Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

World Cup 2018

36 minutes ago, balmaha said:

That bad England , the mighty team of world beaters , average wage 300k per week , struggled on to a draw wae us in qualifying.

At least theres the consolation of knowing you arent going to be put out the world cup by a team of part time icelandic dentists.

Anyway markyo what do you know about football?

You`ve never been to a decent game of football in your life. The last time yorkshire produced a half decent footballing team , the pope was still an altar boy and even  sevco managed to pump you home and away.😀

Yeah but who's actually at the World Cup?.....i suppose 20 years is a long time not to qualify for the biggest football event in the World,it can make one bitter i suppose!!🤣 As for Yorkshire football,how dare yo......ok i'll give you that one😉

oh and those dentists can be tricky little buggers at times...least we didn't loose to the girls! 😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36449202

Russia has put on a great world cup so far, best group stage I can remember for a long time. We all have fond memories of Italy 90, but apart from England going far, the quality was awful. USA 94 was the best world cup I can remember.

18 hours ago, Mapantz said:

BBC rated Alexander-Arnold man of the match.. did I miss something? Our previous matches have shown some superb set pieces which have led to goals. Tonight, they were all crap! And taken by the said man. I certainly wouldn't play him again.

Blame the fans, they are ones who voted him player of the match, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44650878

1978 was the best one I could remember. Scotland getting to big for their boots and being quickly put in their place although they did beat Holland in the last game which didn't matter. Having a dodgy goal keeper didn't help them.

As for Alex-Arnold the guy was a disaster couldn't take corners or free kicks perhaps those who voted were having a laugh or were totally blind.

8 hours ago, Lauren said:

I don't think Colombia will be as easy to beat as everyone thinks.

I don't they will be easy at all. However Japans pace would have caused our dodgy back four plenty of problems.

Some are getting carried away we are okay going forward but defensively all over the place. Worryingly the back up doesn't seem very good as they could have easily conceded five in a match which was basically a dead rubber which neither team really wanted to win.

TV schedule for the last 16

• Saturday 15:00: France v Argentina - BBC
  • Saturday 19:00: Uruguay v Portugal - ITV
  • Sunday 15:00: Spain v Russia - BBC
  • Sunday 19:00: Croatia v Denmark - ITV
  • Monday 15:00: Brazil v Mexico - ITV
  • Monday 19:00: Belgium v Japan - BBC
  • Tuesday 15:00: Sweden v Switzerland - BBC
  • Tuesday 19:00: England v Colombia - ITV

3 hours ago, markyo said:

Yeah but who's actually at the World Cup?.....i suppose 20 years is a long time not to qualify for the biggest football event in the World,it can make one bitter i suppose!!🤣 As for Yorkshire football,how dare yo......ok i'll give you that one😉

oh and those dentists can be tricky little buggers at times...least we didn't loose to the girls! 😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36449202

i know markyo but scotland s women lost to icelandic women , your men would lose to the icelandic women too!!

heres suggs , telling it better than i ever could how your an embarressment to the uk.........

"Keep away from our door!

dont come round here no more!"

Edited by balmaha

A timely reminder that on tuesday the national team and UK representatives will be playing world cup final's football on ITV....Viewers in Scotland, Wales & NI will have their own regional programs 

RemarkableSoreBalloonfish-max-1mb.gif.dc20e3b5439cfce534ab93f527c3e72d.gif

lol

4 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

A timely reminder that on tuesday the national team and UK representatives will be playing world cup final's football on ITV....Viewers in Scotland, Wales & NI will have their own regional programs 

RemarkableSoreBalloonfish-max-1mb.gif.dc20e3b5439cfce534ab93f527c3e72d.gif

lol

I think it's a choice aj: yet another chance to see the whole of the 1966 final, in colour - or a repeat of Scotland's 2-3 defeat by the Faeroe Islands!:rofl:

Anyone else got the jitters already? Going to be a long wait until Tuesday!

2 hours ago, The PIT said:

1978 was the best one I could remember. Scotland getting to big for their boots and being quickly put in their place although they did beat Holland in the last game which didn't matter. Having a dodgy goal keeper didn't help them.

As for Alex-Arnold the guy was a disaster couldn't take corners or free kicks perhaps those who voted were having a laugh or were totally blind.

The last game against Holland did matter because had Scotland won by a margin of 3 goals they would have gone through at Holland’s expense. They went 3-1 up with the famous Archie Gemmill goal, but then conceded and ended up winning 3-2. Holland were probably the best team in the world at the time.

It’s remembered the most though for Ally McCleod’s extraordinary hubris before the tournament. There was a documentary on about it the other week. He made literally no preparations for the opposition, so it was a shock to the players that Peru had an excellent team including the likes of Cubillas.

Glad we are not on the left side of the draw the road to Moscow looks far easier on the right

MTCWBLH57UYZ7IAQOG3BIJRJJU.thumb.jpg.df5f7c8cf2b8d6554a2233479a139427.jpg

1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Nope! We'll comfortably beat Colombia.

10 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Nope! We'll comfortably beat Colombia.

Again, echoes of 2016.

3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Again, echoes of 2016.

Not at all. Same people in this thread are/were the doom mongers in the now defunct politics thread.

England will beat Colombia by 2 clear goals. Sweden in quarters will be the test, as historically Sweden/England games are tight affairs and we're evens stevens win/lose/draw.

5 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Not at all. Same people in this thread are/were the doom mongers in the now defunct politics thread.

England will beat Colombia by 2 clear goals. Sweden in quarters will be the test, as historically Sweden/England games are tight affairs and we're evens stevens win/lose/draw.

It will be a draw after 90 then 120, then pens..............

I fancy Croatia, done little wrong, defended well and have put their chances away, think they will beat Denmark to book a place in the quarters.     

52 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

If you want to put your money where your mouth is, England are better than evens to beat Colombia. Double your money...

No need for the doom monger comment though. I think we will probably win, but the assumption we will just walk over them is foolish.

Edited by Nick L

10 hours ago, balmaha said:

i know markyo but scotland s women lost to icelandic women , your men would lose to the icelandic women too!!

heres suggs , telling it better than i ever could how your an embarressment to the uk.........

"Keep away from our door!

dont come round here no more!"

I thought that was sung by the Scottish crowd at every Scotland World Cup qualifying game!🤣

10 hours ago, Nick L said:

Nope after years of abject failure getting this far is a bonus.

9 hours ago, Yarmy said:

It’s remembered the most though for Ally McCleod’s extraordinary hubris before the tournament. There was a documentary on about it the other week. He made literally no preparations for the opposition, so it was a shock to the players that Peru had an excellent team including the likes of Cubillas.

Clear case of over confidence.

8 hours ago, Nick L said:

If you want to put your money where your mouth is, England are better than evens to beat Colombia. Double your money...

No need for the doom monger comment though. I think we will probably win, but the assumption we will just walk over them is foolish.

Well Nick i like a bet, for sure, and it is highly likely i will have a bet on the match.

10 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

It will be a draw after 90 then 120, then pens..............

OMG nooo! 

Still no news on Rodriguez if he’s going to play. 

I'm due to go over to Germany in August for a training course.....Must remember not to mention the Var!...Sorry even by my standards that was bad.🤤

Edited by markyo

4 minutes ago, markyo said:

I'm due to go over to Germany in August for a training course.....Must remember not to mention the Var!...Sorry even by my standards that was bad.🤤

Sometimes ze verst vuns are ze best!:oops: