Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Summer Sun

World Cup 2018

Dominant  England  it's coming home 

Well done, Englandshire. The better team won.

Congrats too, to the manager, who has aspired to build an inclusive team.

6 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

one for Gav and/or Kev.......when was the last time England scored double figure goals in a major international tournement finals if ever?

1966 for the world cup not sure about the Euro's

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Thanks 1

Harry Maguire another brilliant performance for England . 

That was a very stress free watch , I miss penalties ! Strange watching England without the need for beta blockers !

• Like 2

I dread to be working in bars and pubs across the country today with the football and hot weather bringing everybody out. Watched it for free here at home, sipping on some orange juice and watching the BBMF Lancaster flying past. 

4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

1966 for the world cup not sure about the Euro's

thanks...........An omen?

3 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

thanks...........An omen?

Possibly

Losing to Belgium was clearly our game plan when the route to the final became clear

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

I'm struggling to get excited by England's progress to be honest. If we'd beaten the likes of Brazil, France etc it would be justified. Truth is we've played no-one truly elite and the one game we did (Belgium) we lost. 

If we do win this WC it'll be a hollow achievement IMO. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

I'm struggling to get excited by England's progress to be honest. If we'd beaten the likes of Brazil, France etc it would be justified. Truth is we've played no-one truly elite and the one game we did (Belgium) we lost. 

We lost to Belgium so we could get an easier route to the final everyone could see that hence why so many players were rested

Just now, Summer Sun said:

We lost to Belgium so we could get an easier route to the final everyone could see that hence why so many players were rested

I don't believe that for one second. Belgium also rested most of their players. So by that logic they tried to lose too and still managed to beat us! 

• Like 1

And if any other 'top' team had sterling as an attacker, we'd be laughing ourselves to sleep! 

21 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Jesus wept...sorry but is that serious?

If you can't get excited at us making a semi final then wow.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Jesus wept...sorry but is that serious?

If you can't get excited at us making a semi final then wow.

He's got a fair point and I actually feel the same way - England have been lucky that they've only faced teams worse than they are. There hasn't been any real competition and we haven't really had to prove ourselves against better opponents. All the really big teams have gone and we now have an easy route to the finals. I think France would be our biggest challenge.

If England do win the world cup then it will mostly be down to the luck of facing rubbish opponents rather than anything else. It would be like Lewis Hamilton winning a grand prix only because everyone else crashed their cars.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Had a lot of luck with the draw both in the group and knockout stages, as we have beaten a load of dross like Sweden and Panama, so the true test will come in the final if England gets there, as France and Belgium are class. A bit worrying though, how England struggled against Belgium and Colombia.

34 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I can't see how winning the World Cup would be a hollow achievement given that if we win the semi-final we'll then have to beat either France or Belgium in the final.  Although if we get to the final and then get hammered by superior opposition then there will be more of a case for calling the passage to the final a hollow achievement.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

England may have had luck in the draw but it's still a very good achievement. In fairness England are not exactly the luckiest team when it comes to world cups - pen shoot outs , decisions going against them ,hard luck stories etc. Look who Germany played to get to the 2002 world cup final - Saudi Arabia, Ireland and Cameron at the group stage, Paraguay in the last 16, united states in the last 8 and South Korea in the semis.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sundog said:

England may have had luck in the draw but it's still a very good achievement. In fairness England are not exactly the luckiest team when it comes to world cups - pen shoot outs , decisions going against them ,hard luck stories etc. Look who Germany played to get to the 2002 world cup final - Saudi Arabia, Ireland and Cameron at the group stage, Paraguay in the last 16, united states in the last 8 and South Korea in the semis.

They do deserve some luck lol after all the past tragedies, hand of god, penalty misses, disallowed goals etc etc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

you're a mate........but in your post, you're a negative bugger....sorry bud!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, cheese said:

He's got a fair point and I actually feel the same way - England have been lucky that they've only faced teams worse than they are. There hasn't been any real competition and we haven't really had to prove ourselves against better opponents. All the really big teams have gone and we now have an easy route to the finals. I think France would be our biggest challenge.

If England do win the world cup then it will mostly be down to the luck of facing rubbish opponents rather than anything else. It would be like Lewis Hamilton winning a grand prix only because everyone else crashed their cars.

congrats Cheese.....after much deliberation, you've won the award for the 'daftest post of 2018' and believe me, having read the politics thread for the first half of the year until it was deservedly canned, you had some serious competition

• Like 1

Okay this world cup isn't exactly showing the level of football quality seen in many previous competitions but in the end we can only beat who we are faced with. The good news for me is that today was the best performance so far in this tournament which frankly is good as we may build momentum to win the semi and final matches potentially.

Good job today, Sterling just seems to freeze in front of the goal which is a shame as he seems to do everything else right.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

congrats Cheese.....after much deliberation, you've won the award for the 'daftest post of 2018' and believe me, having read the politics thread for the first half of the year until it was deservedly canned, you had some serious competition

Well who can argue with your cutting-edge wit?

Maybe we can look at it another way - England winning the world cup now would be like ajpoolshark winning an intelligence test when his only opponents are brainless chickens.

Edited by cheese

1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Absolute BS!!

Any nation that wins the World Cup deserves to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheese said:

Seems like some on here are suffering from lack of a whingng thread....otherwise known as UK Politics thread. To the gallows as you are plainly of no use to this great country going forward.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Seems like some on here are suffering from lack of a whingng thread....otherwise known as UK Politics thread. To the gallows as you are plainly of no use to this great country going forward.

Don't tell me, BB - if we win the World Cup it's all because of Brexit? Never mind the players on the field!🤣

Croatia and Russia are both very average