like 1

cannot see point in that friendly SS, pointless match, not as though there's bronze medal, suppose friendly for Euro '20

I pretty much lived and breathed football until the early nineties and felt the defeats in '90 and '96 like a death in the family (well, I was a younger man and could perhaps be excused for a poor sense of proportion!).

The 20 odd years since have been disappointing, embarrassing, predictable, depressing etc etc. and I've long since leaned to cope by choosing not to care. Investing no emotion at all in supporting my national football team.

Well now, that has changed.

Whatever the diehard critics will say about quality of opponents and a once in a lifetime opportunity, it doesn't matter. England have got to the sharp end of a major tournament and deserve enormous respect for that achievement and the way they've gone about it. We can be taken seriously again as a footballing nation and look forward with some degree of pride and confidence.

The great Brian Clough said good management is about getting good players playing well and average players playing better than they thought they could. That is what Southgate has achieved and he should be applauded for it.

For what it's worth, I felt we were beaten by the better team tonight (just) and I would love to see Croatia go on and win it. France are beatable, they were poor in their group matches. Should be a good game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dougal said:

I pretty much lived and breathed football until the early nineties and felt the defeats in '90 and '96 like a death in the family (well, I was a younger man and could perhaps be excused for a poor sense of proportion!).

The 20 odd years since have been disappointing, embarrassing, predictable, depressing etc etc. and I've long since leaned to cope by choosing not to care. Investing no emotion at all in supporting my national football team.

Well now, that has changed.

Whatever the diehard critics will say about quality of opponents and a once in a lifetime opportunity, it doesn't matter. England have got to the sharp end of a major tournament and deserve enormous respect for that achievement and the way they've gone about it. We can be taken seriously again as a footballing nation and look forward with some degree of pride and confidence.

The great Brian Clough said good management is about getting good players playing well and average players playing better than they thought they could. That is what Southgate has achieved and he should be applauded for it.

For what it's worth, I felt we were beaten by the better team tonight (just) and I would love to see Croatia go on and win it. France are beatable, they were poor in their group matches. Should be a good game.

Well said Doug ,still hurts though 

Once again the media hyping up England beyond real expectations.

The draw really opened up for them and they were beaten by the only two decent teams they faced.

Still, you can only beat what's in front of you and the semi finals were a great achievement. 

• Like 3

Second best tonight  but what a tournament  a little disappinted  but compared to were most thought we would finish I'm very happy   I thought young was poor tonight  and this will probably be his last game    for what' it' worth our best player of the tournament for me was trippier  well done England  but now it's come on the wolves ps parrot called the correct score earlier  well done 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Similar in ways to the 2nd half against Columbia...came out and did very little thereafter. Did well to get to the semi's but feel we only got there as we had a very favourable draw. 1990 side still the better in my opinion.

+ Pickford, Maguire, Trippier  - Ali, Sterling's end product and Kane in the knock-outs.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I'm washing my hair  that day 

I'm bald and my head & shoulders will get a run out!

Well currently England are under 17 world champions  under 19 European champions under 20 world champions under 21 semi finalist  and senior semi finalist   not bad really 

53 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Got to say it does seem the story of the tornement decent first half but woeful 2nd really and deserved to go out in the end. 

I'm not particularly buying into this semis final hype either, England had the easiest route to get there in many of a year and you can't exactly say any performance by England during this tornement apart from the first half's against Panama and Tunisia were exactly wow factor.

Lack of creativity remains a huge concern really. 

I said this the other day and got shouted down for it. 

Once again we meet a half decent team and lose. Modric and Rakitic pulling the strings for their midfield against ours was inevitable. 

I’m more gutted now than after that 1990 trauma . Some members are probably too young to remember that!

Putting tonight’s disappointment aside it’s been a great WC in terms of the amount of good games , lots of goals . Russia have been very good hosts . To be honest I’m totally underwhelmed by the thought of Qatar in 2022 , played in winter without any history of football , that WC is likely to be a soulless affair.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I’m more gutted now than after that 1990 trauma . Some members are probably too young to remember that!

Putting tonight’s disappointment aside it’s been a great WC in terms of the amount of good games , lots of goals . Russia have been very good hosts . To be honest I’m totally underwhelmed by the thought of Qatar in 2022 , played in winter without any history of football , that WC is likely to be a soulless affair.

No Nick  that 1990 rocked me to the core  we had a great side then  and we really should have won    this year probably had the lowest expectations ever   so for me I'm not that disappointed   it's gave me loads of great memories 

• Like 1

Like i and many others said, they basically played nobody until the semis and lost against the first good team they played.IMO if you compare the 2 starting elevens England are actually slightly better than Croatia so i wouldn't exactly say it's been a big achievement coming through an average group and beating 2 average teams in the knock out rounds only to lose to something like the 10th best international side.

Just now, weirpig said:

No Nick  that 1990 rocked me to the core  we had a great side then  and we really should have won    this year probably had the lowest expectations ever   so for me I'm not that disappointed   it's gave me loads of great memories 

I think the difference Weir , I expected England to win this game it was a wonderful opportunity. 

Perhaps my expectations ran too far ahead .