Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

World Cup 2018

I feel anyone on here thinks England is just an average team they must have had their heads in the sandpit for the last 10 years .

Just now, parrotingfantasist said:

Ah the traditional argument, "You know nothing about football." Show me then! 🤪

I don't have to....the facts will speak for themselves. The envy your showing is obvious,understandable but obvious.🤣

England have an outstanding chance to get in the final, more so than in 1990 and since the knock out stages, Croatia has really struggled.

4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

England have an outstanding chance to get in the final, more so than in 1990 and since the knock out stages, Croatia has really struggled.

Yep let's get back to actual football than bitterness and jealousy!

The fact that Croatia have had two bouts of extra time in consecutive games must surely give us some sort of edge?

Just now, Nick L said:

Yep let's get back to actual football than bitterness and jealousy!

The fact that Croatia have had two bouts of extra time in consecutive games must surely give us some sort of edge?

They looked well and truly cream crackered at the end of the quarter-final

32 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I feel anyone on here thinks England is just an average team they must have had their heads in the sandpit for the last 10 years .

They're better than average, on paper they're probably about the 5/6th best European nation which was my whole point about people suggesting they've had a hard run, all they've done so far is beat teams that they should be beating.

Oh course England are going to win the World Cup,,,they've 2 Sheffield lads and a Barnsley lad playing for them. Proper men!😉

23 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

They're better than average, on paper they're probably about the 5/6th best European nation which was my whole point about people suggesting they've had a hard run, all they've done so far is beat teams that they should be beating.

Now  that I can agree with   I really hope if we win Tuesday we don' get France  however I'm very happy they have given me some good memories  and our best performance since 1990  also it' s filled the gap till wolves start their title bit 

16 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Now  that I can agree with   I really hope if we win Tuesday we don' get France  however I'm very happy they have given me some good memories  and our best performance since 1990  also it' s filled the gap till wolves start their title bit 

We won't win Tuesday,i can say that for certain,actually i would bet my house on it............

We play Wednesday:smile:

Edited by markyo

42 minutes ago, weirpig said:

To be honest i think Belgium would be a harder final.France rely heavily on Mbappe, Belgium have more attacking options plus nearly all of their players are used to playing with or against English players.

27 minutes ago, markyo said:

We won't win Tuesday,i can say that for certain,actually i would bet my house on it............

We play Wednesday:smile:

School boy error  :)

Just now, Ross90 said:

To be honest i think Belgium would be a harder final.France rely heavily on Mbappe, Belgium have more attacking options plus nearly all of their players are used to playing with or against English players.

I just think we could cope better with a old fashioned toward rather than a tricky fleet footed player 

2 minutes ago, balmaha said:

The average team rankings that germany( who were ranked similar to england are now) played against were higher than what england have played on average. Saudi arabia , who germany humped 8 nil in the group stages , were ranked 20 places higher , HIGHER , than what the similar whipping boys in your group panama were ranked. I dont think that was easier than yours.....but i take your point weiry.

So what you are saying weiry is that crap teams that get far in international football tournaments with easy routes normally get what they deserve in the end 😉?

Lol yes  but history tells us there must always be a first  a final would be brilliant win or lose I'm over the moon 

If England win the world cup they will be holders for ages as nobody will get past the group stage of the next world cup due to heat exhaustion😜

Just now, lassie23 said:

If England win the world cup they will be holders for ages as nobody will get past the group stage of the next world cup due to heat exhaustion😜

Just don't mention the Faeroe Islands!🤣

the Following is based on the Current World rankings

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/caf.html

image.thumb.png.467eba89d5efffc000d90896ccd02c45.png

Looking at the World Cup, there are 32 teams.

With the actual breakdown as

Europe 14
South America 5
Asia 5
Africa 5
CONCACAF 4 (Central and North America)

If it was solely done on World rankings it would be.

Europe 20
South America 7
CONCACAF 3
Africa 2
Asia 0

So IMO the quality would be better on World Rankings, but then would it truly be a World Cup. Probably not.

2 minutes ago, J10 said:

the Following is based on the Current World rankings

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/caf.html

image.thumb.png.467eba89d5efffc000d90896ccd02c45.png

Looking at the World Cup, there are 32 teams.

With the actual breakdown as

Europe 14
South America 5
Asia 5
Africa 5
CONCACAF 4 (Central and North America)

If it was solely done on World rankings it would be.

Europe 20
South America 7
CONCACAF 3
Africa 2
Asia 0

So IMO the quality would be better on World Rankings, but then would it truly be a World Cup. Probably not.

But the problem with the rankings is that they're easily manipulated and generally nonsense.

Based on their way to the Semi Final

England beat Tunisia (Ranked 21)
England thrashed Panama (Ranked 55)
England Reserves lost to Belgium Reserves (Ranked 3)
England beat Colombia (Ranked 16)
England beat Sweden (Ranked 24)

So while the draw has been kind to England, all the sides they have beaten are in the Top 25 in the World (with the exception of Panama) no mugs there.

20 minutes ago, Nick L said:

But the problem with the rankings is that they're easily manipulated and generally nonsense.

Re easily manipulated - Yes to an extent

Generally nonsense - I think they are fairly indicative, without being a complete representation.

10 hours ago, weirpig said:

I wouldnt.  I would hope they got knocked out as soon as possible.  i can understand the Scots/Welsh not wanting us to achieve anything.  but many are getting a little twitchy   going from you wont win the world cup in a million years to  oh if you win it  it wont mean anything because you avoided the best teams.     im loving it.

Wales could with a bit of luck have Won Euro 2016. If Ramsey wasn't suspended for the semi, we might have beaten Portugal.

Normally when the World Cup comes around, Welsh fans think, if only we could qualify.

This time we are thinking if we had qualified* (and Bale was injured for most of Qualifying) we would have been seeded in the first pot), and from there we might have done quite well. 

*due to our World Ranking (if we beat Republic of Ireland would have been ranked 8th)

Edited by J10

Just looking at the rankings  Scotland seem to be gaining ground on the vastly improving Congo    however Burkina faso   are also within touching distance 

Edited by weirpig

5 hours ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Nobody is panicking about England winning the World Cup.. A statistics guy on the Daily Politics a few days ago said the total chance of England winning the world cup is 12%. 

The only thing coming home at the moment is the repair bill https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44763415

To be fair that 12% was before the World Cup. now it is 25%.🤣

3 hours ago, weirpig said:

School boy error  :)

Detention for you Wednesday. 😂

A country gets to a World Cup semi-final - great achievement.

I'm struggling to write any thing else.

I'll leave it there........for now!

i dont know how to feel if England get to the final...i have been watching England in tournaments for 38 years and its a tale of woes as follows:

Euro 80 Have a perfectly good goal ruled out against Belgium in a 1-1 draw...hit the post twice before losing 1-0 to Italy and out

World Cup 82..hit the woodwork in a 0-0 draw with West Germany then missing a couple of sitters in a game needed to win with Spain 0-0 and out

World Cup 86 ..hand of god and Lineker misses a sitter in injury time lose the Q/F 2-1 to Argentina and out

Euro 88 in must win game against Holland hit the woodwork twice at 0-0 and another at 1-1 eventually lose 3-1 and out

World Cup 90 ..massive deflected goal against West Germany in the semi final ...Lineker equalises..Waddle hits the inside of the post in extra time...lse on penalties and out.

Euro 96....Hit the post in extra time against Germany and had Gascoigne been an inch taller that cross would have been poked home...lose on penalties and out 

World Cup 98..Beckham sent off against Argentina..battle on for a 2-2 draw...perfectly good goal disallowed ...lose on pens and out

Euro 2004...2-2 Q/F with Portugal in extra time another perfectly good goal disallowed...lose on pens and out

World Cup 06...Rooney sent of by Ronaldo..team battles on with 10 men through extra time...lose on pens and out

World Cup 2010..2-1 down against Germany perfectly good goal not given to bring it back to 2-2...eventually loose 4-1 and out

i dont know what i would do if we get the rub of the green and win the god damn thing.