Summer Sun

World Cup 2018

7 minutes ago, weirpig said:

How are Brazil winning? 

They put in the net more times than Serbia have. 😁

Edited by The PIT

1 minute ago, weirpig said:

Yeah but poor at the back  let us at them 

Indeed wp, we would be in with more than a shout.

Group stage has got rid of lots of dross like Egypt, Panama, Costa Rica, GERMANY😂

Apparently Belgium are changing 10 players so clearly they want to lose tomorrow.

I’m in two minds about this , what if you rest players and then suffer a big loss .

Admittedly the bottom half of the draw doesn’t look that tough until perhaps a possible game against Spain but you just never know in these games .

Everyones assuming the top half games will go as expected .

Edited by nick sussex

19 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

I think we should throw the game tomorrow....

I don't and that's not the English way.

Keep winning would be my team talk and if its Brazil then great, they will  fear us for sure.

11 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I don't and that's not the English way.

Keep winning would be my team talk and if its Brazil then great, they will  fear us for 

Yep keep winning  rather lose than win the cup by playing tactics   for me it makes the world cup when we play the big sides any way   Columbia however look tasty  I'd rather avoid them 

Whether we win or lose today it is likely that we will have to play Spain and Brazil at some point in order to win the Cup.  If we can't beat them it really doesn't matter at what point in the competition we face them.  But if we believe we can beat Spain and Brazil then we shouldnt be worried about when we meet them.   If Belgium flunk it today and field a second best team then my view is that we should take full advantage and humiliate them if possible.  It would boost the players confidence even more and put any other teams we have to play on the defensive against us.  Wouldn't hurt to rest a couple of players today but I would like to see Dele Alli out there with Lingard......

Edited by Sky Full

......of course, if Begium lose today and then go on to win the Cup I will have to reconsider the above tactics.....  🙄

The common sense here would be for both teams to field full strength teams, walk on to the pitch and everybody switch ends to recognise the absurdity of the fact the team needs to lose. Whoever "wins" by scoring the most own goals would then go through to the top half of the draw, although I'm sure FIFA would take a dim view of that it's the most logical solution. So if Belgium scored 3 goals to Englands 2 then England would win 3-2 and have to play in the top half whereas if Belgium scored 3 own goals and England scored 4 then Belgium would win 4-3 and have to play in the top half of the draw. Spectators still get an entertaining game out of it, and it means teams don't have to hide the fact they're trying to lose. 

Edited by Deep Snow please

Keep winning. Talk of throwing the game is pure cowardice. 

Let's beat the Belgians well and strike fear into future opponents. 

10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Keep winning. Talk of throwing the game is pure cowardice. 

Let's beat the Belgians well and strike fear into future opponents. 

It's not cowardice, it's pragmatism. Belgium are clearly intending to throw the game going by the team they're indicating their fielding. How is beating a fourth rate Belgium side going to have any aid in the last 16. Are routes to the final could potentially be either

The choice is the opportunity to play Brazil in the Quarter Finals and one of France/Uruguay/Argentina/Portugal in the semis or

to play Sweden/Switzerland in the Quarter Finals and most likely Spain but with Croatia/Denmark/Russia as back up teams in the semi-finals. 

It's not our fault other results have made it much more advantageous for us to lose the game, and we should be ashamed for trying to do so. Gareth Southgate would never publicly say he's trying to lose a match but I really doubt he'll try and win tonight. 

Edited by Deep Snow please

Pure cowardice, sorry. If we can't beat anyone on our day and are scared to face top nations, we don't even deserve to think about winning the thing. 

1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Pure cowardice, sorry. If we can't beat anyone on our day and are scared to face top nations, we don't even deserve to think about winning the thing. 

We're not thinking about winning the thing or at least I'm not, just getting as far as possible which there is a much better chance of doing in the bottom half of the draw. Would you really rather see us hammered by Brazil in the quarter finals than possibly make it to the semi-finals?

17 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Aye. We should go out and do the best we can...And let the other teams employ chicanery so as to avoid playing us, if that's what they want to do.

The problem with throwing the game is what if you lose heavily and that dents confidence .

If it’s a draw and you then try and get a yellow card or cards to slip below Belgium what if you get sent off.

The differences in the draw appear only at the QF stage.

I’ve seen nothing from the other teams to suggest that there’s a huge favourite and that England should be trying to avoid certain teams .

Keep the positivity and momentum up and go for the win against Belgium.

I know others will disagree but that’s my take on things !

i dont want to win the world cup or get as far as possible by playing tactics    Win big or go home.     

If Belgium do play  weakened team we should field our best team and give them a good thrashing and punish them and also put a major stamp on our potential to go far in this tournament. To be honest this world cup could be won by anyone who has made it to the knockout stages as none of the big teams look overly convincing and some of the lower ranked teams are playing well.

In the Mood  Playing World in Motion   its the 90s and its Belgium     Come on England!!!

Imagine the feel good factor and optimism by topping the group with 3 wins? Winning breeds confidence. 

Remember how Iceland seemed an easy tie 2 years ago...

Spprox number of fans around the stadium is around 5000    expected 8000 at the game according to some reports.   which compared to the first game of under 2000 is a mighty improvement

It's about time we English had something to feel good about? Let's just hope that hooligans don't leave an unpleasant taste in our mouths?:good:

DgxQgdgWkAEfmgV.jpg

Not getting carried away   lol

1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

It's about time we English had something to feel good about? Let's just hope that hooligans don't leave an unpleasant taste in our mouths?:good:

We havnt had  any hooligans for years  we still have a name from the 70s and 80s    but in regard to a organised firm those days have gone.   Marseille in 98 was the last real time we had a go 

4 hours ago, Deep Snow please said:

It's not cowardice, it's pragmatism. Belgium are clearly intending to throw the game going by the team they're indicating their fielding. How is beating a fourth rate Belgium side going to have any aid in the last 16. Are routes to the final could potentially be either

The choice is the opportunity to play Brazil in the Quarter Finals and one of France/Uruguay/Argentina/Portugal in the semis or

to play Sweden/Switzerland in the Quarter Finals and most likely Spain but with Croatia/Denmark/Russia as back up teams in the semi-finals. 

It's not our fault other results have made it much more advantageous for us to lose the game, and we should be ashamed for trying to do so. Gareth Southgate would never publicly say he's trying to lose a match but I really doubt he'll try and win tonight. 

We've always struggled against the Swedes.