Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Summer Sun

World Cup 2018

2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

I guess people don't like itv much, i thought more would have been watching,

For a hot Saturday afternoon at 3pm the number watching was superb we've got to remember how many were at pubs, fan zones and other locations more would be working as well over 3 million watched via the iPlayer 

3 hours ago, lassie23 said:

I guess people don't like itv much, i thought more would have been watching,

It was on the BBC.

11 minutes ago, J10 said:

It was on the BBC.

lol i meant bbc, sorry

43 minutes ago, markyo said:

And what exactly is wrong with that? What the England team have achieved is remarkable,one of the youngest teams,led by one of the youngest mangers,led by one of the youngest captains have reached the semi final. Yet folk like you just find a way to try and find a way of diminishing their achievement. What are you lot looking for? Just any excuse to moan? We should be celebrating,not saying how easy they've had it,which they haven't if you had the slightest knowledge of football would tell you.

So sad. 

With any luck England will be knocked out next week and then we can finally have an end to this ridiculous fawning. Fingers crossed. 🤞

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheese said:

So sad.

What so showing a positive attitude ,a lot of folk I know have a very positive attitude about everything and not suprisingly healthy and wealthy for it ,by the way what do you reckon to dairylea slices ??

2 minutes ago, cheese said:

So sad.

So negative all the time...Cheer up.:D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cheese said:

So sad. 

With any luck England will be knocked out next week and then we can finally have an end to this ridiculous fawning. Fingers crossed. 🤞

Your a wind up merchant cheese.😂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

What so showing a positive attitude ,a lot of folk I know have a very positive attitude about everything and not suprisingly healthy and wealthy for it ,by the way what do you reckon to dairylea slices ??

Not proper cheese. 

3 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

I do agree with a lot of the comments above but it is true, you can only beat what's in front of you and England have, so far.

Can't believe that my "own" team Italy failed to make the Tournament, after being beaten by Sweden. Sorry but Sweden looked a very average side, yesterday. I remember when Sweden had a half decent side, with the likes of Henrik Larsson, a very "rotund" Thomas Brolin (Remember him) and Arsenal's, Freddie Ljungberg (He was very useful!!). I also remember the very decent Croatian side, of the nineties, the likes of Robert Jarni (left wingback), prolific goalscorer Davor Suker (also ex-Arsenal) and of course, Slaven Bilic.

Italy are needing to rebuild now but have faced a similar problem to England, too many "B List" foreigners and foreign youngsters, cluttering up their Acadamies and preventing home-grown youngsters, from progressing!!

If England are to go all the way, it's pretty obvious, they face a much sterner test than they've had so far!! Croatia are a half-decent side( esp., Modric) and then Belgium or France, imo the two best teams left in the Tournament.

I've seen a few World Cups, I'm sixty-two now, so think I can make a reasonable judgement on the overall quality, seen and IMHO, it's been pretty poor, overall. The "big" footballing nations not "turning up".

Don't think you can glean anything from the Belgium/England group game. Neither side were "at the races" and weren't overly concerned, with the result. If England do go on to "lift the cup", then I will give them the praise, I think they'll deserve, in that eventuality.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Good post tom.

After my team Scotland , and my second team Ireland failed to qualify , i was saddened to see the italians fail too. Always had a soft spot for italy , growing up in paisley/glasgow among many scottish italians and one of my childhood mates is still to this day a juventus fan.

Serie A was the main league outside of scottish football many of us took an interest in , long before most of us had heard of many of the english teams.

I think henrik larsson might have fancied his chances against the walking disaster that is kyle walker the other day for sweden against england in his heyday , but sadly the swedes just werent good enough.I thought they were pretty tame to be honest.

I think the english will beat croatia , you never know if the croats are going to turn up.

Your final paragraph is spot on .

best wishes.

• Like 1

Regardless of the result on Wednesday, when England do return home (which won't be next week anyway, whatever happens) they can come home with their heads held high.

They've done more this year than the previous "golden generation" have ever done.

They've rejuvenated English football.  They have reconnected with English football fans and they played with maturity and determination.

You can see these lads are proud to wear the England shirt.

They still have things to learn, improvements to be made but a lot of this will come from experience and preservation.

When England last got to the Semi Finals of a world cup, I was just a little kid.  I have no memories of 1990.  Since then, I haven't been too interested in England as a football team, due to the constant disappointment and immaturity.  I have always supported my country, just never too publicly.

But now I can honestly say I'm proud to be an England fan.  Whatever happens from here on in, they have done me & many other England fans proud.

I actually believe.............

IT COULD, JUST COULD, BE COMING HOME!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Can't wait to see those positive upbeat faces once that happens! 🤗

Given the way some people behaved yesterday, I just hope there are no riots! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheese said:

Given the way some people behaved yesterday, I just hope there are no riots! 

Dairylea triangles??

2 hours ago, markyo said:

And what exactly is wrong with that? What the England team have achieved is remarkable,one of the youngest teams,led by one of the youngest mangers,led by one of the youngest captains have reached the semi final. Yet folk like you just find a way to try and find a way of diminishing their achievement. What are you lot looking for? Just any excuse to moan? We should be celebrating,not saying how easy they've had it,which they haven't if you had the slightest knowledge of football would tell you.

Celebrating yes why not but they have absolutely had it easy and i'd suggest anyone who thinks it's been a hard run to the semis or even the final doesn't have much knowledge about football.

The Belgium game barely counts as they were both through and playing their second team so the other 4 teams... Tunisia were rubbish along with all the African nations, Panama were the worst team at the tournament and would struggle to compete in the English lower leagues.Columbia were the second worst south american side after Peru and they were missing their best player and Sweden were a very average side.You can say they beat Germany, Italy etc but that was more down to those side being poor than Sweden being good.Look through their squad and tell me one player who would even get on the England bench? Croatia is more of a 50/50 but once again they only have 2 players in Rakitic and Modric who would get in the England starting 11.England have been favourites to get through all 3 knock out rounds so far, if they hadn't gotten to the final it would've taken a poor result losing to a weaker side somewhere.

Fair enough you can only beat who's in front of you but they've had one of the easiest runs to the final that they'll ever get.The first top 10 team in the world that they'll have to play is Belgium or France.

• Like 3

Just now, Ross90 said:

Do you disagree with any of it?

I do agree with a lot of what you say ,but England has the strongest most athletic team for a generation,I believe we can do it .

• Like 1

They do, i was actually complimenting England in that they should be beating all those sides who they've played so far.I just don't get everyone trying to build their opposition up as though it's been a tough run to get to where they are.If Belgium had finished second in the group and had the same run everyone would be saying how they've had it easy and haven't played any top teams yet.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I do agree with a lot of what you say ,but England has the strongest most athletic team for a generation,I believe we can do it .

Rather Germanic it that respect Moki?

2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Rather Germanic it that respect Moki?

Jurgen Klinsmann seems to think so ,lol

6 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Jurgen Klinsmann seems to think so ,lol

lol, glad he reads my posts, was saying the same to wp  yesterday,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheese said:

So sad. 

Bloody hell, didn't think you could get any more miserable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Bloody hell, didn't think you could get any more miserable.

He's certainly not a mellow cheese 😂

• Like 2

I agree with everything Ross is saying.

It would have just made things oh so sweeter to have had the 'tough end' of the draw and got to where we are having faced the 'big boys' and dispatched of them along the way. 

Yes it can be argued that the main teams didn't turn up or were poor but that says more about them than it does about how England have arrived where they have in the competition. I just have this doubt that even if we were to win the cup, we'd be the butt of jibes for years from other countries who say we won it due to having an easy ride. Kinda takes the shine off it IMO.

Would we have beaten that Brazil team that Belgium did the other day? I don't think so personally.

Edited by CreweCold

If England get to the world cup final just enjoy it you miserable bar stewards it may never happen again in our life times..instead of moaning about how or why... i like to think i know a little bit about football having played in tier 6 which is now the conference south and also holding my FA and UEFA coaching badges..when it comes to cup football let alone world cup football there are no easy games...so all the teams in the semi finals are there on merit..and whoever wins the world cup..deserves it!

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Ross90 said:

Do you disagree with any of it?

Every bit,your missing the point of the competition. Look at past world cups,look at results,there is no such thing as a easy deal done match,anything can happen.History shows this. I note  the way many vocal like yourself in saying England have had it easy are Scottish or Irish. Now that says a lot.....When you have a national team in a major competition i'll take notice of what you say,until then,not a chance.