Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 16/07/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

The early morning flickering was indeed from the cell(s) as they passed out into the North Sea. Last night was particularly significant because very quickly the left-over clag and scud cleared, and I think a fine atmospheric haze acted like a conductor for the light which amplified the effect. I stood in Chertsey at about 3am and could still quite clearly see forks from the merged storm system - this would have been at the very least 50 to 75 miles away! Even half an hour later I was still seeing atmospheric flashes despite being at the other side of my Dad's house. I'm reckoning some of the flashes originated from strikes over 100 miles away easily.

It was an amazing fully-fledged storm by then. You could easily make out the shape of a giant mature cumulonimbus with the bigger flashes of light - it looked like the illustrations you get in weather books.

It was strobing and flickering like a candle.

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

Any potential over NW London again tonight? Can see some Ac above the house at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I've been keenly observing this for a few days now... This summer is starting to get fired up and despite some very early season misfires (due mostly to the atmosphere, sea and surface temps not quite getting where we needed them) these small but regular plume set-ups seem to be delivering the goods.

Some more widespread storms wouldn't be unwelcome but I'm quite happy with a weekly rinse-and repeat - at least until October ;-)

Also I'd like to add that on reflection last night's events were particularly enjoyable because I learned a few things (which I always do - being a novice chaser!) but also got to experience and capture some remarkable lightning forks. Maybe not as professional as I'd like but that's the fun of practicing I guess!

If I had the option I would actually quite happily donate next week's action to those in the northern and western areas who missed out last night - as well as those in Kent and extreme SE who didn't get anything despite a level 2. Feel your pain and good luck for the next few weeks!

Ok back to work now...

Good remark. This rinse and repeat idea seems to be all well but it would be nice to see the track of the storms be slightly different each Thursday-Saturday 'attempt' so the areas that always miss them (Guildford) finally get a chance and that the areas that have repeatedly done well this summer, miss out for a change. 

The issue this year is that the storms form in one area, usually not too far from the Guildford area then move away in a straight line (or lines) developing further north to N.E. or E.N.E. depending on the upper wind direction. The area of storms is usually very narrow, so coverage is very limited unless sufficiently lucky to be in the firing line. Frontal storms developing at an angle to the prevailing direction of movement then moving in an arc will cover a much greater area, an example being 17th/18th July 2014 which was an impressive event even in Guildford. Frontal storm activity has been lacking this summer and despite all these thunder events - thunder has only been heard on 4 days this year, last night's show-down amounting to two distant muffled rumbles. However the lightning, about 30 flashes, is the best this year SO FAR (last two words emphasized as I really hope there will be more chances and that we are not descending into a horrible cool and wet August and September having had the warmth of the summer). 

Rain is expected as Guildford area is in drought, the last measurable rain being 1.2 mm on 28th June, 19 days ago, and last reasonable total, 6.5 mm on 22nd June. Pity this extremely dry summer is an 'unsettled' one and not a sunny one. Looks like 2015 is shaping up to be like 1921, an extremely dry year but have little info on whether the summer was good or incidence of thundery activity.

Dry spells like this, Summer 2015 currently much drier than 1976!, often lead to a compensatory wet period. A hot thundery wet August like 1997 followed by dry sunny September like 1997 (holiday planned in first half) would be a perfect development on the current state. The resulting wet weather and potential for a decent storm to arrive before the holiday would make the next 6 weeks more enjoyable than the last 6, and I promise to contribute something better than moan posts on this site!   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

So hail roar is what I heard A LOT a fortnight ago when storms hit the SE. That explains it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I have heard this a fair bit, a noise just before it chucks it down.  Didn't know it had a name.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So hail roar is what I heard A LOT a fortnight ago when storms hit the SE. That explains it.

Maybe yes, maybe no, Lauren... Were there any reports of 'giant hail' near you last night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

If anyone's interested, finally completed the finishing touches on my July 3-4 thunderstorm footage. I've cut down 10 minutes footage into just over 60 seconds, so a lot of flashing, but please bear in mind that my camera doesn't seem to be the best for lightning, and is no DSLR. Just a regular digital olympus. 

I will put together my footage of last night's distant anvil lightning at some point soon. 

• Like 5

Posted

Maybe yes, maybe no, Lauren... Were there any reports of 'giant hail' near you last night?

Not last night but that storm we had a couple of weeks ago. There was most certainly hail, although it didn't fall on me.

We had a huge hail shower last month that I heard it too.

Posted

Also why does lightning seem to flicker, even when it seems to be just one strike?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

If anyone's interested... <snip>

Hard work to put that together - Great job.. like the lightning map at the end, nice touch. Looking forward to the next instalment (-;

Was the first piece of music by Joby Talbot by any chance?

edit; oops seem to have messed up your quote Supercell - apologies

Edited by Pixel

Any potential over NW London again tonight? Can see some Ac above the house at the moment

Think they're the remnants of last nights storms lol. Next chance of a repeat possibly Wednesday and Thursday when temperatures climb above 27C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Hard work to put that together - Great job.. like the lightning map at the end, nice touch. Looking forward to the next instalment (-;

Was the first piece of music by Joby Talbot by any chance?

edit; oops seem to have messed up your quote Supercell - apologies

Thanks! Btw - most of the strikes were east of me, over London way. Got a few close (ish) CG's but nothing much. Same happened last night funnily enough, all east except the odd few. 

First music piece is Steve Roach - Turn to Light. One of my favourite artists, does some relaxing and alternatively powerful ambience pieces.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

The early morning flickering was indeed from the cell(s) as they passed out into the North Sea. Last night was particularly significant because very quickly the left-over clag and scud cleared, and I think a fine atmospheric haze acted like a conductor for the light which amplified the effect. I stood in Chertsey at about 3am and could still quite clearly see forks from the merged storm system - this would have been at the very least 50 to 75 miles away! Even half an hour later I was still seeing atmospheric flashes despite being at the other side of my Dad's house. I'm reckoning some of the flashes originated from strikes over 100 miles away easily.

It was an amazing fully-fledged storm by then. You could easily make out the shape of a giant mature cumulonimbus with the bigger flashes of light - it looked like the illustrations you get in weather books.

It was strobing and flickering like a candle.

Hi Flash Bang,people around here also reported seeing distant lightning early this morning with reports from as far north as Chesterfield.I witnessed the Lightning at around 12.30 am way off to my SE.The nearest storm was just south of Peterborough,so that's the best part of 80 miles away.Very interesting to see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Also why does lightning seem to flicker, even when it seems to be just one strike?

This is probably because it is very rarely just one strike, there is often multiple strokes within a strike. Sometimes you can visibly see a bolt pulsing a number of times and other times it can appear like just one strike. I have filmed a lot of lightning over the last several years and a lot of them consist of multiple strokes that can only be seen when I slow the video down. The same would likely be true for lightning within the cloud (sheet lightning), possibly even more so as the flickering flash may involve several strokes of lightning transcending from one part of the cloud to another - sometimes visible as crawler lightning.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I saw the most surreal thing 10 minutes ago - what looked like a funnel cloud hanging out of the base of a cumulus. There was very slight rotation...but to cap it off, it actually roped out. Very strange, just wish I had my phone on me!

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Flash Bang,people around here also reported seeing distant lightning early this morning with reports from as far north as Chesterfield.I witnessed the Lightning at around 12.30 am way off to my SE.The nearest storm was just south of Peterborough,so that's the best part of 80 miles away.Very interesting to see.

I could see distant flashes off to the SE at around 12:30 ish and was totally baffled when i checked the radar to see the furthest storm being a huge distance away! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Ok I'll try writing all that again. Thanks safari I wanted you to refresh the page mid paragraph, I really did.

Anyway I was trying to say I have done a bit of work to some of my shots last night - just recolouring / contrast / exposure / cropping and sharpening (I had my focus out a bit, which is slightly annoying but hey).

I won't deluge the forum with them all at once but here's my favourite:

post-22340-0-14334800-1437171224_thumb.j

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Can someone explain why elevated lightning isn't as loud as surface based lightning at the same distance? I have heard thunder from a fair distance before, last night most of the lightning was elevated but it was hardly audible? I know Cumulonimbus can get to about 60000ft but I dont think those storms yesterday where achieving that height? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

When I was watching the lightning from Thursday night into Friday morning I heard what sounded like a train twice between a short space of time at reasonable volume whilst the storm was getting closer. I have never heard trains from here as they are quite some distance away the other side of the city. Just out of nowhere. Can't think what else it could be. No industrial unit working at that late hour.

Anyway a couple of screen grabs from my video of the same strike.

post-7331-0-07642100-1437204557_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-39727000-1437204585_thumb.pn

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Clouds bubbling away nicely here, nice to see some convective weather...they do appear to be capped however

post-17320-0-60400000-1437209066_thumb.j

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

You'd think by looking at some of these clouds that we would be in for a fairly good day convection-wise, but I can't see much happening at all today as the air is quite stable and the convective potential is low. On top of that, the lapse rates aren't all that impressive and neither are the temperatures at 850hpa.

post-21671-0-48939000-1437210004_thumb.p post-21671-0-63328100-1437210005_thumb.p post-21671-0-07000800-1437210003_thumb.p post-21671-0-06298800-1437210007_thumb.p

There will probably just be cloud and maybe the odd light shower today, unfortunately.