Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 16/07/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

About to experience a Parisian beauty bearing in on me! Looking forward to this one and it's level 2 estofex warning along with it!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I had to share this as it is amazing http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=20b_1438753392

Oh wow! I've flown around storms, but nothing like that!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

About to experience a Parisian beauty bearing in on me! Looking forward to this one and it's level 2 estofex warning along with it!!

Down here in Limousin, I have to wait until tomorrow, but there are still some lovely convective, unstable skies...enjoy your Parisian storms - I did hope you'd get them!

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted

Down here in Limousin, I have to wait until tomorrow, but there are still some lovely convective, unstable skies...enjoy your Parisian storms - I did hope you'd get them!

Just skirted East of us the main core, but heard some awesome deep booms and witnessed very heavy rain and saw a fair share of lighting. Not bad!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Will be down in Sanary Sur Mer near Toulon next week and Google Weather has us down for t-storms in the morning on the Friday! :-D

Shame the rest of the week is gonna be settled, but still time for change and I do want at least SOME sun on our holiday LoL!

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Well getting to Mexico had an interesting start, firstly 2 cbs together looked like guys with sombreros dancing welcoming me looking from the plane.

Had a great look at turkey towers from above as I was coming in to land. A couple of times it felt like I was perched on top of them. Great liking to white candy floss close up. I expected there to be some motion at the top of them but even at that close range they just looked to be hanging.

Then I'm sure there was a funnel that lasted some minutes which looked to rope out as we were about to leave the plane. I did check on the ground on the hills it was over but couldn't see anything as it was a bit of a way off. After an hour of getting through baggage etc we were on the drive to my gf's brother's house there was lightning in the distance. After a while we got to bed and was woken up by thunder as an elevated storm was over us. Was absoulutely tired though as I had been awake over 24 hours as its 6 hours behind over here.

After all this and initially seeing Houston Texas which looked big and then seeing Mexico city OMG it is HUGE!!! My mouth was open in amazement! I had run out of charge and missed the best part of the whole trip!

Fantastic start. Its not crazy hot now but it is a bit humid. Thunderstorms and showers forecast for this afternoon too.

• Like 2

Posted

Well getting to Mexico had an interesting start, firstly 2 cbs together looked like guys with sombreros dancing welcoming me looking from the plane.

Had a great look at turkey towers from above as I was coming in to land. A couple of times it felt like I was perched on top of them. Great liking to white candy floss close up. I expected there to be some motion at the top of them but even at that close range they just looked to be hanging.

Then I'm sure there was a funnel that lasted some minutes which looked to rope out as we were about to leave the plane. I did check on the ground on the hills it was over but couldn't see anything as it was a bit of a way off. After an hour of getting through baggage etc we were on the drive to my gf's brother's house there was lightning in the distance. After a while we got to bed and was woken up by thunder as an elevated storm was over us. Was absoulutely tired though as I had been awake over 24 hours as its 6 hours behind over here.

After all this and initially seeing Houston Texas which looked big and then seeing Mexico city OMG it is HUGE!!! My mouth was open in amazement! I had run out of charge and missed the best part of the whole trip!

Fantastic start. Its not crazy hot now but it is a bit humid. Thunderstorms and showers forecast for this afternoon too.

Have a great time out there - and hope you have some memorable storms later on... It's another world compared to the ones we get here in the UK. I remember in Beijing years ago we had storms on the one of the first nights (it was before I was properly into the whole severe weather thing) but it was utterly awesome! So much really clear elevated cloud-cloud lightning which I initially took to be a faulty hotel sign outside my window!

Storms on foreign shores really are a different beast entirely...

Posted

Have a great time out there - and hope you have some memorable storms later on... It's another world compared to the ones we get here in the UK. I remember in Beijing years ago we had storms on the one of the first nights (it was before I was properly into the whole severe weather thing) but it was utterly awesome! So much really clear elevated cloud-cloud lightning which I initially took to be a faulty hotel sign outside my window!

Storms on foreign shores really are a different beast entirely...

Yeah I hope I get to see something note worthy, already had a good start with the storm and probable funnel. Im guessing stronger updrafts could help to boost my chances of funnels here. If the conditions are right then bingo, trouble is it never seems to be like that around our way although we do tend to get a few storms.

Saw these viewing towards Little Rock Arkansas

post-7331-0-65912800-1438978322_thumb.jppost-7331-0-02030300-1438978385_thumb.jp

And this whilst crossing the Atlantic.

post-7331-0-45696600-1438978495_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

Got this over the notre dam as the storm cleared off towards Reims and onto Belgium. Happy days!

post-17277-0-33125500-1438981984_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Nice one, so good to have those memories!

Its 4.16 pm here now and a few rumbles now over Mexico city.

Posted

Nice one, so good to have those memories!

Its 4.16 pm here now and a few rumbles now over Mexico city.

Glad you're getting your fix over there too!

Just about clipped in on the action here. Dijon to the East took a real battering by the look of it.

Defo worth going just across to France for the storms. They get it so much better due to the proximity of positioning with the big land fetch with aid from the Pyrenees, Spanish plateau and BoB.

Posted

Well looking great for the Marseille area for Sunday and again later in the week on thurs and Friday (although there's a wedding on Friday so don't know how I'll get chance to watch the storms :-P)

Possibly storms on Tuesday too, depending who you believe...

Posted

Got some great night time lightning before it got light, which started at 0500 here in Limousin - dog and I went into the garden to watch. Some further rumbles of thunder just now. Looks like it will go on for a while...

• Like 2

Posted

Taken from a friends Facebook:

Malta storm.

post-15135-0-67980200-1439031936_thumb.j

• Like 8

Posted

We had another thunderstorm last night, woke me up about midnight. Its not the best view from the window but the lightning was pretty frequent. Mostly just flashes and plenty of rumbles. 1 or 2 forks seen but cloud to cloud. I got a few minutes of recording.

post-7331-0-40949600-1439033403_thumb.pn

Edited by Greenday

Posted

And here's a video of the Malta waterspout:

https://twitter.com/ohmiyan2011/status/629986559039647744

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Closer to home, and the BBC are showing the lightning symbol with that rain across the south on Monday morning.  :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

After what has been a fairly quiet period on the storm front for most (i am aware there have been some storms around) it looks like we could see a few opportunities for storm fun next week. The main threat is midweek on with the models starting to agree now on some thundery weather affecting the southern part of the UK. There is still some uncertainty on how far north the risk goes and also how far west. 

In the nearer time frame there is the possibility on Sun night and Monday of seeing some thundery activity developing and moving SW to NE along a southeastward moving cold front - which is the dividing line between the hot, humid air to the south and the cooler, fresher air to the north. It is this front that will eventually turn into a warm front and move back north again from midweek drawing up the plume from the continent. Although the cold front is getting squeezed out by high pressure it does look to reinvigorate somewhat on Monday. Where is affected will be down to where the cold front is situated, this still uncertain too with some models placing it over N England, but others across the S Midlands and anywhere in between.

Although CAPE is rather meager there is 200-300j/kg with a LI of -2 on NMM. Considering 60 knots of deep layer shear and a humid air-mass in place - GFS showing 22-25c with dew points of around 16c - it is one to watch I feel.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Ooh, thanks Supacell. Will charge my camera for mid-week just in case  :)

• Like 1

Posted

Maybe something to keep a eye on tomorrow and in the week,In the mean time if anyone is interested Kelley Williamson is streaming on TVN from Hanover KS could get interesting soon.

Posted

Careful what you wish for...but enjoy what you get! We've had nearly 24 hours of rain here in Limousin...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

Hey All,

I've hopefully attached this right - this was a supercell over lake Garda, Italy 29/7. Level 1 warning at the time, and after this was taken, severe winds came across the lake and caused quite a bit of damage, with Parasols smapping and people's dinner going everywhere- awesome expierence! :)

I'll post some more after this - WAs there from 20/7 until 3/8 - when I arrived (after a grueling overnight train from Paris to Verona), it was 36c at 9:00 am ... hot as hell for 5 days, then got very thundery as the temp started to drop a bit - mainly popcorn stuff though as the dynamics weren't there. In the second week, the Jet was racing overhead, and when cape was enough and convection wasn't getting shredded, this was the result -

Sam

post-17064-0-07224000-1439114830_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

hints maybe of something elevated tomorrow morning across the west country, as a frontal wave pushes through SW to NE in conjunction with some modest mid level instability with some moist warm air in the mix (moderate theta-e values)....In all likely hood, it'll be dynamic as opposed to convective rainfall, but the odd clap of thunder or embedded cell can't be ruled out IMHO