Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Western Isle Summer

Posted

Whats going on with our weather? I live in the Western Isles of Scotland and this has been the worst "summer" since I have lived here. Some people are saying its worst summer since the 1800s.

are there any signs of this current pattern changing? I know the SST out in the Atlantic have been well below normal. Computer models aren't handing it at all well. We are getting forecasts of sunshine and just being stuck under endless grey skies. 2 Days in a row now and all 3 XC weather, Met office and Netweather have gotten our forecast totally wrong.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Unfortunately for you Cookie the further North West you are the worse the weather has been this Spring and Summer and you can't get any further NW than you.

I was up in Lewis and Harris a couple of weeks ago and it was cool, wet and windy to say the least. Everything saturated and growth way behind normal. People said that if this was pre easy transport etc that it would have led to famine.

Also plenty evidence of the big January storm still about.

My cousins fishing boat is still in his drive and the moor is too boggy to get the quad bike out. Peats struggling to get dry too.

No sign of any change in the near future either I'm afraid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

To follow up here is a fairly typical weather distribution chart for this Summer. Temps and rainfall follow a similar pattern.

June sunshine

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate-anomalies/#?tab=climateAnomalies

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Verdana;}

{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;}

\deftab720

\pard\pardeftab720\parhyphenfactor20\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs22 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0

\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 }

Edit oops sorry map did not copy. Various anomaly maps can be seen on the link though. Shows sunshine in Lewis as 30% of June average. Rest of Scotland below. NEngland an N I around average. Rest of England above ans SE well above.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Yeah it hasn't been good with constant low pressure systems coming off the Atlantic I was out in Barra for most of June and July this year and some days I had to ask myself is it January or July? There doesn't seem to be any sign of it stopping at the moment at least not until mid August. I hope we get a good spell of weather towards the end of summer.