Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Summer Sun

World Cup 2018

11 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Seems like some on here are suffering from lack of a whingng thread....otherwise known as UK Politics thread. To the gallows as you are plainly of no use to this great country going forward.

Just being honest, like. 😎

Edited by cheese

Is it the heat??

We are in the semi final for @@##  sake.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I'm struggling to get excited by England's progress to be honest. If we'd beaten the likes of Brazil, France etc it would be justified. Truth is we've played no-one truly elite and the one game we did (Belgium) we lost. 

If we do win this WC it'll be a hollow achievement IMO. 

Really ?  My word 

Come on peeps? I mean - we're in the semi-finals, for flock's sake...and the only time we've ever bettered that was in 1966...I know that - I watched it live!:yahoo:

Let's get real. If it was any other team we'd be saying how easy a route they'd had to the semis. Pretty undeniable really no matter what anyone says. We've had it as easy as we could have had it. 

We've been favourites in pretty much every game bar the Belgium match. 

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Let's get real. If it was any other team we'd be saying how easy a route they'd had to the semis. Pretty undeniable really no matter what anyone says. We've had it as easy as we could have had it. 

As you say, it's a hollow achievement. People are wetting their knickers with excitement because England usually suck, and they usually suck because they usually have to face teams that are actually good. Not this time though. Lucky us.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

I hope it' a Russia England  semi what a game that would be for different reasons   it would be a hollow victory though if we won as they are ranked below us in the fifa   rankings  

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I hope it' a Russia England  semi what a game that would be for different reasons   it would be a hollow victory though if we won as they are ranked below us in the for fifa   rankings  

Blimey Mark, from some folks' somewhat Smiths-like attitude, you'd think we'd got zero points in the group stage...? What do these moaning minnies expect us to do - play the semi-final as a best-of-five?:wallbash:

• Like 1

England into the final, russia and croatia are dire

11 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I hope it' a Russia England  semi what a game that would be for different reasons   it would be a hollow victory though if we won as they are ranked below us in the fifa   rankings  

Yeah, but Sweden. I mean, apart from knocking out Holland in the qualifiers,Italy in the playoffs and Germany in their group, what else have they done?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Jeez can you not just be happy that England have got through to the semi . The draw is what it is , sometimes you’re lucky and sometimes you get a tougher draw.

It’s not Englands fault some fancied teams imploded . Of course we’d like England to play some super stylish  football but if they get to the final they’ll have to beat a good team in either France or Belgium .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Come on peeps? I mean - we're in the semi-finals, for flock's sake...and the only time we've ever bettered that was in 1966...I know that - I watched it live!:yahoo:

Jeez, I knew there was some old folk on here, but..... :p Actually I'm well jealous of you having that memory but hopefully we can get a re-enactment this weekend. 

First semi-final we've reached in any major tournament that I can remember so I can say that :) 

Can't believe people who here can't get excited about this, must be the heatwave getting to the coldies amongst you. It's a semi-final, okay we've only beaten Panama, Tunisia, Colombia and Sweden and lost to Belgium, but you can only beat who's in front of you. And it's only two years ago we lost to Iceland and four years ago we drew with Costa Rica s - so our team are definitely improved. 

Croatia v Russia is going to extra time, which will help us by knackering them out a bit. Feels like a championship (as in the football league one) match as well, which should give a bit of confidence to England. 

Edited by Deep Snow please

20 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Yeah, but Sweden. I mean, apart from knocking out Holland in the qualifiers,Italy in the playoffs and Germany in their group, what else have they done?

It's official then - England are better than Germany. 😂

4 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Jeez, I knew there was some old folk on here, but..... :p Actually I'm well jealous of you having that memory but hopefully we can get a re-enactment this weekend. 

First semi-final we've reached in any major tournament that I can remember so I can say that :) 

Can't believe people who here can't get excited about this, must be the heatwave getting to the coldies amongst you. It's a semi-final, okay we've only beaten Panama, Tunisia, Colombia and Sweden and lost to Belgium, but you can only beat who's in front of you. And it's only two years ago we lost to Iceland and four years ago we drew with Costa Rica and lost to the United States - so our team are definitely improved. 

Croatia v Russia is going to extra time, which will help us by knackering them out a bit. Feels like a championship (as in the football league one) match as well, which should give a bit of confidence to England. 

1990 was brilliant we also had a easy run in then  into  the semis  didn' make that performance any less exciting though 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cheese said:

Eh? 🤔

It's laughable to call it hollow, because all the so-called "good" teams haven't been which is why the draw has fallen the way it has.  

Anyway, eff the misery mongers, I'm loving the ride.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cheese said:

You're not Scottish, are you Cheese?🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 minute ago, weirpig said:

1990 was brilliant we also had a easy run in then  into  the semis  didn' make that performance any less exciting though 

Indeed. We were desperately lucky against Cameroon, and unlucky vs Germany. I'll take the former every time.

42 minutes ago, cheese said:

As you say, it's a hollow achievement. People are wetting their knickers with excitement because England usually suck, and they usually suck because they usually have to face teams that are actually good. Not this time though. Lucky us.

The media is absolutely wetting their knickers mad. Constantly rattling on about it like they've won and are the best team in the world .. it is a hollow achievement but not to the likes of the BBC who decided to plaster it all over the website.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, parrotingfantasist said:

The media is absolutely wetting their knickers mad. Constantly rattling on about it like they've won and are the best team in the world .. it is a hollow achievement but not to the likes of the BBC who decided to plaster it all over the website.

It's not really a hollow achievement though is it. It last happened 28 years ago. It's a rare event as far as England teams are concerned. See above, it doesn't matter who the teams are you still have to beat them. And just a reminder that those teams had to beat some of the good teams to get here or teams who had beat them - that's why they weren't there.

9 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Totally agree,

This is what drives me mad, about the English media, England win a game and they're the best team in the world!! Lose a game and they're the worst team, in the world!! The sensible reality, being somewhere, in the middle.

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Can anyone give me one example, just one, of a media outlet claiming England are the best team in the world?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Totally agree,

This is what drives me mad, about the English media, England win a game and they're the best team in the world!! Lose a game and they're the worst team, in the world!! The sensible reality, being somewhere, in the middle.

Regards,

Tom.

It comes off as arrogant jingoism which just makes UK media unbearable to watch, especially on the day that they won.

Edited by parrotingfantasist
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

If you dont like it or are not that fussed about the WC and England why come into this thread at all? Just wondering?