Windy?
Summer Sun

World Cup 2018

9 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Not worse than this surely!?

Hahaha that's like something off FIFA.

2 minutes ago, NUT said:

And as the presentation starts the rain unleashes itself

That's all Sepp Blatter's fault...arranging a wet t-shirt competition for all the women in the crowd!:D

• Like 1

Well Im not sure how France won that  Croatia by far the better team   how the ref saw that as a penalty i will never know   Plus the first goal which was won by a dive  Croatia very unlucky    anyway very good World cup  VAR  well im still not sure   some of the refs decisions during the world cup have been poor. Anyway onwards to the euros.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

France had a few good counter attacking moves in the 2nd half and they looked clinical when that happened but the rest of the match (the majority) they were second best to Croatia. Referee was poor and must of felt like Croatia were playing against France with an extra player.

This morning in the Telegraph Kane says: 'I have proved I can score at an elite level' - let's not get big player big head syndrome Harry, yes if you can call Penalties, a fluky deflected shot and a tap in. His best goal was probably the last minute headed goal against Tunisia which says it all.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Pretty poor ratings for the final I guess the early start time and hot weather didn't help

BBC 1

Average 7.95m 

Peak: 10.26m

ITV

Average 2.50m 

Peak: 3.48m

1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

France had a few good counter attacking moves in the 2nd half and they looked clinical when that happened but the rest of the match (the majority) they were second best to Croatia. Referee was poor and must of felt like Croatia were playing against France with an extra player.

This morning in the Telegraph Kane says: 'I have proved I can score at an elite level' - let's not get big player big head syndrome Harry, yes if you can call Penalties, a fluky deflected shot and a tap in. His best goal was probably the last minute headed goal against Tunisia which says it all.

Wow... Can't believe he said that, really has let the hype of winning the golden boot go over his head, really did not deserve it at all. I'm not going to say scoring penalties are easy as there is a lot of pressure but the possibilities of the striker scoring outweighs than of him missing it. 

Really stand by what I said though, the fact we got to the semis has really clouded people's thoughts on this world cup, I see the same old problems of little creativity and passing for the sack of passing and I have never seen an England team so direct before either. Then you got Southgate who has done nothing tactically which helps the team when they are struggling so I'm really not convinced by him at all. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Wow... Can't believe he said that, really has let the hype of winning the golden boot go over his head, really did not deserve it at all. I'm not going to say scoring penalties are easy as there is a lot of pressure but the possibilities of the striker scoring outweighs than of him missing it. 

Really stand by what I said though, the fact we got to the semis has really clouded people's thoughts on this world cup, I see the same old problems of little creativity and passing for the sack of passing and I have never seen an England team so direct before either. Then you got Southgate who has done nothing tactically which helps the team when they are struggling so I'm really not convinced by him at all. 

Yes, England don't yet have a genuine number 10 to unlock the door. I think either Grealish or Maddison might yet fill that role, but they aren't ready yet. In 4 years' time though...

2 hours ago, Geordiesnow said:

I remember the Taylor years. That was direct.  Still think we should have taken Shelvey  Pinging balls from Midfield   may have helped with our chances from open play

• Like 1

I stand by what I said the other day. I'm 62 now and have seen every World Cup, since 1966. I simply don't buy into BBC's , "It was a brilliant tournament", utter nonsense. During their own commentary yesterday, there had been relatively few goals from "open play". Surely that's testament to the fact that, on the whole, creative flair, was lacking. Sorry to drone on but I've seen many better World Cups, than this one. Yes England's youngsters did well, just can't help thinking that they missed a "trick", in that Semi-Final, against Croatia. The draw had opened up so favourably for them, with so many of the "big" teams, having to book, an early flight home: Germany, Spain, Argentina and Brazil, with Holland and Italy, not even qualifying!! It may well be sometime before England get such an opportunity. Sport, like life, can be a question of timing and being in the right place, at the right time. Perhaps this tournament came a couple of years, too early for them. 

Just like other World Cups and European Championships, saw an England side suffer from a Summer "malaise", at a major tornament. We saw again, in a few matches, an England performance, "tail-off" during the second half. I think, it's no coincidence that two of England's best performances were on "home soil", their World Cup win in '66 and Euro '96., gained during the relative coolness, of an English Summer. Mind you, I wonder how they would've got on, in this Summer's scorching conditions. Certainly has been scorching here, in S.E.London/N.W.Kent, for a few weeks, now!!

Don't know what the answer is, to being able to perform in very warm conditions,  I think the rigours of the Premiership season, seem to often take it's toll. Footballers diets, seemed to have improved and I think having an overseas coaching team, has helped greatly, in that respect. It's also pleasing to note that the old "binge" drinking alcohol mentality, seems to be, a thing of the past. 

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 2

On 15/07/2018 at 17:50, Summer Sun said:

He seems to have a big issue against VAR for some reason

It was a clear pen

A very harsh penalty in my book, no distance at all between the attacker and defender.

The free kick wasn't a free kick either.

However 2 great goals by France in the 2nd half. 

1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

I stand by what I said the other day. I'm 62 now and have seen every World Cup, since 1966. I simply don't buy into BBC's , "It was a brilliant tournament", utter nonsense. During their own commentary yesterday, there had been relatively few goals from "open play". Surely that's testament to the fact that, on the whole, creative flair, was lacking. Sorry to drone on but I've seen many better World Cups, than this one. Yes England's youngsters did well, just can't help thinking that they missed a "trick", in that Semi-Final, against Croatia. The draw had opened up so favourably for them, with so many of the "big" teams, having to book, an early flight home: Germany, Spain, Argentina and Brazil, with Holland and Italy, not even qualifying!! It may well be sometime before England get such an opportunity. Sport, like life, can be a question of timing and being in the right place, at the right time. Perhaps this tournament came a couple of years, too early for them. 

Just like other World Cups and European Championships, saw an England side suffer from a Summer "malaise", at a major tornament. We saw again, in a few matches, an England performance, "tail-off" during the second half. I think, it's no coincidence that two of England's best performances were on "home soil", their World Cup win in '66 and Euro '96., gained during the relative coolness, of an English Summer. Mind you, I wonder how they would've got on, in this Summer's scorching conditions. Certainly has been scorching here, in S.E.London/N.W.Kent, for a few weeks, now!!

Don't know what the answer is, to being able to perform in very warm conditions,  I think the rigours of the Premiership season, seem to often take it's toll. Footballers diets, seemed to have improved and I think having an overseas coaching team, has helped greatly, in that respect. It's also pleasing to note that the old "binge" drinking alcohol mentality, seems to be, a thing of the past. 

Regards,

Tom.

I agree, Tom.. The only good game I can remember was between Spain v Portugal.. There were moments in other games but the majority of the time it was dull football.

Another crap thing was, the amount of play acting going on.

• Like 1

not long to go before the next one😜

England have moved from 12th to 6th in the FIFA rankings after getting to the semi-final of this year's world cup