Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 16/07/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

sorry to ask but here in Bridgnorth, Shropshire we have had cloud cover all day with no breaks. Will this mean no storms? As had no surface heating?

I believe the storms are elevated so ground conditions will play no part in events. Just have to radar watch I'm afraid but it's unlikely tonight so far West!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sun and storms

Its thundering overhead , heavy rain too.

yeah !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

sorry to ask but here in Bridgnorth, Shropshire we have had cloud cover all day with no breaks. Will this mean no storms? As had no surface heating?

Unless you are planning to stay awake all night, I would think it very unlikely you'll see anything other than rain by the time you hit the sack.

Posted

Things prepping up nicely to the SE of here, unusual for storms to be heading this way from that direction! Usually all from the SW or West. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A couple of posts removed so just a friendly reminder to keep the thread on topic.....thanks :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

I wish that beast to east would move more westerly inland rather trundle North/North West. Producing some potent showers that are floating around COV and Leicester 

Posted

i wont be able to sleep knowing it may happen, im that scared, only at night tho. 

I wouldn't worry so much. The storms are elevated and the lightning I have seen is all Intracloud (IC) This means it is more commonly known as sheet lightning, the most benign type. If it was a convective type storm with Fork lightning (CG) then it would be a concern.

Enjoy the light show if it arrives but don't worry unnecessarily  :wink:

Posted

Nice little storm has broken out near to Ely, connected to the same line as the storm near Luton/Hertford.

There is actually a line developing and pushing NNW.

Posted

Looks like there is some development moving NNW who knows Storm Chaser we might be in luck. Touch Wood  :db:

Edited by whoissean

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

nice to see some homegrown action for some of us who have been pulling our hair out at this plume set up not playing ball :)

blitzortung is showing a rash of strikes along the A1 corridor, and also a couple detected near Oxford (if any one can confirm the last).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

If all these showers and storms are moving up from the SE tonight,how come the wind here in Derbys is from the NW direction,with the clouds definitely heading south to South East?!.

Posted

Localised wind direction at mid levels.... Low moving north..... Rain moving n/nw.... Damp looking out.... More drizzle....was smokey all morning.... Moor fire with wind blowing smoke towards hyde... Not warm or humid out though...

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

Incoming!

Webcam from Rotterdam:

http://www.virtualvisit.nl/webcam/index.htm

​And this one:

https://www.maasvlakte2.com/nl/index/

Aw I can't watch it on my phone :'(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes, snow, thunder, hot heat, ice cold, etc

woop woop, very loud thunder heard here :) looks like that cell near ely is coming straight for me, still some miles away from here but wow that was loud  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Pouring down here

Bone dry here!!.And I'm only 10 miles south of you!!.

Posted

It is so muggy here (Reading), seen the line of thundery ness stretching NE of here, and something possibly forming SE of here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Well, it's currently raining here. As of now, 5.0 mm of rain has fallen so far today here, way below what I thought would fall by now. A little dissapointed to be honest, I thought more people would be affected by thunderstorms today, my last chance is tonight but even that looks incredibly unlikely.

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 2

Posted

If all these showers and storms are moving up from the SE tonight,how come the wind here in Derbys is from the NW direction,with the clouds definitely heading south to South East?!.

Your  local just live up the road from you in Denby. Looking at the radar things seem to be moving NNE. The predicted models from MO/BBC weren't so correct. The South East got a battering. The other batch of storms is trundling up from France  but that looks to be moving N North East skirmishing South East/ Eastern Parts of the UK, with a few hefty showers/sqaul line pepping up further inland.I wouldn't be too excited as the intensity of these squally/showers may have died out by the time they reach us.

We might get lucky. 

Posted

Aw I can't watch it on my phone :'(

The best bit was just before the storm arrived - a light grey skyline being invaded by menacing black cloud.  Once the storm hit there was tons lof intra-cloud lightning, gusty wind and very heavy rain.

• Like 1

Posted

Your  local just live up the road from you in Denby. Looking at the radar things seem to be moving NNE. The predicted models from MO/BBC weren't so correct. The South East got a battering. The other batch of storms is trundling up from France  but that looks to be moving N North East skirmishing South East/ Eastern Parts of the UK, with a few hefty showers/sqaul line pepping up further inland.I wouldn't be too excited as the intensity of these squally/showers may have died out by the time they reach us.

We might get lucky. 

The current runs on the UKMO precip model look good for our area, after midnight we get some heavy rain here and eastwards