Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The recent record temperature at Heathrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The straws being clutched by climate change deniers are getting increasingly desperate it seems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The question is why locate weather stations near runways ,that the main point i"m making ,were as for example the local weatherman near to me used to feed his data to the met office from  my area,Being that away from built up areas were city heat  can distort your readings.

And what's the difference between now and 2006? Please enlighten us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The question is why locate weather stations near runways ,that the main point i"m making ,were as for example the local weatherman near to me used to feed his data to the met office from  my area,Being that away from built up areas were city heat  can distort your readings.

Er, built up areas are where most people live and readings there are as valid as non urban locations. Why locate weather stations in a field where nobody lives? Then that reading would be accurate for that field but not the town up the road. So are we to just record temps/conditions outside of towns and cities? You'd have to do that everywhere in the world lol........plus Heathrow is not, as people suppose, completely surrounded by built up areas. To the west is mainly open ground with more scattered development.

Posted

........plus Heathrow is not, as people suppose, completely surrounded by built up areas. To the west is mainly open ground with more scattered development.

Don't fall into the Deniers' Trap, SB??? :D

Posted

It's quite useful if you are passing weather information to aircraft concerning current airfield conditions to have the source of the info. actually at at the airfield rather than ten miles away although admittedly things like RVR are automatic these days. And once again, all together now, the readings are not distorted because they are accurate readings under standard conditions for that environment.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Don't fall into the Deniers' Trap, SB??? :D

Denier's Trap? Is that something to do with tights?

Posted

Denier's Trap? Is that something to do with tights?

It's what killed the dinosaurs... :D

I posted on the Summer thread a comparison of Heathrow record with the nearest neighbouring stations (Northolt, Kew Gardens and Hampton Water Works) - https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82826-summer-2015/page-45#entry3226743

There is no mystery or conspiracy but Heathrow shows a greater temperature response to strong sunshine.

There have been attempts to show the effects of aircraft jetwash at Heathrow compared to Northolt by looking at the difference during the time of the Icelandic Eyjafjallajökull volcanic eruptions and the closure of European airspace in April 2010 which is interesting.

London Weather Centre is also situated on a rooftop in central London, so would be an obvious candidate for artificially boosted temperatures given the amount of concrete and tarmac.

Though generally, a rooftop site would be cooler than one at ground level the same location.
Regarding stations such as Gravesend, the article in Weather linked to by Knocker is a must read.

this thread reminds me of the 42C recorded at Wisley Airfield in July 2006 which caused a big debate and finally it was never accepted.

Wisley is a Royal Horticultural Society garden.

Edited by Interitus
  • Like 2