Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

World Cup 2018

No superstar players in the 4 semi final squads and IMO Belgium have the highest number of quality players. However what there is are 4 excellent 'teams' .

1 minute ago, Andy Bown said:

No superstar players in the 4 semi final squads and IMO Belgium have the highest number of quality players. However what there is are 4 excellent 'teams' .

MBappe, Griezmann, De Bruyne, Hazard, Modric, Rakatic, and Kane are all superstars I’d say, but it is subjective I suppose. They’ve certainly outperformed Messi and Neymar.

regarding England having the easier teams to beat so far;  three off the four teams in the semi finals run in has been are equal, having all faced one higher ranked team, Croatia slightly harder having faced two.

France 1 higher ranked team - Argentina

Belgium 1 higher ranked team - Brazil

Croatia - 2 high ranked teams - Argentina, Denmark

England  - 1 higher ranked team Belgium

Main difference I suppose is that England has not beaten a high ranked team so far.

Croatia has the hardest route to winning now - needing two beat two higher ranked teams (England then either France or Belgium).  Belgium has the easiest with France and then either England or Croatia ranked below them. 

Of course, at this stage of a tournament paper rankings mean very little and its all down to how the teams play on the day. 

4 hours ago, cheese said:

Well who can argue with your cutting-edge wit?

Maybe we can look at it another way - England winning the world cup now would be like ajpoolshark winning an intelligence test when his only opponents are brainless chickens.

Hey chicken, you've been pwned....give it up whilst you're still behind

Edited by ajpoolshark

10 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

Hey chicken, you've been pwned....give it up whilst you're still behind

Someone rush me to the burn unit. 🔥

Nice to see the Kiljoys are out to play tonite....and those who have no clue about football..just to add to the above...crappy Sweden also beat France during the qualifiers as well as Holland and Italy..you can only beat the teams in front of you..so as far as England are concerned you are dammed if you do and dammed if you dont!

7 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Nice to see the Kiljoys are out to play tonite....and those who have no clue about football..just to add to the above...crappy Sweden also beat France during the qualifiers as well as Holland and Italy..you can only beat the teams in front of you..so as far as England are concerned you are dammed if you do and dammed if you dont!

Damn straight. If you can't enjoy this then you need to find another interest. 

14 hours ago, cheese said:

He's got a fair point and I actually feel the same way - England have been lucky that they've only faced teams worse than they are. There hasn't been any real competition and we haven't really had to prove ourselves against better opponents. All the really big teams have gone and we now have an easy route to the finals. I think France would be our biggest challenge.

If England do win the world cup then it will mostly be down to the luck of facing rubbish opponents rather than anything else. It would be like Lewis Hamilton winning a grand prix only because everyone else crashed their cars.

That shows how little you understand about football,take a look at all the big teams knocked out....all by "worse teams". The England team have done us proud,no shackles,no poncey primadonna's,just young lads playing their hearts out. To call that lucky shows you haven't a scoobydoo what your on about,thankfully your in the tiny minority with your view. 

I've been lucky enough to be able to watch most of the games in this World Cup including most of the group games and whatever their reputations are, none of the superstar teams of past years were playing world class football, in my opinion. This includes Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain and Portugal.  With the exception of France, the usual favourites were all below their historic best and all have been eliminated accordingly.  England, on the other hand, have performed significantly better than in the past and are playing like a Premiership team who have been together for years, not a matter of a few weeks.  They deserve praise for this alone, whether or not they go on to play in the final.  Given their average age, and the potential for future development, English football should be able to enjoy more international success in the future and their FIFA ranking will undoubtably rise.  They have faced some capable teams and beaten them.  Be happy for them, don't knock it.  They may have their hardest challenge ahead, but that's the way of knockout competitions and to have got this far is something to celebrate.  

England v Sweden peaked with 19.64m at 16:45 a share of 87.7%

Edited by Summer Sun

Croatia v Russia peaked with 13.72million at 21:45 a share of 65.6% the biggest non-England peak so far

21 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

England v Sweden peaked with 19.64m at 16:45 a share of 87.7%

1 minute breakdowns show a peak of 19.86m at 16:51 a share of 88.8%.

Once you add in fan zones etc numbers will be well over 20 million

Well , two things have struck me about this world cup.

The first thing is how the poisonous whispers by western media and governments about Russia , violence racism etc encouraging many european fans not to travel in the earlier stages and being outnumbered by the south americans have proved to be nothing more than blatant propaganda and absolute nonsense.

Dont know about anyone else but from the reports and what i have seen , Russia looks an absolutely stunning country and the people seem lovely. I was expecting grim faced locals and dilapidated grey ex communist cities , and the exact opposite has been the case. Well done russia and its people , you have hosted a great world cup so far and russia is definetly somewhere now on my radar to visit.

As for the football , congratulations to the english. I agree with many of the earlier sentiments , you can only beat what is in front of you , and so far the english have done exactly that. I say though what i have said at the start of the tournament , i have never seen so many poor quality teams getting a safe passage into the group stages from poor quality footballing regions at the expense of the south american and europeans teams.

In my opinion the thirteen teams representing asia africa and central america is way too much and has had a detrimental effect in lowering the quality of the competition.Mexico and japan were the only two half decent sides out of the thirteen , with the five african teams barely able to win a game never mind qualify from the groups. Instead some quality european teams and to a lesser extent south american teams didnt qualify from the difficult qualifiers they face in their regions.

Why?In the champions league the smaller nations have to pre qualify for the group stages , you dont see the champions of san marino or andorra being allowed in to make up the numbers so that every area of europe is represented , so why is it different in the world cup? Italy should have played off against one of these teams for example instead of a fellow european side.

The football has been poor , there has been no outstanding teams nor individual players we have had in the past , and at times its been painfull to watch.Luck is with england certainly , through no fault of their own , they have stood at the edge of the ocean in the group stage and the sea has parted for them and walked through without getting their toes wet.

I will say no more in case i get accused of being a kill joy , but Englands name is on this trophy without a doubt.

Edited by balmaha

Wow, there is some seriously negative people on here, why don't you just enjoy the ride!!! It's as if those complaining on here are those who always complain in the model output thread in the winter during a snowy spell of weather...

Yes England have faced a few of the less fancied teams but look at how the other 'big' teams have fared...

Germany lost to Mexico and South Korea!

Spain drew against Morocco and Russia!

Portugal almost slipped up against Iran

Argentina got thrashed by Croatia

France scraped past Australia

Brazil only just beat Costa Rica

Belgium could have easily gone out to Japan

And yet England keep winning and some people keep emphasising how poor we are? Yes we lost to Belgium but that game involved nothing to play for. I think the quality of the football has been very good. Just look at the France V Argentina and Brazil v Belgium games.

For me this world cup has shown one thing: A group of hard working players who play for each other will beat a team built around a small number of world class players.

And the three nations with the best team spirit IMO have been Russia, England and Belgium and look at how far they all got.

I think getting to the final is a very realistic prospect and by that time the added motivation of winning the trophy could get even more out of the England players.

As far as the warm welcome everyone has got its nice to see but I think Putin would have emphasised it for political reasons so people question whether Russia are as bad as we are told they are. It doesn't change my perception of Putin as being a particularly dangerous and twisted man.

TV coverage for the semi-finals

Tuesday - France v Belgium - BBC 1 7pm

Wednesday - Croatia v England - ITV 7pm

The two losers from the semi-finals will play in the third place play-off on Saturday in St Petersburg at 3pm  - The TV channel will be announced later this week

Both BBC 1 and ITV will show the final

4 hours ago, markyo said:

That shows how little you understand about football,take a look at all the big teams knocked out....all by "worse teams". The England team have done us proud,no shackles,no poncey primadonna's,just young lads playing their hearts out. To call that lucky shows you haven't a scoobydoo what your on about,thankfully your in the tiny minority with your view. 

Yet if England had played any of those big teams you know for certain they'd have lost, because in reality England are not a good team. Just accept it and move on.

23 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yet if England had played any of those big teams you know for certain they'd have lost, because in reality England are not a good team. Just accept it and move on.

I bet you wish you'd done one of those accumulator things, Cheese...Assuming that you are as good at predicting the scores of real matches as you are at forecasting the results for imaginary ones, that is?🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿:good:

Epic match which I watched in Gib ,very tiered and hung over 😵,back to it Wednesday having a  bash ,it's coming ...

4 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

1 minute breakdowns show a peak of 19.86m at 16:51 a share of 88.8%.

Once you add in fan zones etc numbers will be well over 20 million

I guess people don't like itv much, i thought more would have been watching,

46 minutes ago, cheese said:

It's a real pity that England have lost all those games in your head. I'll keep watching the actual games.

53 minutes ago, cheese said:

I rest my case,you better stick to the weather,football is certainly not your strong point!🤣

44 minutes ago, markyo said:

I rest my case,you better stick to the weather,football is certainly not your strong point!🤣

And cheeses of the globe 🧀🧀🧀🧀

I do agree with a lot of the comments above but it is true, you can only beat what's in front of you and England have, so far.

Can't believe that my "own" team Italy failed to make the Tournament, after being beaten by Sweden. Sorry but Sweden looked a very average side, yesterday. I remember when Sweden had a half decent side, with the likes of Henrik Larsson, a very "rotund" Thomas Brolin (Remember him) and Arsenal's, Freddie Ljungberg (He was very useful!!). I also remember the very decent Croatian side, of the nineties, the likes of Robert Jarni (left wingback), prolific goalscorer Davor Suker (also ex-Arsenal) and of course, Slaven Bilic.

Italy are needing to rebuild now but have faced a similar problem to England, too many "B List" foreigners and foreign youngsters, cluttering up their Acadamies and preventing home-grown youngsters, from progressing!!

If England are to go all the way, it's pretty obvious, they face a much sterner test than they've had so far!! Croatia are a half-decent side( esp., Modric) and then Belgium or France, imo the two best teams left in the Tournament.

I've seen a few World Cups, I'm sixty-two now, so think I can make a reasonable judgement on the overall quality, seen and IMHO, it's been pretty poor, overall. The "big" footballing nations not "turning up".

Don't think you can glean anything from the Belgium/England group game. Neither side were "at the races" and weren't overly concerned, with the result. If England do go on to "lift the cup", then I will give them the praise, I think they'll deserve, in that eventuality.

Regards,

Tom. :hi: