Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Summer Sun

World Cup 2018

1 hour ago, markyo said:

Every bit,your missing the point of the competition.

The point of a competition , especially at the finals , is having the best teams competing , hopefully producing fantastic and entertaining football in the process , with teams able to compete with each other and as closely matched as they can be , eventually to produce a worthy winner.

Look at past world cups,look at results,there is no such thing as a easy deal done match,anything can happen

well aye  i have  , and germany faced the likes of the yanks  , portugal and ghana in the group stages , then algeria france brazil and argentina on route to winning the world cup in 2014.

Or what about the spanish in 2010 , they faced chile switzerland and honduras in the group stages , then went on to beat portugal , paraguay germany then holland on route to winning it.

Contrast that with england who have played tunisia , panama and belgium in the group stage , then colombia sweden and croatia then either france or belgium in the final.

in 2014 , germany were ranked second , and played three out of the other four top five ranked in the world on route to winning it.

in 2010 , spain were ranked 10th , and played four teams on route to winning it who were all ranked higher than them at the time , chile switzerland portugal and germany.

Contrast that with england who have so far played one team ranked higher than them in a meaningless b team training match in the group stage and will only play another if they get to the final.

I note  the way many vocal like yourself in saying England have had it easy are Scottish or Irish. Now that says a lot.

Many of us have congratulated the english and i have even said yer name is on the cup , what more do you want?

Now that says a lot.

What does it say markyo , does it force you to come to terms that your beloved "UK" isnt a country , but a multi national state made up of different people with their own national identity and fierce rivalry in sporting terms like football?

When you have a national team in a major competition i'll take notice of what you say,until then,not a chance.

So you wouldnt take any notice of what a scotsman like alex ferguson , one of the most decorated managers in scottish english and european football had to say , who dominated english football with his team over the best part of the last twenty years despite scotland not qualifying  for a major football tournament in that time?

We are all entitled to our opinions markyo , some folk talk sense  , some nonsense.

The facts are there markyo , you are in a world cup semi final without playing a higher ranked team and personally i blame the corrupt fifa for the shambles of a competition layout and as i have repeatedly said the extreme poor quality of teams allowed in this competition.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, balmaha said:

..Snip...

Contrast that with england who have so far played one team ranked higher than them in a meaningless b team training match in the group stage and will only play another if they get to the final.

It's true but also a little misleading, since the big names and higher ranked countries haven't played well and therefore didn't get through. Croatia, for example, topped their group which included Argentina and beat them 3-0. Historically, Argentina are the better side, but in this world-cup they weren't and were then beaten by France in the next round anyway. Germany were bottom of their group, who won it? Sweden. Same thing applies, Germany have the history, ranking etc, but in this world-cup, for whatever reason they were poor and went out.  

1. You can only beat the teams you face. 

2. Just because a team is a 'big name' it doesn't matter when it comes to tournament football, it's about form in that moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's true but also a little misleading, since the big names and higher ranked countries haven't played well and therefore didn't get through.

That been true of every tournament i can remember , with stats pointing out the last 4 or five previous world cup winners havent got out the group stage of the following tournament. The new world cup winners still went on and played many of the top ranked teams on route to winning the new tournament though.

Croatia, for example, topped their group which included Argentina and beat them 3-0. Historically, Argentina are the better side, but in this world-cup they weren't and were then beaten by France in the next round anyway. Germany were bottom of their group, who won it? Sweden. Same thing applies, Germany have the history, ranking etc, but in this world-cup, for whatever reason they were poor and went out.

Paul the hard fact is England unlike any other team i can remember at the world cup , havent played a meaningfull match against a team in the top 15 fifa rankings and they are in the semi final of the world cup , including their semi final opponents.

When has that happened before in modern world cup football?

1. You can only beat the teams you face. 

i agree see my earlier posts.

I also said i blame fifa for the tournament layout and poor quality of the teams involved using italy as an example , who didnt qualify from the tough euro qualifiers but are ranked higher than all but one of the thirteen teams from africa asia and central america.

Finally many of us non english are simply urging caution , and restraining the over reaction to your team of so called world beaters in case you do get spanked when you eventually face a quality team.

I said i already agreed with toms earlier post with similar thoughts that he would be the first to congratulate the english if they do win it and beat a quality team in the final despite similar reservations of the quality of teams faced so far.

2. Just because a team is a 'big name' it doesn't matter when it comes to tournament football, it's about form in that moment. 

Which is why i use fifas very own rankings which rely on form gaining points rather than a big name as you put it , and england havent faced any of the top fifteen teams in the world in a serious game at this tournament.

Edited by balmaha
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, balmaha said:

Which is why i use fifas very own rankings which rely on form gaining points rather than a big name as you put it , and england havent faced any of the top fifteen teams in the world in a serious game at this tournament.

But what is the point you're trying to make? 

Is is an attempt to devalue the fact England have made it to the semi-final? If so, that sounds a bit bitter to me - tournament football is tournament football, you play the games you're drawn to play, it's as simple as that.

If it's not that, then please explain what it is you're trying (so hard) to tell everyone?

Tis odd really, I know football is tribal, but I certainly supported Wales in the Euro champs when they got to the semi, and would in fact support Scotland / NI or EIRE ahead of other teams should ever they do similar.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, balmaha said:

Paul the hard fact is England unlike any other team i can remember at the world cup , havent played a meaningfull match against a team in the top 15 fifa rankings and they are in the semi final of the world cup , including their semi final opponents.

When has that happened before in modern world cup football?

Germany 2002  played in the group games   Ireland Cameroon  Saudi Arabia  qualifying with 7 points  then they played  Paraguay  1-0  then USA  1-0  then  South Korea 1-0  then the final against  Brazil  but lost 2-0    think that was a easier route then ours now.   

Also in 2002 Turkey got to the semi finals  apart from there first group game they didnt play anyone in the top 50 in the world  before they got knocked out against Brazil

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 4

Some of the negative posts in here towards the England team really do beggar belief. 

• Like 7

And 2010  Uruguary     Played only France  who finished bottom of the group  then played nobody  inside top 16  before reaching semi final    there are loads more examples   not quite sure what the issue is really

• Like 5

1 hour ago, balmaha said:

What does it say markyo , does it force you to come to terms that your beloved "UK" isnt a country , but a multi national state made up of different people with their own national identity and fierce rivalry in sporting terms like football?

If the roles were reversed the coverage and support from across the UK would be the same for a Scottish team as it was in 78. I for one would be screaming on any UK national team in any competition. Not sure what kind of point your trying to prove.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, markyo said:

If the roles were reversed the coverage and support from across the UK would be the same for a Scottish team as it was in 78. I for one would be screaming on any UK national team in any competition. Not sure what kind of point your trying to prove.

I wouldnt.  I would hope they got knocked out as soon as possible.  i can understand the Scots/Welsh not wanting us to achieve anything.  but many are getting a little twitchy   going from you wont win the world cup in a million years to  oh if you win it  it wont mean anything because you avoided the best teams.     im loving it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, markyo said:

Although I find it hard to be sure, I think that England were actually in the 1978 World Cup Finals, though my memories are all about Scotland (I recall Archie Gemill's fantastic goal as though it were only yesterday!).

And as for the 1974 finals - we were all 'Scottish' - England didn't even get there!

IMO, anti-Englishness and anti-Scottishness make fine bedfellows: they are both as bad as each other?🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿:good:

Edited by Ed Stone

1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Although I find it hard to be sure, I think that England were actually in the 1978 World Cup Finals, though my memories are all about Scotland (I recall Archie Gemill's fantastic goal as though it were only yesterday!).

And as the the 1974 finals - we were all 'Scottish' - England didn't even get there!

IMO, anti-Englishness and anti-Scottishness make fine bedfellows: they are both as bad as each other?🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿:good:

Wasnt that the tournament  That many inside Scotland thought they would win?.  Didnt they have a open top bus parade before they left?. Also didnt the royal mail have stamps printed congratulating them on winning the world cup  weeks before the opening game    yes i remember  they didnt get out of the group drew 1-1 with Iran. .   I thought only the English did arrogance.

18 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

And as for the 1974 finals - we were all 'Scottish' - England didn't even get there!

I even bought the single!!

• Like 1

I tell you what. Those who find it a hollow achievement, don't bother watching on Wednesday. Misers!

• Like 4

I don't think anyone is suggesting it would be a hollow achievement if they win it. I'm certainly not but i would agree that it has been a fairly easy run to the semis or final and so far they have achieved absolutely nothing other than beating a couple of fairly average sides.The first time they'll play a top team is in the final and my prediction would be that's where reality will set in and they'll lose probably in a similar fashion to how Liverpool lost the champs league final. If they win then fair play they've had a fantastic tournament but if they lose the final then i would say that's about what should have been expected given the quality of teams they played up until that point.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ross90 said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting it would be a hollow achievement if they win it. I'm certainly not but i would agree that it has been a fairly easy run to the semis or final and so far they have achieved absolutely nothing other than beating a couple of fairly average sides.The first time they'll play a top team is in the final and my prediction would be that's where reality will set in and they'll lose probably in a similar fashion to how Liverpool lost the champs league final. If they win then fair play they've had a fantastic tournament but if they lose the final then i would say that's about what should have been expected given the quality of teams they played up until that point.

Someone a couple of days ago literally said word for word it would be a hollow achievement if we won it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Someone a couple of days ago literally said word for word it would be a hollow achievement if we won it.

It might even have been cheese...and he's (as they sing about Harry Kane) one of our own?:yahoo:

8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I think it was Crew.  Mind you he does live close to Liverpool.  Im just loving the total panic from some people.  for whats its worth i think we can beet Croatia. I just hope we play Belgium in the final.  I think we will cope better with Lukaku  then Mbappe  

38 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I think it was Crew.  Mind you he does live close to Liverpool.  Im just loving the total panic from some people.  for whats its worth i think we can beet Croatia. I just hope we play Belgium in the final.  I think we will cope better with Lukaku  then Mbappe  

Nobody is panicking about England winning the World Cup.. A statistics guy on the Daily Politics a few days ago said the total chance of England winning the world cup is 12%. 

The only thing coming home at the moment is the repair bill https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44763415

5 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Nobody is panicking about England winning the World Cup.. A statistics guy on the Daily Politics a few days ago said the total chance of England winning the world cup is 12%. 

The only thing coming home at the moment is the repair bill https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44763415

Oh but you are.  The panic is setting in across the other nations.  you can feel it       and   im loving it.    ps  a statistics guy??.  Lol  its football.  you really are looking for any consolation   

Edited by weirpig

3 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Oh but you are.  The panic is setting in across the other nations.  you can feel it       and   im loving it.    ps  a statistics guy??.  Lol  its football.  you really are looking for any consolation   

Why would I panic? England is a painfully average team that failed against Belgium and struggled against Columbia. Even if they get past Modric'n Co there isn't a hope in hell that they beat either France or Belgium. Just being realistic.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I think that, on balance, I'd make England marginal favourites to beat Croatia, and similarly Belgium to beat France...so, out of those four permutations, that'd make an England-Belgium final the slightly more probable outcome?

IMO, predicting future football matches is about as fruitful as long-range weather forecasting...NOT VERY!

1 minute ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Why would I panic? England is a painfully average team that failed against Belgium and struggled against Columbia. Even if they get past Modric'n Co there isn't a hope in hell that they beat either France or Belgium. Just being realistic.

Oh boy,your lack of footballing knowledge is shall we say showing its self....and that's being polite!!

Just now, parrotingfantasist said:

Lol   I can get you some Fluxotine if you want.    

1 minute ago, markyo said:

Oh boy,your lack of footballing knowledge is shall we say showing its self....and that's being polite!!

Ah the traditional argument, "You know nothing about football." Show me then! 🤪

Edited by parrotingfantasist

Just now, parrotingfantasist said:

Ah the traditional argument, "You know nothing about football." Show me then! 🤪

You a Liverpool fan aswell?.