Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 16/07/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Welwyn Garden City had good viewing just now, I bet. Still numerous strikes to my direct east again. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

pic's and vids please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I've only got cloud flickers (some extremely bright) to my north and west and south west...that line is simply not budging so may call it quits soon and scuttle off to bed...I did say to myself that I'd wait until midnight so will hold tight for another 45 mins...but signs not great for anywhere east of say Heathrow and south of say Cambridge currently...oh there we go mocked again, convective style precipitation for about 60 seconds lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Guys, I am seriously starting to get freaked out now. There is lightning all around, but no thunder. Have a look on lightning maps.

We had that the other week. It's just cos it's really elevated. It's eerie though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

We had that the other week. It's just cos it's really elevated. It's eerie though.

Yeah. It is freaky, and it feels unnatural (even though it is natural - if you see what I mean).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All types

It clear in Warminster in Wiltshire I want to see a thunderstorm near to to night but as aways the no thunder area again more the east of UK as usel

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Flashing visible to my NW from the Watford cell.Other than that it looks like quite a narrow 'sweet spot' tonight unless things organise further to the North of London.

No moans from me, two weeks ago was awesome here in SE London.Just not to be this time!

Posted

Lots of lightning now stretching from my North right down to my SW - heaviest raindrops just passed over...its desperately trying here but no cigar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Quite a line of heavy ppn coming in over the Irish sea now. Steadily moving NE. Looks really bright on radar so lets hope that keeps beefing up as it pushes over wales and england. Its long enough to catch most of us it looks like. its not giving lightning atm though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All types

Where is the south and west thunderstorm going my way in Warminster in Wiltshire to night and is still humid and sticky over here and I get over extended about thunderstorms because I got asperger syndrome autism

Posted

you can practically see the line on the radar where there should be decent convection essex, kent, brighton - but just not happening

looks like out of luck :(

Posted

Why are people not hearing thunder with elevated lightning? Surely it can't be that high? You can hear thunder from lightning say 6 maybe more miles away, is the lightning higher up than 6 miles??

Edited by Speedway Slider

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Quite a line of heavy ppn coming in over the Irish sea now. Steadily moving NE. Looks really bright on radar so lets hope that keeps beefing up as it pushes over wales and england. Its long enough to catch most of us it looks like. its not giving lightning atm though.

Yes Chris,keeping my eye on that as it's our only hope,unless something fires up in between the front and the cells to the SE.

• Like 1

Posted

Rain bordering on torrential here now and has been raining heavily for a good 10 minutes now. Alas, the corker doesn't seem to want to pop completely.

Posted

in Chelmsford we've had about 10 mins of "medium" rain - thats it

oh well - still plenty of summer left

and I'm off to Barcelona in August - so maybe a chance then !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Can see the distant flashes now! Very frequent. Think this has got west Norfolks name on it though.

Posted

Why are people not hearing thunder with elevated lightning? Surely it can't be that high? You can hear thunder from lightning say 6 maybe more miles away, is the lightning higher up than 6 miles??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Why are people not hearing thunder with elevated lightning? Surely I can't be that high? You can hear thunder from lightning say 6 maybe more miles away, it the lightning higher up than 6 miles??

12-13 miles is usually the limit, depending on the conditions.

I think it's quite practical that elevated lightning is followed by low thunder because the air is much thinner at altitiude, so the sound energy can't be passed onto other air molecules as easily, as they're further apart and there's less of them.

Edited by Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Active cell now nr Thetford ahead of the main area of storms (which look to stay west of my area). may get lucky with this little chap though :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

In all the years I have tried to catch a good lightning strike, downloaded various apps to try and get a shot! My 13 year old daughter has just come down and showed me this taken from her bedroom window on her iPhone!!attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Well done her :D:clapping:

i give her a pat on the back for that,stunning shot.

Posted

Looks like yet another cell trying to fire just north of Portsmouth...with that trough feature (which I was expecting to be aligned differently to what it evidently is) I suspect risk of flooding and yet more joy for the lucky ones this evening....come on nudge East you little bugger lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Plenty of activity here in Cambridge, cloud-ground strikes, increasingly heavy rain too. Looks like we got lucky and are right in the firing line today!