Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

World Cup 2018

9 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Depends on how much marching powder they consume 😳

Well they do have Escobar on their side!❄️❄️

2 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Let's not get carried away eh?

As the bloke on ITV said, in WC knockout games since 1990 England have beaten Denmark and Ecuador. 

We played quite well against poor opposition in the group stage. If they beat Colombia it would be an exceptional result.

Not doom mongering. Just a fact.

Also facts...Our previous World Cup knockout games other than Denmark and Ecuador...Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina. Can you say that Colombia, Sweden and Switzerland are of that calibre?

Edited by Nick L

8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Also facts...Our previous World Cup knockout games other than Denmark and Ecuador...Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina. Can you say that Colombia, Sweden and Switzerland are of that calibre?

Agreed, but if it comes to it could we beat any of those 'lesser' teams on pens....Do need a new TV though.

Swiss and swedes will be tough for england

1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

Swiss and swedes will be tough for england

Swiss Rolls are easy, but turnips can be awkward...Bear in mind that I spent 20-years' north of the border, so underground delicacies are easy for me.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Swiss Rolls are easy, but turnips can be awkward...Bear in mind that I spent 20-years' north of the border, so underground delicacies are easy for me.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

That will be buckfast then ed 😂

18 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

If we get beat by Swedes that makes us turnips

As has just been said on the tv  when we qualified for the tournament  if someone said we have to win two games against Columbia and either Switzerland or Sweden  to mske it to the semis you would shout bank  this really could be our best tournsment since 90 

BBC rated Alexander-Arnold man of the match.. did I miss something? Our previous matches have shown some superb set pieces which have led to goals. Tonight, they were all crap! And taken by the said man. I certainly wouldn't play him again.

2 hours ago, Dougal said:

Let's not get carried away eh?

As the bloke on ITV said, in WC knockout games since 1990 England have beaten Denmark and Ecuador. 

We played quite well against poor opposition in the group stage. If they beat Colombia it would be an exceptional result.

Not doom mongering. Just a fact.

People do need to keep their feet on the ground, England have a young team, and although at times they have looked good, there are 2 unmistakable issues. We need Kane to score the goals, no one else really looks like adding a great deal to the score sheet. But the biggest problem is at the back, Panama could have scored 3-4 with just a handful of chances, tonight England were starting to get cut to pieces at the back in the last 20 minutes or so. The marking is no where near tight enough, if you give good players a yard in the box they generally score.

My mate is off to Russia to cover the tournament for the BBC, so I may get some interesting updates while he is out there.   

7 hours ago, Mapantz said:

BBC rated Alexander-Arnold man of the match.. did I miss something? Our previous matches have shown some superb set pieces which have led to goals. Tonight, they were all crap! And taken by the said man. I certainly wouldn't play him again.

I agree. Loftus-Road is the only one who pushed for a start against Colombia. 

I worry about Maguire's temperament. He looks like a double yellow in waiting especially against accomplished tumblers. 

I expect a tetchy, stop-start game. Kane will be heavily marked for sure, Sterling really needs to start justifying that tattoo.

10 hours ago, Nick L said:

No colombia sweden and switzerland are not obviously of the calibre of the teams you earlier mentioned , but then neither are England. Heres some more facts for you.

England have the worst international record of any of the major footballing nations in the world , with one world cup to your name and nothing else.

Your league , often reputed to be the best in the world , is dominated by foreign money , owners  , managers and players which is reflected in the relatively  poor  historical performance of your national team in various competitions.

So far you have played two pubs teams from central america and north africa , and a b team training match against the belgians , when even pundits like the respected martin o neil had to tell the english presenter to pipe down and be realistic after beating panama with a quirky story about his local boys team getting a pre season friendly against panama to get their confidence up.

I think from what i have seen colombia will give you a good game , and it will be an achievement for England to progress past them , and certainly sweden are a good team , with only a jammy but superbly hit german goal in the last minute beating them so far.

England look to have reasonably good strong fast players , and i particularly like Kane , who in ways reminds me of gary lineker , but technically England are way behind the level of some of the teams still in the competition , and your best players are light years away from the likes of messi ,ronaldo and de bruyne to name but a few.

Your manager certainly isnt on the same level as someone like auld bobby robson and none of the players could lace the boots of the likes of gascoigne at the height of his playing career , but if i was an England fan then things look achieveable in terms of progression from where you stand at the minute.

Methinks someone is feeling mighty envious this morning - not to mention any names...?🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

1 hour ago, balmaha said:

No colombia sweden and switzerland are not obviously of the calibre of the teams you earlier mentioned , but then neither are England. Heres some more facts for you.

England have the worst international record of any of the major footballing nations in the world , with one world cup to your name and nothing else.

Your league , often reputed to be the best in the world , is dominated by foreign money , owners  , managers and players which is reflected in the relatively  poor  historical performance of your national team in various competitions.

So far you have played two pubs teams from central america and north africa , and a b team training match against the belgians , when even pundits like the respected martin o neil had to tell the english presenter to pipe down and be realistic after beating panama with a quirky story about his local boys team getting a pre season friendly against panama to get their confidence up.

I think from what i have seen colombia will give you a good game , and it will be an achievement for England to progress past them , and certainly sweden are a good team , with only a jammy but superbly hit german goal in the last minute beating them so far.

England look to have reasonably good strong fast players , and i particularly like Kane , who in ways reminds me of gary lineker , but technically England are way behind the level of some of the teams still in the competition , and your best players are light years away from the likes of messi ,ronaldo and de bruyne to name but a few.

Your manager certainly isnt on the same level as someone like auld bobby robson and none of the players could lace the boots of the likes of gascoigne at the height of his playing career , but if i was an England fan then things look achieveable in terms of progression from where you stand at the minute.

MMM  I agree with quite alot of this post to be honest.  Our team without the rose tinted glasses is not the strongest.  However in Kane we have (imo) the best number 9 in the world  we also have a splattering of very good players  with the likes of Sterling. Ali/Linguard       Also we have players with experience of playing at the top table in European football (Henderson cl final)   add to the mix  the youth of the players   and the quality deadball delivery of Trippier  im very positive about our chances.   Argentina/Portugal   also seem to rely on 1 world class player  and i believe our team is stronger then both of those.  Colombia  shouldnt be a problem   with there star player prob out injured  and Falcao  still not recovering from his injury of a few years ago   i expect us to progress    My only downside is we dont seem to have a playmaker in Midfield.  Anyway   even with our obvious weaknesses   i still take solice from Denmark and Greece.   different tournament but the sentiment remains the same.

I don't think Colombia will be as easy to beat as everyone thinks.

1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Methinks someone is feeling mighty envious this morning - not to mention any names...?🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

I agree....at least England has a team good enough to be at the World Cup😂

cbs-printable-wc-bracket.jpg

When you see it like this  the left side of the draw is loaded

3 hours ago, weirpig said:

MMM  I agree with quite alot of this post to be honest.  Our team without the rose tinted glasses is not the strongest.  However in Kane we have (imo) the best number 9 in the world  we also have a splattering of very good players  with the likes of Sterling. Ali/Linguard       Also we have players with experience of playing at the top table in European football (Henderson cl final)   add to the mix  the youth of the players   and the quality deadball delivery of Trippier  im very positive about our chances.   Argentina/Portugal   also seem to rely on 1 world class player  and i believe our team is stronger then both of those.  Colombia  shouldnt be a problem   with there star player prob out injured  and Falcao  still not recovering from his injury of a few years ago   i expect us to progress    My only downside is we dont seem to have a playmaker in Midfield.  Anyway   even with our obvious weaknesses   i still take solice from Denmark and Greece.   different tournament but the sentiment remains the same.

Cheers weiry for taking my post in the spirit it was meant , where i was promoting caution and offering thoughts for those fans of deutschlands germanic little sister ready to get the towels on the world cup final sun loungers before they have kicked a ball in anger in the knockout stages , rather than dismissing it as the obligatory scottish envy and bitterness.

Merely posting a note of caution in the same manner as that other well known bitter scotsman , macdougall of the kentish clan in his earlier post.

I have been a football fan following my club and country , scotland and celtic  , for over three decades , and have seen the euphoric highs of world cups final group stages and european finals and the desperate lows , and anyone with any sense and knowledge of football can realise England havent had to play a game yet.

I state gain the shocking amount of poor quality teams allowed to participate in the group stages in these finals makes a mockery of the world cup where they are being allowed to participate merely for topping the regional pub team list in some corrupt fifa postive discrimination action rather than aiming for the top 32 teams in the world serving up quality football we are treated to the spectacle of England spanking a country whose economy was once based on drug trafficking and a team of saharan camel herders.

Not one african team qualified for the knockout stage out of a continent of a billion people and most of the teams  knocked out come from the poorer quality footballing world regions yet the likes of italy and holland couldnt qualify from the tough european qualifiers.

They should have been made to play off against these teams before allowing them there in the first place.

I mostly agree with your post and like dougalls earlier one seems level headed and realistic to me without the over exuberance of some of your fellow countrymen.You are spot on about not having a playmaker in your team , a more crude way of putting it would be to say you have many big strong fast running players but no good running around like headless chickens for ninety minutes without a footballing brain between them. Kane needs the ball to score , and sterling as was commented on by the likes of shearer spends more time passing the ball sideways and backwards than making penetrating passes forward.

I rate colombia  and i think it will be an achievement for england to beat them rather than a foregone conclusion. I think England will do well but the proof will be in their first competitive game at this world cup against someone on their level rather than the two pub teams and a meaningless training match they have had so far.

good luck weiry.

Edited by balmaha

3 hours ago, markyo said:

I agree....at least England has a team good enough to be at the World Cup😂

While the germans or brazilians , with twenty major footballing titles between them at world and regional level , look to be measuring their success against their major footballing contemporaries in winning titles at international level , its still gratifying to see the englishman measures his success against the barometer of how far the mighty scotland got in the world cup.

Edited by balmaha

1 hour ago, balmaha said:

While the germans or brazilians , with twenty major footballing titles between them at world and regional level , look to be measuring their success against their major footballing contemporaries in winning titles at international level , its still gratifying to see the englishman measures his success against the barometer of how far the mighty scotland got in the world cup.

Touche....Though it must be hard knowing your national team is SO bad🤣

2 hours ago, balmaha said:

The Scots learned a very important lesson in 1978: that, with all the hype and biased punditry in the world, a second-rate team is (even when it scores the greatest goal in WC history) unlikely to win the World Cup...

Us English, however have been deluding ourselves for years - a delusion which took humiliation at the hands of Iceland to dislodge!

So, in part, I also agree with much of what Balmaha posted: we really do, as a footballing nation, need to manage our expectations!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Edited by Ed Stone

16 hours ago, Mapantz said:

he was pretty poor which is unusual for a Liverpool player:wink:

1 hour ago, markyo said:

Touche....Though it must be hard knowing your national team is SO bad🤣

That bad England , the mighty team of world beaters , average wage 300k per week , struggled on to a draw wae us in qualifying.

At least theres the consolation of knowing you arent going to be put out the world cup by a team of part time icelandic dentists.

Anyway markyo what do you know about football?

You`ve never been to a decent game of football in your life. The last time yorkshire produced a half decent footballing team , the pope was still an altar boy and even  sevco managed to pump you home and away.😀

I've thoroughly enjoyed this World Cup so far. I was quite apathetic before the group stages with an uninspiring set of group fixtures in a bloated tournament without any stand-out teams of real quality in a country with dodgy human rights record and foreign policy led by corrupt politicians. And of course no Scotland, again. 

Instead the group stage turned out to be fantastic with largely intriguing matches including a few classics as well as some brilliant goals - and Russia turning out to be good hosts. VAR although not perfect is a welcome and necessary addition to the sport and has added some drama. The World Cup was always going to be more open without Italy and the Netherlands, but it seems in recent years that the quality of international football is more diluted than club football. Unlike club football where the biggest teams can spend the most cash to get the best quality, in international football you have to work with what you've got. It means that some of the top nations like Argentina are uneven in quality, while some of lesser nations have some star players and other decent players too. There's much less between the traditional powerhouses and the rest - France drawing with Luxembourg in qualifying proves that there are no easy games in international football. The decline of Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Argentina and the rise of smaller less fancied nations like Iceland means you can't take anything for granted and makes for a much more open and competitive tournament. This could make for a poorer tournament with no team with any aura or real quality grabbing the completion by the scrub of the neck but it makes things more exciting. While club football, especially the Champions League, may have more quality throughout teams it's much more predictable has become quite elitist. 

With such an open tournament who knows who'll win. Probably the strongest teams like Brazil, Spain, France will prevail. It seems to me that we could see a similar knock out stage to Euro 2016. Teams who've not won the World Cup in a long time, like England andUruguay, perhaps never won like Croatia and Portugal and maybe a completely unfancied team ,like Greece in Euro 2004, could win the World Cup. It's very strange to not see Germany reach the last 16 - it seems after years building a good team they peaked in 2014 and lost experienced players like Lahm, Schwienstiger, Klose and have become stale. In my opinion the tournament is better without a tame German side.

Looking at the Last 16, we have one very tough side of the draw and another much more open - like Euro 2016.

France v Argentina should be an interesting much and very 50-50. France have a very promising and talented squad who I thought might win the World Cup. It seems the manager isn't able to get the best out of the players. They lack cohesion and mental strength and have been unconvincing like they were in Euro 2016 and in qualifying. 

Argentina are a mess of a team. They are heavily reliant on Messi and are a very unbalanced side with a strong attack and weak defence. More alarmingly they not a team and play like a bunch of strangers. They were lucky to get out of the group but perhaps they could gain the momentum that got them to the final four years ago and perhaps Messi might have his finest moment for Argentina. I'm going for France, but given how erratic Argentina are how unconvincing the way this French team plays, I won't be surprised if Argentina go through.

Portugal v Uruguay another even and intriguing match. Like Argentina, Portugal heavily rely on Ronaldo, perhaps even more so than 2 years ago. They're an enigmatic team which makes them tricky to beat. They're capable of scoring goals and have a fairly compact defence. Uruguay are not too dissimilar. They've got a strong defence and have not conceded a goal and are a goal threat with top strikers aswell as being strong at set pieces. I fancy Uruguay to progress.

I'm not a fan of this Brazil side but they are the team to defeat. They're strong across the pitch and have been quite impressive - I think this could be their year. Mexico won't be easy as they are a very tenacious team with with experience but they tend to go no further than the last 16. Brazil to win.

Belgium appear to be much more convincing than in previous tournaments and have a very strong team with world class players like De Bruyne and Hazard playing at the top of their game. There'll be questions about whether they have the nous to go far but they certainly have the talent -.perhaps if they finished second they'd have a better chance of reaching the semis. Japan are tenacious and shouldn't be underestimated but I expect Belgium to win.

On the other side of the draw Spain are the most experienced and strongest team. At times they've been impressive though they are perhaps not as formidable as the 2008-12 team. They've still got players from that golden era and some talented younger players aswell. Like France in 2006, Italy at Euro 2012, sometimes a successful team who lost their mojo can come back with a final flourish but whether Spain can go all the way remains to be seen. Russia have exceeded expectations and have embraced the pressure of host nation though I don't think they'll go any further than this.

Denmark have improved since failing to qualify for Euro 2016. They are a solid team that relies on the excellent Eriksen. Croatia are real dark horses in this World Cup. They've been impressive, winning 3 out of 3 and have a very talented and experienced squad. They should reach the last 8 at least.

Switzerland v Sweden is a fascinating game. Neither team has a World Class player but collectively they are both very effective if unspectacular. Switzerland have only lost 1 in 20 while Sweden seemed to have improved as a team without Zlatan - knocking out Netherlands, Italy, Germany, beating France. In this quarter of the draw, they are the most recent nation to reach the semis in 1994. Very even game, Switzerland might edge it but don't underestimate the Swedes.

England v Colombia is a fascinating game. England last won a knock-out game in 2006 against South American opposition. Colombia thanks to Rodriguez in 2014 defeated Uruguay to reach the last 8 - he makes the team tick and his injury would be a massive boost for England. Colombia are one of the better teams in this side of the draw with some excellent players led by an experienced coach. They've been up and down in the group stage with a defeat in the first game, an excellent performance against Poland and continued the momentum by beating the unlucky Senegal. 

England have been pretty impressive, with a very strong spell against Tunisia and scoring a late goal- which has been a habit recently unlike previous years. Demolition of Panama was impressive and showed strength at set pieces and have a formidable forward in Kane. This team remind me a but of Germany in 2010 with a very young team impressing. Other than Kane there aren't a lot of outstanding players, but they have decent players like Henderson, Ali, Sterling and other talented  and reliable players. Not England's best World Cup squad on paper NE there's a lack of experienced and creative players aswell as questions about defence and goalkeeper - Panama could have scored more than 1 goal. Nevertheless after the debacle of 2014, 2016 and the sacking of Allardyce England seem a lot more settled and confident. Southgate appears to be both bold and pragmatic and being a former player probably helps in terms of managing squad and the pressures of a tournament. England seem prepared, with no delusions, playing to their strengths and minimising weaknesses, playing with cohesion and a good team spirit. In qualifying England at times were unimpressive and needed late goals but they seemed to have moved up a gear in this World Cup. England seem to have more luck for once, being in an easy group, playing the final group game, facing a team from another easy group in the last 16, and the quarter-final draw has really opened up without Germany or Brazil.

It's been 22 years since England last reached a Semi - it should be shaming that Wales are the only British side since then to reach a semi-final. 26 years since England came fourth in 1990 World Cup. England have the best chance in a long time to go far - with the way they've played and the potential route to the semis being favourable. Colombia will be tougher than Switzerland or Sweden. Like Belgium then Cameroon in 1990, If England beat Colombia then there's no reason to suggest why England can't reach the last 4. Euro 2016 was similar with Portugal beating one of the better teams, Croatia, in the last 16 in the easier side of the draw which included Hungary, Northern Ireland, Wales, Poland while the other side had Germany, France, Spain, Italy, England. I think resting players against Belgium was a good idea - not often you have that luxury and after a long club season it's good tongue better players a rest. Another factor which has helped England is the quality of coaching in the Premier League. The Scotland team recently has benefited a lot from Celtic players improving under Rodgers, likewise I think England players have benefited under Guardiola, Klopp, Mourinho, Pochettino. When Spain won in 2010, Mourinho and Guardiola were managing in La Liga and when Germany won in 2014, Guardiola and Klopp were managing in the Bundesliga. England certainly have an outstanding chance and there's a sense in Scotland that our neighbours might be World Champions. Most Scots won't begrudge England doing well just as many had respect for what the 1996 side achieved despite the rivalry. It should also be remembered that the last time England reached the semis in 1990, Rangers had more players than any other club in the squad, including the captain, and obviously Gascoigne was at Rangers in 1996. Though since Scotland has fallen away as a footballing nation in recent decades with the national team failing to qualify for 20 years, we tend to just enjoy watching  the tournament and back underdogs teams or teams who entertain or merit winning a tournament - which certainly hasn't been England in recent years - and despite what some might say south of the border, many don't feel obliged to join in the giddy, exuberant, jingoistic, delusional hysteria of following a bunch of overpaid, overrated athletes slog through the tournament haunted by the ghost of 1966, playing uninspiring football until being knocked out on penalties. There isn't any real malice except for a minority when Scots or even the Wales team two years ago don't shed a tear when England do well or badly. If England go far, or even win the World Cup, the media coverage and adulation doesn't bear thinking about though this time with obvious, stand-out team in the competition and with a more likeable England team and manager playing some decent football then I don't think English success will bother us as much despite medias best attempts. After being used to seeing England do poorly in the last 10 years, it'd be quite a unique and refreshing experience to see England do well for a change.